« Links to get you ready for the Packers | Main | Limited injury report »

November 26, 2008

Zero turnovers? What?

Here's a pretty remarkable stat left over from the Panthers' 45-28 against the Falcons: Carolina had zero turnovers.

That obviously tells us that Carolina's defense and special teams must have had supremely bad days -- which they did -- if Atlanta wasn't able to score points by capitalizing on Panthers mistakes.

So the Panthers continue to have a plus-4 take-away/give-away ratio, one of the best in the NFL (Tennessee leads with plus-11; San Francisco brings up the rear with minus-13.

The Panthers have nine interceptions and recovered 10 fumbles; their opponents have intercepted nine Panthers passes and recovered six fumbles. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on November 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM | Permalink

Comments

It tells me that we have given up on asking Jake to pass the ball.......This has eliminated several fumbles a game.

Let's send Fox and Fumblelomme packing soon please.

How dare Fox to tell callers they don't know what they are talking about.

I am thru spending money at the stadium until Fox is GONE.

Posted by: jason | Nov 26, 2008 10:42:06 AM

Hey Jason please don't come back to our stadium (PSL owner) again then!

I bet you get mad when people stand up and cheer too don't you?

Posted by: David | Nov 26, 2008 11:07:15 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how the Delhomme haters can take any stat, and any performance and twist it to justify more criticism of Jake.

This loss was clearly on the Defense and Special Teams. The offense put 28 points on the board. Jake had ZERO to do with the 45 points Atlanta scored, and last I looked, wasn't on the field when Atlanta returned the kick for a TD!

Comments like your's Jason, make it understandable when Fox questions the fans knowledge of the game.

Posted by: John | Nov 26, 2008 11:10:49 AM

They need a new QB, Jake you had your years. I was talking to a former NFL player/Pro Bowler and said he agrees with me and Jake your done.

Posted by: John | Nov 26, 2008 11:13:32 AM

I'm tired of reading about last week's game. Yes, the Panthers embarrassed themselves and their fans. We get it. Move on!

Posted by: ray | Nov 26, 2008 11:29:16 AM

John (the second one to post)... That is one of the most GENERIC comments I have ever heard since coming to this site. I don't know if you were joking or not, but, that is such a simple minded and straight up generic post.

Posted by: ANILORAC OG | Nov 26, 2008 11:38:24 AM

now now people. we are 8-3. this point last year we were like 5-7

Posted by: Tyler | Nov 26, 2008 11:41:21 AM

Fire whoever does the stats. Gamble forced a fumble and Godfrey recovered it.

Posted by: Brainiac | Nov 26, 2008 12:50:23 PM

im tired of hear after every loss, "we'll just have to look at tape and get better" everyone says that and they dont fix it. How abot fixing it this time. pass protection need to get way better.

Posted by: tj | Nov 26, 2008 12:51:06 PM

I agree that this loss is on the defense and special teams. Jake had a 95 passer rating even with Smitty dropping a pass in the end zone. No excuse for the D play in the first and fourth quarter.
Too bad we are not playing Tampa this weekend. Beason will have the defense fired up on Sunday. Watch out Green Bay.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 26, 2008 12:55:27 PM

Jason- Stay the fuck away please. I don't think anybody is going to miss your money.

Posted by: rico | Nov 26, 2008 1:00:06 PM

Jake Delhomme is a great QB, and we're glad to have him. Jason you're a moron if you think that he's a bad QB. He can go and win the Super Bowl if he wants to and you'll still critisize him for not doing it 5 years sooner in 04.

That aside, Jake is a good QB but we need to start preparing for his retirement. I hope we sign Matt Cassel in the offseason.

Posted by: Revshawn | Nov 26, 2008 1:55:57 PM

Hey Rev which is he a great qb or a good qb you said both.

How about a qb almost done.

Remember our starting running back and receiver last year? Deshaunn Foster and Keary Colbert. The left John Fox and now they don't even play with their new teams.

I think Jake would be the same.

Posted by: jason | Nov 26, 2008 2:03:24 PM

Defense really need to learn how to stop someone other than turnovers

Posted by: jake the snake | Nov 26, 2008 2:25:28 PM

Uh Jason, Foster scored a touchdown on Sunday for the 49ers.

Posted by: RJG | Nov 26, 2008 3:18:17 PM

It just boggles the mind! All the Jake haters just come out of the woodwork every chance they can to bash him. Right, wrong, or indifferent. It's the same all the time.

All QB's have bad games. What about Peyton Manning earlier in the year? Does Bret Favre ever throw interceptions? Does anyone remember the five interception game Tom Brady had against lowly Miami last year?

And all the cries for Matt Cassell! He won't be coming here, for numerous reasons. He will get BIG money, money Carolina does not have to pay. He also will go to a team that puts the same type of offense on the field that New England has (can you say: A team that puts the New England OC in as head coach... I knew you could).

Besides, it would not matter who the QB here is, the QB position under this offense scheme does not put a premium on a great passer, but more as a good field general and a good manager of the game. Those are Delhomme's strong qualities. We saw that painfully last year when he went out.

Even if Carolina had Tom Brady as the QB, Fox would still run the same style offense. Run first. He is always going to put the premium on defense.

That is what Richardson wants. That is what Richardson will get. He does not want a "pass happy" offense (AKA, New Orleans).

If that is what you want, then you need to find another team to root for because as long as Jerry Richardson is alive and owns this team, that is what you are going to see from the Panthers.

I'm a true to heart Panther fan, but it's a real trip to read these comments. Almost as much fun as reading the comments about the KC Chiefs in the Kansas City Star. I go there and read them when I feel down about the Panthers. It makes me appreciate what we have all the more.

Be thankful that the Panthers are not that bad, year in and year out. Also be thankful that we DON'T have Herm Edwards as the head coach!

Posted by: dridgeway | Nov 26, 2008 5:18:01 PM

If Herm had the panthers job he would be at least 8-3

Posted by: KAY | Nov 26, 2008 5:39:39 PM

thats a double edged sword dridgeway. i cant go back and count my blessings about how bad my boyhood team is.because my old team is the new york giants.so im stuck wishing the panthers had a great coach and an up and coming q.b and a mental toughness second to none.god help me.i cant be a frontrunner like all the cowboy fans.i have to tape the game every week because i might put my foot thru the t.v and pray that richardson gets a real coach like a parcells,coughlin or bill cowher.

Posted by: ray | Nov 26, 2008 7:27:49 PM

MESSAGE TO JAKE! don't forget to hide the football after the faked handoff. The extra second or two could be the secret to greatness. And oh yeah, PUMP FAKE? Why do you never use that tactic to get the D's hands down? Just a thought. Be well and have a great game

Posted by: stork302 | Nov 27, 2008 11:12:51 AM

At home, 4th quarter, 9 minutes left and up by 3 - no way Fox goes for it on 4th down from the 1. That TD was the nail in the coffin - the difference between a close game and a done deal. That touchdown is the difference between Atlanta and Charlotte - and always will be. It is why Fox loses in Atlanta almost every year to inferior teams. And as for faster practices, how about just a little 'professionalism'? This team has some serious tiebreaker problems....

Posted by: RFandy | Nov 27, 2008 11:29:16 AM