« Panthers add OT to practice squad | Main | Delhomme anticipates confident Chiefs D »

October 01, 2008

Delhomme's NFC player of the week

-- Quarterback Jake Delhomme has been named the NFC's player of the week. Delhomme completed 20 of 29 passes for 294 yards with two touchdowns for a 124.8 passer rating in the Panthers' 24-9 victory last week against Atlanta.

--Five players didn't practice Wednesday because of injuries: Offensive tackle Jordan Gross (concussion), cornerback Ken Lucas (ankle), quarterback Matt Moore (leg), offensive tackle Jeff Otah (ankle) and safety Quinton Teal. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on October 1, 2008 at 02:14 PM | Permalink

Comments

IS KEN LUCAS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT, WILL HE PLAY SUNDAY? I AM A BIGGGGG KEN LUCAS FAN, JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF HE WILL BE ALRIGHT.

Posted by: VERNETA | Oct 1, 2008 2:38:41 PM

I'm more concerned about Otah's injury. Typically, if a player doesn't practice on Wednesday, he won't play the following Sunday.

Posted by: Raptor | Oct 1, 2008 3:04:45 PM

Posted by: Raptor | Oct 1, 2008 3:05:01 PM

Posted by: Raptor | Oct 1, 2008 3:05:07 PM

Good for Delhomme! We have an excellent QB! Here here! Drinks all around!

Posted by: Revshawn | Oct 1, 2008 3:05:11 PM

Jeff Otah will play, don't believe this injury report at all. I was at the game, and I watched Jeff Otah walk off the field with hardly any help. This is just John Fox playing tricks with other coaches again. There is no way Jordan Gross will be on the field though. As I said in a earlier post, I expect Wharton to move to left tackle and Harbringer to take his spot at guard.

Ken Lucas will probably play, if not we have Marshall waiting in the wings, and he's a starting calaber CB as well. No worries there.

Posted by: Revshawn | Oct 1, 2008 3:15:21 PM

What's wrong with Teal???

No worries, Halliburton will do a great job at RG just like he did on Sunday.

Posted by: Authority | Oct 1, 2008 3:33:19 PM

What's wrong with Teal???

No worries, Halliburton will do a great job at RG just like he did on Sunday.

Posted by: Authority | Oct 1, 2008 3:35:30 PM

Revshawn,

Who is going to play LG?

Posted by: what | Oct 1, 2008 3:39:05 PM

Harbringer?, Halliburton? do they mean Geoff Hangartner?

Posted by: brendan | Oct 1, 2008 3:44:23 PM

Here's a link http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArXGZ995ZrpUsWNovu6vPhJ_2bYF?slug=txweek&prov=st&type=lgns but don't be to disappointed, at first glance looks like it was only about that ex-Green Bay guy. Sorry didn't know link wouldn't work!

Posted by: JT | Oct 1, 2008 3:45:05 PM

Sorry above link does work. WARNING: Drinking and Typing can be hazardous to your Keystokes.

Posted by: JT | Oct 1, 2008 3:51:33 PM

Who here thinks Marshall should be starting in place of Lucas? Dont get me wrong, I think we have some solid CBs out there, I just think Marshall has more ball skills than both Lucas and Gambel. BTW Chris Gambel is hittin hard these days, keep it up

Posted by: robbyc | Oct 1, 2008 4:11:21 PM

I remember we had Marshall starting a few games either last year or the year before that and he seemed to get beat in coverage more than he should. He works out great where he is though.

Posted by: joltx | Oct 1, 2008 4:19:00 PM

Good for Jake. Unfortunately we still have plenty of Jake-haters around Charlotte. Its like they think Tom Bradys and Peyton Mannings are just out there waiting to be signed or something. Do any of the Jake-haters remember how bad our offense was last year without him? Props to #17

Posted by: James | Oct 1, 2008 4:40:36 PM

Good for Jake Haters! We have an excellent smarta@@! Here here! Drinks all around!

Posted by: STFU | Oct 1, 2008 5:54:43 PM

congrats jake! congrats jake! congrats jake!
see i repeated myself three times, just in the same post.

Posted by: dennis vass | Oct 1, 2008 6:02:23 PM

JAKE beat out FAVRE'S SIX TD performance this week?? Wow!!! HMMMM.... I guess they expect performances like that from Brett. Jake, on the other hand, was a bit of a shocker last week (Just like the beginning of last season was)!

Huh! Choke on that STFU. LOL. You keep talking your smack, no-named loser, and I'll keep responding.

That being said, I'm exctatic about Jake's performance this week (just like anyone else). I can only hope that it continues. Much of that will ride on how well the running game is when defenses adjust and play the pass more.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Oct 1, 2008 6:09:58 PM

dennis vass,

Jake won the honor for the NFC, Favre is playing in the AFC now, and won it there.

Ironically, this speaks to the fact that Jake is very much a Favre-type QB. He hasn't had the success (largley because he hasn't had the team around him that Favre has usually had), but their playing style is very similar. Favre quite often throws one of those "what the @#! was he thinking?" passes too.

Posted by: John | Oct 1, 2008 6:29:21 PM

yeah well last time i looked favre was in the AFC. thats why delhomme is NFC player.

Posted by: injuredpatella | Oct 1, 2008 6:30:36 PM

Dennis, sorry, that comment was meant for "Keeping it Real". I wish they'd make up their minds on whether the put the poster's name above, or below the posts in the Observer.

Posted by: John | Oct 1, 2008 6:31:15 PM

Good job "Keeping it Real"...another quality post. I mean...quantity. Yet, again, you prove my point! You have no idea what you are talking about. You make this way too easy. It's really not quite fair, I know.

I'm glad Jake is getting the recognition he deserves. Keep plugging away, Jake! Before you know it, it will be the playoffs, and the rest of the league will take heed!

Posted by: Carolina Wild | Oct 1, 2008 6:54:04 PM

Good game Jakester!!!

Posted by: Jimbo | Oct 1, 2008 7:43:35 PM

I am not too concerned about our injuries, we play Kansas City this week. KC is a 4-12 team meaning they win 1 game out of every 4. Denver was a division rivalry and that happens often in the NFL. Carolina will shut down LJohnson like they did Turner. Smith will probably drop a buck fifty and 2 tds in a 27-9 win. (it will be similar too the Atlanta game)

Posted by: bb | Oct 1, 2008 9:26:13 PM

Yes...if a player doesn't practice on Wednesday, FOUR days before the game, there's NO chance he'll play. Good call, Raptor.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Oct 1, 2008 11:57:57 PM