« Panthers notes: Peppers honored | Main | More Gruden on "Buzz-Saw" Beason »

December 04, 2008

About those black helmets ...

Rumors have been swirling this week that the Panthers were going to unveil new black helmets for the Bucs' game Monday night.

It sounded a bit far-fetched, especially since NFL teams have to give any uniform changes approved way ahead of time.

But it was intriguing enough that we thought it worthy to check on it.

The Panthers insist they are not going to wear black helmets or black pants on Monday night, but will be in their classic silver helmet, black jersey and silver pants.

Fans, however, are encouraged to wear lots of black, so as to "black out" the Bucs.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on December 4, 2008 at 02:11 PM | Permalink

Comments

that would be sick seeing the black helmets
I think they shoudl wear the blue jerseys more often

Posted by: lowell | Dec 4, 2008 2:18:27 PM

I liked how that black helmet looked. Wearing all black with blue lining would be a cool look for this team; especially considering their mascot is a panther. I hope to see they do unveil that type of uniform sometime in the future.

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Dec 4, 2008 2:22:53 PM

Sorry lowell, but teams can only wear their alternate uniforms only twice a year...

Posted by: WRAPPEDinBACON | Dec 4, 2008 2:29:16 PM

Keeping it Real...where did you see a pic of the black helmet? Packer was talking about it on his show the other day, says hes seen it too

Posted by: Dave | Dec 4, 2008 2:44:05 PM

I've been pleading with the Panthers here (and on other sites for a few years now) to come out on a Monday or Sunday night game wearing all black... black jerseys on black pants with the blue steak up the side. I know its not in Jerry Richardson's character to do something like this, but I know the team would love it and the fans would love it too. Anything to add a little extra energy to a night game on national TV.

What better time or game to do this than Monday night against the hated Tampa Bay Bucs, when both teams are 9-3 fighting for the division championship. But what do I know, I'm just one of crazy fans that refuses to sit down at home games.

Posted by: McSwollenvich | Dec 4, 2008 3:00:19 PM

All Black and a little Panther blue would make for sweet unis. Beason was on Pack's show a couple weeks back talking about a surprise for the fans at the following game. Some had said it might be a Uni change but i didnt see anything? Does anyone know what the surprise was? (the first play of the following game was an end around play to Smith, that got shut down for a loss i believe...was that it?) If you know what it was please enlighten me!

Posted by: DNYCE | Dec 4, 2008 3:03:01 PM

I would love to see black pants and jerseys with the Panther Blue trim. I think it would look sharp. Someone needs to push for the addition.

Posted by: JR | Dec 4, 2008 3:14:52 PM

DNYCE...he talked about a suprise for the fans at the Chiefs game. I was there but didnt see any kind of suprise

Posted by: Dave | Dec 4, 2008 3:21:47 PM

one black design:

Not remotely official in any way -- just some guy with some time on his hands.

Posted by: MTB | Dec 4, 2008 3:26:00 PM

I even think it is cool when the Ravens go all black with the purple...the Panther blue would look even sweeter! Pep would look like a monster in that color scheme!

Posted by: DNYCE | Dec 4, 2008 3:27:16 PM

MTB, that is HOT! Imagine that with the all black with a little blue! Rhys and Jake might even look kinda fierce in that look, haha...

Posted by: DNYCE | Dec 4, 2008 3:31:01 PM

Black is no good. When GA wore black, they lost. Atlanta has black - why does Charlotte continually try to copy Atlanta?

Posted by: WarEagle | Dec 4, 2008 3:31:59 PM

Do not let it happen. everyone wear white. BLACKOUTS are where good teams go to die.

Posted by: jason | Dec 4, 2008 3:34:04 PM

I love how no matter what anybody says everybody thinks they are too cool to wear black or that it didn't work for other teams...well by god a lot of stuff doesn't work for other teams and we are the PANTHERS playing for the division lead....BLACKOUT the BUCS don't be that guy who wears the white and red polo or yellow north face..COME ON CHARLOTTE

Posted by: BLACKOUT | Dec 4, 2008 3:37:59 PM

The Panthers should NEVER change their uniforms. They are perfect.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 4, 2008 3:39:06 PM

I hope this all black uni talk gathers some steam! I know they cant just bust it out monday or this season at all, but it would be sweet some time in the future! Maybe 15 yr anni?

Posted by: DNYCE | Dec 4, 2008 4:17:11 PM

Appalachian State has all black uniforms and it looks great! ASU uses the theme "Black Saturday" for big games. Fans really get into it!

Posted by: Go Mountaineers | Dec 4, 2008 4:57:18 PM

WHO CARES! Good gosh why don't we worry about playing football.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 4, 2008 5:12:21 PM

Seriously, a blackout? That wasn't even cool back in 1993.... just one more thing to be a distraction to our focus going into this big game.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 4, 2008 5:15:25 PM

To the people trying to be cool by saying it is stupid, seriously stfu. It is a good way to get fans and players pumped up, and like it or not, in the back of Jeff Garcias little gay head, he is gonna be like "OOOO I love the colorssss" then Pep smashes his gay ass into the dirt at BOFA on Monday!

Posted by: Tate | Dec 4, 2008 5:29:05 PM

Quit acting like a first year francise bloggers. The ONLY THING that matters is we win the damn game. This is not the Whiner line, it's the WIN NOW PANTHERS blog... JUST WIN MONDAY NIGHT and YELL and SCREAM only when tampa is on OFFENSE. What color they wear is the east of the Panthers worries.....they haven't given it any thought at all.

Posted by: STOP IT | Dec 4, 2008 6:22:04 PM

Every time I read this pathetic blog all I hear is the familiar sound of a nursery in a hospital....... You people suck. You bit@h and cry about EVERYTHING. All you want to do is argue and tell someone else what they should talk about. My only hope that it's 16-20 year olds who habitually post on here. That would at least explain a lot. You have got to be the worst bloggers ever!

Posted by: Steve O | Dec 4, 2008 7:30:01 PM

Jake has a hard enough time hitting receivers. He doesn't need a black out.

The black uniforms might keep Smith from being able to find a team mate to break their nose.

I sure hope Ed Hock U Lee is not calling the game. If so FORGET ABOUT IT.

Posted by: keepNReal | Dec 4, 2008 7:59:34 PM

Black Pants Black Jersey would be NASTY!!

GO CATS!!!

Posted by: Scott | Dec 4, 2008 8:41:10 PM

the ref is walt anderson

Posted by: doug | Dec 4, 2008 8:55:26 PM