« Beason showing his star potential | Main | 'Any given Sunday' truer than ever »

September 24, 2008

Wharton practices, but is still limited

Offensive guard Travelle Wharton, who missed the past two games with a knee injury, returned to practice on a limited basis Wednesday. Linebacker Thomas Davis (ankle), offensive tackle Jordan Gross (ankle) and receiver Ryne Robinson also had limited participation.

Not practicing were linebacker Na'il Diggs (shoulder), safety Chris Harris (knee), defensive end Tyler Brayton (ankle) and defensive end Charles Johnson (thigh).

The Panthers added linebacker/special teams player Donte Curry to the roster, replacing rookie Dan Connor, who's missing the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Curry was cut last week to make room for Steve Smith, who had missed the first two games of the season because of suspension.

The Panthers also added linebacker Casper Brinkley to their practice squad. Brinkley was among the team's first cuts in training camp and is a former South Carolina star. Receiver Titus Ryan was cut to make room for Brinkley.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on September 24, 2008 at 01:21 PM | Permalink

Comments

It's a good thing (or at least I hope) Frank Omiyalalala's services were retained! Someone recently posted a comment about how Jeff Otah keeps getting false start penalties.

1) on this OL who doesn't
2) he's the one thats the rookie and new not only to the team but) to the NFL
3) shouldn't Gross (who's been holding out for a better contract for a couple of years) be the leader of the offensive line and set the example? Wait, come to think of it, Mr. drive killer himself probably has been setting the standards. Otah is a rookie--- what's Gross' excuse?

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 24, 2008 4:07:26 PM

I agree the false start penalties are killing the offense! I for one have never thought Jordan Gross was that good!

Posted by: Kenny Davis | Sep 24, 2008 4:30:17 PM

Some previous posts about Jake have been pretty interesting too...

"To answer the TDs vs. fumbles question about Jake Delhomme...
2003 - 19 TDs, 15 Fumbles, 6 Lost
2004 - 29 TDs, 12 Fumbles, 5 Lost
2005 - 24 TDs, 12 Fumbles, 6 Lost
2006 - 17 TDs, 6 Fumbles, 4 Lost
2007* - 8 TDs, 1 Fumbles, 0 Lost
2008* - 1 TD, 3 Fumbles, 2 Lost
* Only 3 games played in 2007 and so far in 2008
Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 23, 2008 9:00:00 PM
In addition, during Jakes two playoff runs in 2003 and 2005, he also had 3 fumbles (none lost) and 2 fumbles (1 lost), respectively."
Posted by: NSpicer | Sep 23, 2008 9:05:42 PM

Exactly. Now add the the INT's in there for a dismal turnover average! Jake's best year was last year, when he thought his job was on the line and actually learned something from someone else (excluding the '03 season of course, when his job was still not secure). So why didn't they get someone in this year when there were still questions about how his elbow would hold up in live action?? Want your fried chicken cajun or original?
And let's not forget this interesting spin...

"I wouldn't worry too much about Jake Delhomme. Remember that this year we actually have a running game. Last year Jake was throwing the ball a whole lot more than this year. Since he practiced more on this, it led to less fumbles.
Now they're back to the power running game. It should really be 1 TD 2 fumbles because of a offensive lineman that slammed his arm into the football for some odd reason. That, and we've faced 3 really good football teams. The next 3 games should be smooth sailing. His TD's will go up."
Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 23, 2008 11:51:26 PM

Rev, first let me say that I really do appreciate your optomistic attitude. Optomism alone does not solve problems though. Jake's fumbles are usually caused by Jake's inability to throw the ball in a timely manner, step into the pocket to avoid the rush coming from the edges and not seeing blitzers coming.

As far as the one (of three fumbles) highly publicized from last week, it's like the announcer said; "Jake is a veteran and should know where the DB's are." When it comes to his first one (the one you mentioned), they said, "It's the responsibility of the QB to get the snap cleanly and be able to drop back without incident." It's very hard to argue with either one of those analyses.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 24, 2008 4:40:49 PM

Hmmm...another Jake hater comes out of the woodwork after one loss. You were probably one of those guys on the David Carr bandwagon last year, although none of you will admit it. No Panther quarterback has ever been as good at being a leader and coming through in the clutch. Every quarterback has bad games. You would think struggling through the hideous performance of David Carr last year would make you realize how valuable Jake really is.

Posted by: tc | Sep 24, 2008 5:29:36 PM

Good call, KIR. Jake's INT rates are "dismal" indeed. Granted, at 3.1%, he's got a lower rate than all but 32 QBs in NFL HISTORY, but don't let that bother you.

Now, maybe the guy would do well if he actually had some PROTECTION, but, then again, it's more important to blow two drafts worth of our load to get a kid who can't pass block to save his life than to actually have any continuity on the line. You know, the kind that might let our OGs know which direction to run that isn't into the ball while it's in the quarterback's hand?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Sep 24, 2008 7:48:44 PM

Exactly how many sacks has Otah allowed? Im sure Procton has that stat rattling around in his vast stat vault of a brain.

Posted by: heelzrule | Sep 24, 2008 8:11:40 PM

Procton... I know you like the guy but I also know you can add 1 + 1. In other words; INT + FMB = too many turnovers coming from one player! Do the math my intelligent nonfriend, and stop playing cover up. Thanks.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 24, 2008 8:31:04 PM

"I agree with Carolian Wild. I have been reading this blog for some time and see the validity of his/her comment. You clearly have a problem with number 89. You are not going to change the mind of anyone who thinks highly of him. You are only making yourself look bad as a person who is unwilling to forgive. Forget, no, but you must forgive people who make mistakes. Please follow the lead of Mr. Lucas, the victim, and quit wasting your time bashing Smitty."
Posted by: David | Sep 12, 2008 7:58:05 PM

David... For the record, I have forgiven the guy for "the incident." It still doesn't change who he is and how I feel about him.

He came into the league and won my respect. He kicked an opponent in the head for biting him, and won even more of my respect. He sucker punched a teammate in the film room for making a comment, and I began to loathe him (but still gave him credit for his talent on the field while calling him all kinds of obscenities in the same sentence).

Time passed and I saw that he was maturing. He became a changed man (so I thought). So then "the event" happened and I got a sickened feeling. This was the guy I have been raving about: telling people how much he has changed?? What he did hurt and embarrassed more people than he may ever realize.

Anyway, he finally made a sincere apology in some obscure blog: and I took it and ran with it. I am a die-hard Panther fan after all. But I still know that, as talented as he may be, he still is clinging onto that chip on his shoulder like that is the thing that defines him (and if you ask someone keeping it real, it does). And that is not my fault for admitting or confessing it, but his for failing to swallow his pride and getting over it.

If you still don't get what I'm saying and where I'm coming from, then you just might never get it. I'm fine with that, but do us both a favor and keep your personal insults to yourself Mr. Hornblower; and whoever else for that matter. Much appreciated.

Now if I've offended anyone by my thoughts on Smith, or even greatly angered you, I would really like to know exactly why instead of reading a bunch of immature and pointless insults. Don't forget, despite the anonymity this site offers, you are all still representing your upbringing, so make your mothers proud with the words that come out of your mouths. I’m sure they would thank you for it if they could.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 24, 2008 8:51:20 PM

TC, I was big on David Carr, and still gave him credit for that amazing acrobatic first down in his only win as a Panther. I also credit him for firing up Jake and encouraging him to take more chances. But naturally, when Carr began to fall apart, I stopped rooting for him. Why wouldn't I, or anyone else for that matter? It's not like I'm infatuated with an individual Panther player and will get emotional if someone says anything slightly negative about them (like so many Peppers, Delhomme & Smith fans do). So I'm not sure what your point exactly was with that, but whatever.

And yeah, it could be worse; you are right. It could definately be better too though. Again, Jakes woes didn't start last week. If anything, his turnover ratio was fairly constant throughout his career. Remember the "Cardiac Cats?" I have always said it was Jake that made that team (but mostly because he kept turning the ball over).

Anyway, after watching two clutch performances to open up the season last year (and thinking that he has finally arrived), watching him this year is a bit disappointing to say the least. I understand that his elbow is restructured and his throws are stronger, but his accuracy were never really that great to begin with. If you doubt that, ask Moose, who has always defended Jake and said he at least gets the ball to his receivers, but seems to be singing a different tune lately. As a matter of fact, forget asking anyone and just watch the games! Like someone else said, Smith has to make athetically brilliant catches all of the time for a reason.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 24, 2008 11:38:28 PM

--- and it's not just because he is really short either.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 24, 2008 11:40:35 PM

Let's not make this another shouting match. The point is this, I like Jake. I just think he sucks overall as a QB. But I still think this team can get it done with him under center, just like they almost did (and really should have had they not gotten robbed the lumberjack king and his Irish mob henchmen). All he has to do is find that fire and start slinging the ball again (just like his first season and last year, when his job was on the line).

If not, then he will never be a great QB and this team will struggle to get wins. Honestly, at that point I would like to see McCown go in and pull a Jake. But that will be as much of a gamble as making Jake the only legitimate QB on your roster this year. It could go either way.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Sep 24, 2008 11:50:54 PM