« Kasay signs extension | Main | Beason: NFC Defensive Player Of Month »

October 29, 2008

Terms of Kasay's deal (best guess)

Neither Panthers kicker John Kasay, who represents himself and doesn't have an agent, nor general manager Marty Hurney would divulge details of Kasay's new four-year contract extension.

But the average annual payout for the NFL's top five highest paid kickers is around $2.496 million, so it would be safe to assume that Kasay's pay over the next four years will be somewhere close to $10 million, give or take a million or so.

The fifth highest-paid kicker is Atlanta's  Jason Elam, who signed a four-year, $9 million deal ($2.25 million per year) with the Atlanta Falcons in the offseason.

The top-paid kicker is St. Louis' Josh Brown ($2.84 million per year).

Kasay's new deal runs through 2012.

His salary this season under his old contract was $1.5 million.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on October 29, 2008 at 04:26 PM | Permalink

Comments

I was pulling for them to cut Kasay when he had injury issues and other good kickers were on the roster in his stead. But, I was obviously wrong then and am glad to see they are keeping him around (hindsight is 20/20). As of right now, this seems to be a great move by Marty Hurney and the Richardson boys (did I just say that??)!!

Anyway, what are they going to do about kickoffs? Will they keep a third guy on the roster, train Baker to kickoff or train Loyd to punt?? It will be interesting to see what happens.

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Oct 29, 2008 4:46:23 PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!! Sypris was wrong!!! Shocker.....

Posted by: John | Oct 29, 2008 4:58:24 PM

Real, I don't see why they have to change anything from what they're doing now. Why do they have to cut one guy? Why don't they just keep all three and let them do their thing? The englishman has a huge leg but isn't very accurate with it, and John Kasey is one of the most accurate kickers of all time. Chris Baker is also accurate as well, and more times than not he's able to put the ball within 10 yards of the endzone.

Why not keep all three? It's worked so far, and if it ain't broke why fix it?

Posted by: Revshawn | Oct 29, 2008 5:07:19 PM

Who's this SYPRIS guy? I looked back at a lot of old posts and we have the same brain dead thoughts and comments. I wonder if he goes to my school? Could it be my mother's pool boy who knows me well? I would sit and watch him as he skimmed the pool and talked about nuclear fusion. I like SYPRIS, we think alike. Please come back Mr. SYPRIS, you are my hero.

Posted by: Keeping it Real | Oct 29, 2008 5:42:29 PM

No Keeping it Real I am your mom's pool-boy. I watch you too with your glistening wet body and sorry I thought we were talking about nutored poodles.

Posted by: tarpanthercats | Oct 29, 2008 7:37:49 PM

Revshawn, you are as bad as FOX Sportscasters, its JASON Baker. The FOX guys like to call him John which is atlest closer than Chris????

Posted by: heelzrule | Oct 29, 2008 11:56:16 PM

Why are sociapathic homosexuals aloud to run free? Do us a favor and punch yourself in the face a few times, will ya. Then do your mother a favor and go ahead and off yourself. Why disgrace her any further.

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Oct 30, 2008 7:22:25 AM

Grow a thicker skin, KIR. Your responses to these "attacks" on your opinions border on blatant prejudice and discrimination. Even in a sarcastic spirit, suggesting people punch themselves, off themselves, etc. isn't worth the time it takes you to post such a response.

In essence, if you keep taking that tack, I imagine you'll soon be banned by Persinger. You've got to learn to let some stuff go. Not everyone's going to agree with you. And not everyone's going to be nice about how they go about disagreeing with you. And if they get out of line, let the moderators of the forum handle it. You don't have to defend yourself with that type of response.

Just my two-cents,
--Neil

P.S. I also thought your original point was valid. When Kasay had that serious injury a few years back, a lot of people thought he might be done and the Panthers should seek to replace him. But, he's obviously as successful as ever now. And keeping him was a classy move on the part of the Panthers' organization, even if it does continue the need for a kickoff specialist.

Posted by: NSpicer | Oct 30, 2008 9:42:05 AM

Yeah back then Kasey competed against Shane Graham who is now one of the leagues best. Should the Panthers have kept Graham??? He's a lot younger and they could have kept him longer than Kasey.

Posted by: Remeber?? | Oct 30, 2008 11:09:06 AM

No, not really, Graham didn't exactly light it up when he was here, at the time there was no reason to believe he should take Kasay's job.

Posted by: matt | Oct 30, 2008 11:49:24 AM

Practice what you preach SYPRIS (aka KIR).....enough said.

Posted by: The Truth | Oct 30, 2008 7:09:31 PM

I am a big tool bag. Where is that SYPRIS girl? I miss her.....

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Oct 31, 2008 8:54:37 AM

I think this was a great move. if you disagree you can weigh in your opinion on this move by the Panthers with this poll:

Posted by: Cat Scratch Jaxon | Oct 31, 2008 11:28:43 AM