« Kemo, Lewis miss practice | Main | Christmas practice update: Kemo gets work »

December 24, 2008

Kemoeatu: 'I should be 100 percent'

Defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu said Wednesday afternoon his injured ankle -- specifically his Achilles tendon -- is feeling better and he expects to play Sunday against the Saints.

"I'm pretty close," Kemoeatu said. "As far as right now, I think I can go Sunday. I was probably 60 or 70 percent last week, but I'm in the 90s now and should be 100 percent by Sunday."

Kemoeatu, who hadn't missed a game in his two-plus seasons with the Panthers, twisted his ankle against the Denver Broncos two weeks ago, causing damage to the ligaments around his Achilles tendon.

He was asked how a conversation with coach John Fox and the team's trainers might go Saturday, when they'll ask him how he's feeling and whether he can play.

"It's up to the coaches and trainer," said Kemoeatu, who didn't practice Wednesday. "But their decision is going to be based on how the ankle feels. The way I feel now is good. I'm looking to Sunday and I want to play. How it feels now is good."

In the meantime, defensive tackle Damione Lewis, who hurt his left shoulder against the Giants, isn't so sure about his status for the Saints.

"I guess it'll be fine," Lewis said. "I'm getting a lot of treament. It's yet to be determined if I'll play."

Lewis, who also didn't practice Wednesday, said he got caught between two Giants offensive linemen, stretching the ligaments in his left shoulder.

"I'm just working it out as much as I can," Lewis said. "I have no idea if I'll go this weekend." -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on December 24, 2008 at 02:25 PM | Permalink

Comments

I wonder if the bend-but don't break mentality is not coming home to roost with these injuries. Both DT's injured, coincidence? maybe. But when you are being double teamed to death it has got to take its toll.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 24, 2008 2:55:54 PM

Thats good news. I hope Hayden and Walker will split time if Lewis cant play. I wanna see what we got in Hayden. Note to Fox: I know we aint playin in a 3 Receiver-Set that much, but hey, give Jarrett some more opportunities, well ya ? He has to build up some confidence, come playoff-time ;)

Posted by: Krueger | Dec 24, 2008 3:15:14 PM

hayden played plenty against the giants..typical rookie..did you not see him get pushed 5 yards in the end zone on one of jacobs tds? not good

Posted by: mike | Dec 24, 2008 3:50:56 PM

I wonder if it would be better to just rest him this week, seeing as how the Aints are less concerned with winning than with getting Drew Deeze his record. I doubt they will run the ball more than fifteen times.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 24, 2008 4:16:15 PM

Jeff, I completely agree with your second post about resting Kemo this game. However, your "coming to roost...bend or break mentality" has me questioning exactly which team your a fan of. It sounds all too much like you are delighting excessively at things you deem faults that the Panthers have. I think the bend don't break mentality in the second half of the season has paid off for them.

Again, in case you weren't watching, they were poised to win the conference (and would have were it not the missed FG and Godfrey batting down the INT in OT). They still can with the division and the #2 seed and the division. Even if the Saints beat them, they still make the playoffs and had that clenched early on despite playing in the toughest division in the league.

If you ask me, the only thing that should come to roost is the reality that you don't sound like much of a fan. I mean with fans like you, who needs the jerks that come on here during the week before the Panthers play their team and leave remarks just to get us real fans angry. Yes, put yourself in that group. "Come to roost..." What a #%&*@#!

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Dec 24, 2008 4:50:03 PM

We should have Kemo and Hayden to play, both are huge guys, hayden is bigger than Lewis but Lewis should be able to play sunday with limited time.

Posted by: paulmack | Dec 24, 2008 5:42:30 PM

Seriously? Again with this Godfrey batting down the int stuff? Are you that stupid? You have no evidence that anyone would have caught that ball, even if you say it would hit someone right in the hands, chest, helmet, does not mean they would have caught a darn thing.

I would rather the ball be batted down, and surely not caught by the other team that having the professional (which, as we are all aware, you are not) trying to guess whether the ball may or may not be intercepted or caught.

He made a play on the ball, and I am sure that is what his contract to play defensive back stipulates him to do.

Heck, if you are going to go with that argument that Godfrey's play changed the game, you should go ahead and blame Beason for the ball he missed.

I guess your second guessing of Godfrey indicates that YOU are the one that is not the fan. After all, you jumped all over Jeff for criticizing the coaches bend but don't break mentality, but you do the same thing by questioning Godfrey's judgment in the heat of a play.

And I am just Keeping It Real when I say that this entire blog would be better if you would take your current identity, and your alter ego SYRPIS and just stop writing.

Posted by: Not Keeping It Real | Dec 24, 2008 7:33:03 PM

I would first like to say that being analytical does in no way reflect whether or not you are a fan. I've been a fan since the team started. I am not a fan of losing and having to listent to Packer, Steeler and Cowboy fans talk about how the Panthers are talented but wilt when the pressure is on. What I want more than anything is TO WIN A FRIGGIN SUPER BOWL. I don't care about having a winning season or going to the playoffs. Our offense is good enough, I am pretty sure that the talent is there on the defense but I'm not sure the coaching is there. Bend but don't break is a cliche that reflects passiveness not aggressiveness and reaction instead of proaction. Bend but don't break would be better named PREVENT.......FROM WINNING.
SUPER BOWL VICTORY, not settling for nothing else.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 24, 2008 8:07:54 PM

Godfrey did bat down what has to be called a pretty good shot at an INT. It was headed straight to gamble, he may have dropped it but it was going to fall into his lap. Doesn't make it a bad play by Godfrey, just unlucky.

Kemo back is huge, will need both Kemo and Lewis at 100% for the playoffs. The team was missing its top 3 DTs for the end of the game sunday, not surprising the Giants OL plowed them off the ball - we were trying to figure out why Charles Johnson was playing DT on not obvoius passing downs.

Posted by: john | Dec 24, 2008 10:44:04 PM

I think it was a good play, Keeping it Real thinks it was a bad play. That makes him not a real Panthers fan, by the criteria he used to judge Jeff.

I wouldn't have counted on Gamble that night; that ball was the first pass he was even close to... oops, I must not be a fan either.

Posted by: Not Keeping It Real | Dec 24, 2008 11:06:37 PM

Great Game, great effort, could have gone the Panthers way. I went to the game, and it felt like a playoff game. Panthers have another tough game in New Orleans. If they play as hard there, as they did in NJ, they will win and clinch the 2nd seed for the playoff's..Win and your In (2nd seed)...plain and simple..Go Panthers..!!

Posted by: Catsnmbr1fan | Dec 25, 2008 1:43:03 AM

Everybody lets just forget about the Giants and move towards the Saints. They are the team we need to take out all our frustration on. Trust me the Saints would love to come in the game and spoil our spirits.

Just get the win over the Saints that is all this team needs to do. I believe this team came this far and improved this much only for okay spot in the playoffs.

Go Carolina Panthers and have yourselves a wonderful Christmas.

Posted by: Anthony | Dec 25, 2008 10:07:01 AM

anthony, its hard to look forward to the saints when everyone is scared to death that fox and davidson are gonna take a knee with almost a full minute on the clock before halftime and stay there for the rest of the damn game. Conservative gets people hurt. I'm a boxer and I can tell you from experiense that fighting from your heels or backing up results in one thing, getting hurt or knocked the f--k out. Just like what happened to us monday night. Always play to win, and NEVER kiss your sister. Ever notice how when teams try to sit on a lead the results always end in lose or injury. I'm talking to ya FOX. Can you hear me? I don't know what your sister looks like, but I bet it wouldn't be pretty.

Posted by: stork302 | Dec 25, 2008 10:43:09 AM

He's a slow kid....just ignore his rants and posts....you are only dumber for reading them.

Posted by: not keeping it real too | Dec 25, 2008 3:20:14 PM

Would be great to have Kemo back, we really need him!

Stork: If you are a boxer you are either very old or have taken to many punches to the head. The kind of boxing you are refering to disapeared in the late 70s...

Posted by: Thorrez | Dec 25, 2008 3:59:43 PM

oh my god, thorrez, please tell me you're not another die hard roy jones fan. talking bout the late 70's. I was thinking more in the line of chad dawson. And don't look for him to take a knee before halftime either. Unlike fox, davidson or roy jones. It seems like all three of the afor mentioned have been picking themselves up off their ass lately. Hmmmm! wonder if it had anything to do with the conservative gameplan? I say put another nail in the coffin and the d--n lid will stay shut!

Posted by: stork302 | Dec 26, 2008 10:47:48 AM