« Smith eager to help out | Main | Jake's feeling ripped off »

November 21, 2008

Every Panther participates in Friday practice

The Panthers again had all their players participate in practice Friday. This is the first week this season -- stretching back to training camp -- that everybody's been healthy. Also, nobody in the Panthers media relations department or even coach John Fox can remember the team not having any injuries at this late date in the season.

That said, offensive tackle Jeremy Bridges (heart), linebacker Thomas Davis (ankle), center Ryan Kalil (ankle) and defensive tackle Darwin Walker (neck) are all probable for Sunday's game at Atlanta.

Biggest game-time decisions Sunday will likely be whether Kalil will start instead of Geoff Hangartner and who the team's third receiver will be -- either D.J. Hackett or Dwayne Jarrett.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on November 21, 2008 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

Dwayne Jarrett should start over D.J. Hackett.

Posted by: Lloyd | Nov 21, 2008 12:29:11 PM

Dwayne Jarrett has so much more potential than Hackett. I hope he is activated.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 21, 2008 12:57:31 PM

Fox said players wont lose their job because of injury. So, Hackett will only lose his job if/when Jarrett outplays him. So, up to this point, what has Jarret done that shows he is outplaying Hackett?

Posted by: matt | Nov 21, 2008 1:05:13 PM

the biggest game time dicision should be whether or not to bench "pass the loot" Lucas. We've got turner the burner to put the brakes on this weekend and everybody knows he aint gonna talkle anybody. Whats a chicken s--t player like that doing on a team full of probowlers?

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 21, 2008 1:07:55 PM

Jeff/Lloyd - i agree

more importantly, and i know there is speculation, but does anyone else think something is secretly wrong with Delhomme? i dont know if its the elbow or shoulder or what but this isn't the delhomme we saw in weeks 1-8. even if he is healthy it is time to draft a top tier QB so in 2-3 years we will have a young and ready replacement

Posted by: john | Nov 21, 2008 1:28:04 PM

When Hackett and Jarrett played at the same time, who caught the most passes?

Posted by: James | Nov 21, 2008 1:30:24 PM

What are you talking about Stork? Thats is a ridiculous comment and completely bogus...

I agree no player should lose his starting job due to injury, but you also need to be recovered and contributing...Hackett is recovered but he hasn't contributed in the past two games (and yes, I know Jake has sucked). Jarrett was starting to prove that he can make big plays and I thought was getting a lot more comfortable and understanding with Jake. Its a toss up but I would reactivate Jarrett and let him play. I think he will pose a bigger threat to Atlanta, but either way we should pound the ball down their throats and make them stop our ground game.

Posted by: TrueFan | Nov 21, 2008 1:43:33 PM

I'm with you john. I can't tell if he's hurting or just gettin happy feet for fear of getting hurt. as a matter of fact, there's a couple of players playing , lets say, a little too cautous right now. Moose, Lucas, even smitty seems to have lost some of that usual fire. Truthfully I think all of them get hurt less when they play like there pissed off at the world. I mean I'm glad smith has gotten a grip on his temper, but where has all the attitude and passion gone?

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 21, 2008 1:47:54 PM

easy truefan, I think you're responding to the comment made by matt and jeff

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 21, 2008 1:50:58 PM

Tell Ryne Robinson that everyone is healthy...

Posted by: tarheelmax | Nov 21, 2008 2:06:36 PM

And Dan Connor

Posted by: tarheelmax | Nov 21, 2008 2:08:18 PM

He obviously means everybody on the 53 man roster tarmax.

Also, who is pass the loot lucas? Ken lucas is a great corner and is having a good year.

Delhomme will be fine.

Tough call on DJ or DJ, but we all know if all else is equal, Fox tends to favor veterans.

Posted by: chris | Nov 21, 2008 2:28:12 PM

No, Chris Gamble is the one who is having the good year. Lucas can cover somewhat alright, but trust me, he's gonna stay outta the play if he can. His side is always good for a ten yard sweep. On the other hand, the other side is closed for business. Gamble will come up and pop the s--t out of you.

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 21, 2008 2:34:34 PM

I re-watched the Detroit game the other night just to see how Delhomme really played, without having to worry about the outcome. I was also curious if his arm looked weaker or anything to explain his poor play over the past two games. What I determined was that he didn't play nearly as poorly as I thought he did while watching the game live. His passes to the sideline were zippy, and he had one throw to Smith down the middle that was a bullet. There were definitely some bad throws too, but they mostly seemed to be bad decisions or caused by pressure than from any injury that I could tell.

The real key will be this week's game at Atlanta since he and the rest of the team should be fired-up about the divisional game. I expect Delhomme will have much better numbers this week (or maybe that should be "I hope").

Posted by: Jon | Nov 21, 2008 2:59:59 PM

Stop bickering and focus on the game. This is a big one for us. As far as I am concerned, I want to prove our worthiness by winning against ATL and GB, therefore setting us up for the big one against TB. Running the ball will be key for both sides in both games.

Go Panthers!

FIREFOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: FIREFOX | Nov 21, 2008 3:29:08 PM

Lucas is having a better year than Gamble. We have seen more of Gamble this year because his guy gets thrown to more, which isn't a good thing for a cb. They are both playing well but Lucas has covered his man better.

Posted by: Jerad | Nov 21, 2008 3:33:58 PM

All true fans, you need to go to www.probowlpanthers.com and vote for our players to make it in the pro bowl!

Posted by: Pro Bowl Panthers | Nov 21, 2008 3:49:03 PM

Both corners are playing well against the pass, Gamble appears to be better on run support. Bigger hitter.

Posted by: cmo | Nov 21, 2008 7:45:48 PM

the panthers better realize this is a must win.they might not even make the playoffs if they lose sunday because they have a killer schedule the rest of the way.tampa has a much easier schedule and have aleady beaten carolina.even if they win sunday they will only have the upper hand on a wildcard.hugh, hugh game.

Posted by: ray | Nov 21, 2008 8:20:55 PM

thanks for the back up cmo. And thats exactly what I said at the top of the page. Thats also exactly what our problem is gonna be sunday with lucas out there. When turner starts hitting us for ten yards a pop on that left side, everyone in the country is gonna see where the biggest weakness on our team is. Trust me, the other 31 teams aren't stupid. they know how to watch the films too! I hope everyone out there keeps a special eye on lucas when he stays tied up with the W.R. just long enough for the play to pass by so he doesn't have to tackle. Then our pro-bowl linebackers have to swarm to the right side to help his candy a-- out. Trust me again when I say, that will eventually open up our secondary! all because of one paycheck player.

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 21, 2008 8:32:19 PM