« First flurries | Main | Postgame Q&A »

November 30, 2008

Panthers score late to beat Packers

Wide reciever Steve Smith made one of the most dramatic catches of his career to help rescue the Carolina Panthers from defeat and propel them to a 35-31 win over Green Bay at Lambeau Field.

With Carolina trailing by 3 points and less than two minutes remaining, Jake Delhomme hurled a long pass toward Smith, who was double-covered. Smith jumped high to snatch the ball for a 54-yard completion to the Packers' 1-yard line.

With a mixture of snow and rain falling and winds gusting up to 27 mph, DeAngelo Williams scored from the 1 on the next play to give Carolina the lead and, ultimately, the victory.

The TD was Williams' fourth of the game, setting a new team single-game record. The previous high of three TDs had been accomplished nine times. All of Williams' touchdowns were on 1-yard runs.

It was a crucial win for the Panthers, who stayed even with Tampa Bay in the NFC South Division race heading into their Dec. 8 Monday Night Football showdown at Bank of America Stadium.

The Buccaneers used a late field goal to hold off New Orleans 23-20.

Carolina and Tampa Bay are tied for first place in the division with 9-3 record, but the Buccaneers hold a tiebreak edge by virtue of its win over the Panthers earlier this season in Tampa.

Sunday's game at Lambeau Field was one of the best of the NFL season.

The Panthers led 21-10 at halftime, but Green Bay scored 18 unanswered points to take a 28-21 lead.

Carolina tied the score and then Green Bay went ahead 31-28 on a 19-yard field goal by Mason Crosby with 1:57 remaining.

The Panthers twice stopped Green Bay from running plays from the 1 to force the field goal.

After Williams' touchdown put the Panthers ahead, Green Bay got the ball back with 90 seconds remaining, but linebacker Jon Beason intecepted Aaron Rodgers.

The loss dropped Green Bay to 5-7 and severely hurt their playoff hopes.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on November 30, 2008 at 04:16 PM | Permalink

Comments

So is Jerry Richardson going to pay for my triple bypass surgery?

Posted by: Steven | Nov 30, 2008 4:25:25 PM

Bunch of goats on here calling the L before it's over. Great win.

Posted by: rayray | Nov 30, 2008 4:29:42 PM

HELL YEAH!!! I'm with you Steven!

HUGE Win for the Panthers...HAD TO HAVE IT!!!

Now let's get ready for the Buttaneers on MNF and take care of business!

Posted by: RK | Nov 30, 2008 4:36:48 PM

That personal foul called on Peppers was absolutely ridiculous and almost cost us big.

After the penalty, the Defense, especially the D-line showed up BIG on the goal-line to force a field goal. That was the key to the win in my opinion.

Posted by: Will Parker | Nov 30, 2008 4:53:40 PM

Good God.

Great game, terrible fans. I was just reading the halftime posts, and all anyone could do was bi*ch, bi*ch, bi*ch. Where are all the crybabies now? 9-3 heading into a crucial home game against Tampa, and oh yeah, we are 6-0 at home.

On a side note, I read a lot of posts questioning the team's heart. They seemed to have a ton of heart earlier in the season. Maybe they are tired of playing their hearts out for a bunch of fans who turn their backs on them as soon as they have an off day. We are 9-3 people! And you all make it seem like the sky is falling.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 30, 2008 4:56:54 PM

The Cats absolutely HAD to have this game! For once, they started the game fast and finished strong! They then did a gut-check & showed a ton of resiliency and heart in coming back from behind to secure A HUGE WIN! Now watch them use this game as a stepping-stone to victory in next week's revenge match against Tampa for the division title!!

Posted by: Raptor | Nov 30, 2008 4:57:04 PM

RK it's not the "buttaneers"... it's the Tampon Bay Bunchaqueers. Get it right...

Posted by: Cameron | Nov 30, 2008 4:59:59 PM

Yea, RayRay, U can never give up on these CATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: harrydogg | Nov 30, 2008 5:04:23 PM

I think that all those "halftime haters" need to get a clue ! It ain't over till it's over !

Posted by: harrydogg | Nov 30, 2008 5:11:44 PM

Now that's funny, Cameron!!!!!!!!! Although I am still a bit partial to acknowledging them as the Buttaneers!

Posted by: RK | Nov 30, 2008 5:13:54 PM

Thankful for the win. Trgovac just keeps getting bailed out by the offense. 3rd and 15 and you only rush 3 people, the game was tied and your already playing prevent. The Panther defense was only slightly better than the Packers defense. Mike Trgovac is the DeShaun Foster of defensive coordinaters. Thank God for Steve Smith.

Posted by: jeff | Nov 30, 2008 5:15:39 PM

The offense has still got to hold onto the ball longer. They are leaving the defense out there way, way too long. The 35 points is nice but they all came pretty quickly. The big plays are nice on offense, but it would be nice if the Panthers offense didn't have to rely on them.

The MVP of this game was Mark Jones. DWilliams also gets a gameball for being a beast on the goaline. Its nice to know he can punch it in.

Posted by: Al | Nov 30, 2008 5:15:49 PM

Awesome Win today...the game ball definitely goes to Mark Jones. Let's go home now and show the nation that we are the top dogs in the NFC South. I'm tired of hearing about the F**kaneers, they are mediocre at best. Week after week they squeak out wins barely. It's time for the Panthers to make a statement infront of a national audience. Everyone says the Panthers get no respect and media coverage, well now this is thier chance...GO Panthers!

Posted by: JM | Nov 30, 2008 5:28:48 PM

Mark Jones was released by the Buccaneers after he was injured. Next Monday night he can show them how much better he's feeling. Dude's been on a tear lately.

Posted by: dogear | Nov 30, 2008 6:23:41 PM

Did everybody in here watch the same game that I did? In all of the post I've read all night, nobody and I mean nobody has said a word about "raise hell" trevelle wharton!!!! DAMN, WHAT A GAME!

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 30, 2008 6:37:47 PM

I agree with you Will Parker. Why is it that we have such fair weather fans. I'll tell you this, we REALLY need this win on Monday night, so that stadium needs to be loud!!!! It also bothers me that when we lose, we always seem to single out one person. JAKE. Now I will have to say that there have been some crappy throws this year, but there have also been plenty of other mistakes. Let me just say that you win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM. Simple as that. I HOPE ALL YOU FANS WILL SHOW UP ON MONDAY NIGHT AND GET LOUD SO WE CAN BEAT THE (%#^@ OUT of the BUCS!!

Posted by: #1 Panther Fan | Dec 1, 2008 10:28:31 AM

I agree with you Steve. Why is it that we have such fair weather fans. I'll tell you this, we REALLY need this win on Monday night, so that stadium needs to be loud!!!! It also bothers me that when we lose, we always seem to single out one person. JAKE. Now I will have to say that there have been some crappy throws this year, but there have also been plenty of other mistakes. Let me just say that you win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM. Simple as that. I HOPE ALL YOU FANS WILL SHOW UP ON MONDAY NIGHT AND GET LOUD SO WE CAN BEAT THE (%#^@ OUT of the BUCS!!

Posted by: #1 Panther Fan | Dec 1, 2008 10:30:05 AM