« Limited injury report | Main | Panthers practicing padless »

November 26, 2008

Faster practice = faster game starts?

Defensive tackle Damione Lewis said the Panthers practiced at a faster pace today in hopes of getting off to a quicker start Sunday at Green Bay.

The Panthers have had sluggish beginnings in each of the past four games. In the past two games against Detroit and Atlanta, they didn't pick up a first down in the first quarter. And while the offense couldn't gain yards, the defense couldn't stop the opposition. The Lions and Falcons combined to have possession of the ball almost five times more than the Panthers -- 24 minutes, 31 seconds compared to 5:29 for the Panthers.

"We changed up some things at practice and starting practicing at a faster tempo," said Lewis. "We're trying to get it corrected. I think guys came out with the correct mindset today of working. Guys were flying around, making plays and being where they're supposed to be."

Lewis said the defense had to think quicker in practice because the offense was setting up faster.

"I think it's more game-realistic," he said. "It seems last week (in a 45-28 loss at Atlanta) we were getting beat out of the huddle and a couple of times we didn't have our hands down on the d-line when they were snapping the ball.

"Practicing the way we're practicing this week, as soon as we're getting out of the huddle (the offense was) right there, so we're snapping around and getting in our stance ... so I think that'll be a good look for us."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on November 26, 2008 at 02:24 PM | Permalink

Comments

Come on, Jason. We are all dying to hear how this is Delhomme's fault. Maybe if Matt Moore or whichever McClown we have on the roster were starting, the offense would play faster. Probably not, though. After all, John Fox is still the coach. I'm sure it's also somehow his fault. Or are you boycotting this web site now, too?

Posted by: jeff | Nov 26, 2008 3:09:53 PM

Jake needs to improve his speed, did you see him scramble Sunday?

Jake and Fox run the same speed.

Moore is much faster. FASTER = FASTER

Posted by: JASON | Nov 26, 2008 3:15:07 PM

The no huddle and quick snap counts used by Atlanta last week definately impacted our defense. I remember seeing on numerous occasions our D-lineman still walking to the line when the ball was snapped. I also saw Richard Marshal running across the field a few times trying to figure out where he needed to be lined up in coverage. It was a good tatic by the Atlanta offense. Hopefully we will be better prepared for this the rest of the season.

Posted by: Mason | Nov 26, 2008 3:39:12 PM

Who ever the last one out of the dressing room on Sunday is, I WILL BREAK YOUR NOSE.

Posted by: StevenSmith | Nov 26, 2008 3:48:36 PM

Notice how the coaching staff is adjusting their gameplan to their strengths; which is Jake running the offense better while everyone is constantly sprinting around. I guess that helps slow the game down for him mentally. Anyway, are any of you jokers going to give Fox & Davidson credit for doing this?

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Nov 26, 2008 3:51:27 PM

Bravo! It only took three sluggish starts to realize somethiing needed to be changed, Fox is a genius. Just keep handing the ball off too, I cringe everytime Delhomme throws deep. Panthers offensive playbook; 1st down, run, 2nd down, long ball to Smith, 3rd down, draw play. Mix them around for each down.

Posted by: marvel | Nov 26, 2008 4:08:36 PM

while their at it maybe they can put 3 or 4 recievers on the field and open up the offense. I think it's time we see what Jarret can do and Hackett was very effective at Seattle. These guy's are to talented to be inactive for games that's crazy, how many receivers did Atlanta play? I think all of us know what the Panthers are going to do on 1st and 10, i'm sure the other defense does.

Posted by: Chris G. | Nov 26, 2008 4:24:41 PM

fox showed greatness as a coach. but sometimes he just be in a wack zone. like it take certain things to wake him up. the team is the exact same way

good move though

Posted by: jake the snake | Nov 26, 2008 4:50:16 PM

Speeding up practice? Where did Fox get this idea from, a Pop Warner coaching guide. How about lighting a fire under your team's ass instead?

Posted by: Phil | Nov 26, 2008 5:02:55 PM

Actually, screaming at grown men (lighting a fire) is more of a Pop Warner idea. You think most millionaire adult men are going to respond to brow-beating?

Stepping up the practice pace is a great solution-- I've seen it done in basketball with good results. Some teams need different things to shake them up and getting back to "game speed" sounds like a good approach to me.

Posted by: John | Nov 26, 2008 5:19:12 PM

Does this mean Fox is giving the players speed?

I think Fox is on qualudes.

Posted by: jason | Nov 26, 2008 5:35:44 PM

I promise to speed up. I will break at least 2 of my team mates or coaches noses before Sunday.

Posted by: steven smith | Nov 26, 2008 5:44:25 PM

With ideas like playing fast I predict John Fox will be Coach of the Year.

Jake, please call in sick Sunday.

Posted by: kay | Nov 26, 2008 6:00:21 PM

What I'm not understanding about the Panthers team(players and coaches) is why they aren't self-motivated. Complacency musta set in with the big dollar salaries. And doing enough just to get by is pathetic in the sense that you think that individually each person would want respect for their accomplishments. And that only happens through a collective team effort of getting the job done because each has done their part to the best of their ability.

The one thing that I miss seeing in the Panthers is the "Killer" instinct. I've only seen that the 2004 playoff run to the superbowl. Other than that it's back to 'normal' with no great sense of URGENCY with a 'Passionate' desire to overwhem the competition. Jake at times tries to get the ball rolling with the emotions - but the rest of the team seems oblivious to this pumping up and settles back into lethargy.

The Panthers had a number of leaders on offense and defense the 2003 season. But this 2008 team seems to have noone( lacks true leaders)consistenly trying to fire the squads up on offense or defense each and every game. And by the time someone tries to light a fire under their derrieres it's pretty much too late already.

WHY???

Posted by: dandy1949 | Nov 26, 2008 6:09:38 PM

nice call Marvel! I agree completely

Posted by: bv | Nov 26, 2008 6:36:58 PM

Hey davidson, we're talking to ya in here tonight. Please, listen to marvel and bv! Open that damn offense up a little bit. Can't you just imagine what it would be like to release stew and drop a little screen pass in there to him in the flats? Now who in the heck is gonna tackle him for a loss one on one? Not many. Talk about a defensive nightmare.

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 26, 2008 6:53:36 PM

Kay, don't be too hard on ole jake. after all he did throw for 300 yards with no interceptions, ran one td in himself and threw for another. I think its time we start giving moose and smitty a little hell for dropping all those passes. Sorry, I meant critical passes.

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 26, 2008 7:00:51 PM

I just don'tk now guys I am at my ENDS! with FOX...If we miss the post season this year regardless of the record he will have made the post season 2 times!! in 7 YEARS! (only one of those years was with majority of his own players!) sorry...I can't tolerate that. Poll any fan base in the nfl and tell them their next coach will make the playoffs 2 times in the next 7 years! and they will all agree it's time for him to go!

Posted by: cheven | Nov 26, 2008 9:07:15 PM

Jeff and Jason, you're idiots. As are those who think anyone other than Jake should be playing quarterback.

It's uneducated tools like you two who need instantaneous gratification in everything you do. Microwaves that cook a 5 course meal for you in 35 seconds aren't fast enough to you.

The Panthers problems for the previous three weeks is called complacency. This past Sunday against the Falcons had everything to do with the Falcons having a better game plan coupled with that complacency was a recipe for disaster. The offense scored 28 points you idiots. There are times when you are just out coached and out played that does not justify canning the coach or benching the quarterback. Didn't either of you watch the last Super Bowl?

Watch the Panthers this week and I bet you will see a team that punches the Packers in the mouth.

Posted by: markPing | Nov 26, 2008 10:20:30 PM

In this entire string there were only three intelligient comments. Markping, dandy and John. The rest of just don't understand the game.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 27, 2008 8:46:40 AM

MESSAGE TO JAKE! Don't forget to hide the football after the faked handoff. The extra second or two could be the secret to greatness. And oh yeah, PUMP FAKE. Why do you never use that tactic to get the D's hands down? Just a thought. Be well and have a great game.

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 27, 2008 11:01:27 AM

Stork302 the reason Jake doesn't do those things is because he is a average to below average quarterback.

If his security blanket (nose breaker smith) is not open he doesn't know what to do. I think he would be a better qb without Smith. It forces him to look to other players for help. We have the most talent we have ever had. We need to use it to exploit the opponent.

This offense is no different than it has ever been even with a new offensive coord. So who is calling the plays?

Posted by: jason | Nov 27, 2008 11:41:47 AM

HEY markPing! It is possible (though improbable) that I am not as educated as you, but I am intelligent enough to understand the concept of SARCASM!!!! Look it up, dick.

Posted by: jeff | Nov 27, 2008 11:46:43 AM

Jason, ya know you might be onto something. I thought jake looked a lot smoother and more professional in the first three games during smitty's suspension. As for the play calling, I'm like you. I'm starting to think mike mcCoy might be doing the larger percentage of play calling instead of davidson. That would also explain why jake is getting away from just basic QB fundamentals. Eigher way, good post jason.

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 27, 2008 11:54:38 AM

For the benefit of markPing:

SARCASM:–noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Please don't call me an idiot or uneducated. Thank you.

Love,