« Happy holidays: December is Panthers' best month | Main | About those black helmets ... »

December 04, 2008

Panthers notes: Peppers honored

A few early afternoon Panthers notes:

-- Defensive end Julius Peppers was named NFC defensive player of the month for November. He had seven sacks during the month, which tied his career high for a month.

-- Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden had high praise for Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith and linebacker Jon Beason during a conference call with reporters who cover Carolina.

"That Steve Smith is a nightmare, man," said Gruden. "He's like Freddy Krueger to me."

Gruden also used that analogy when talking about Smith with the Bucs players on Thursday, according to cornerback Ronde Barber.

Gruden said Beason is an "every down buzz-saw" at linebacker, praising Beason's hustle and ball-pursuing skills.

-- Injury update: Linebacker/special teamer Adam Seward (ankle) and defensive end Hilee Taylor (calf) did not participate in practice Thursday. Cornerback Ken Lucas (head) participated fully.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on December 4, 2008 at 01:14 PM | Permalink

Comments

You wrote " Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden had high praise for Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith and linebacker Jon Gruden during a conference call with reporters who cover Carolina.'
Proofread, anyone?
It's great to hear interesting comments from a coach.

Posted by: Ben | Dec 4, 2008 1:26:41 PM

proof read the article please. i can imagine other readers will be just as confused by the mismatched names in the article.

Posted by: heyoooo | Dec 4, 2008 1:29:06 PM

BLACKOUT the BUCS....spread the word everybody wear black and let's show the country how rowdy we can get on Monday night

Posted by: Jonathon | Dec 4, 2008 1:37:54 PM

If you can't figure out or are confused by this, then you are an idiot! Every Panther fan knows that Gruden is a coach and not a LB for the Panthers. Obviously its supposed to be Beason...get a life.

Thanks for the updates Charles! Keep 'em coming!

Posted by: TrueFan | Dec 4, 2008 1:41:47 PM

Should read (I think):

Posted by: Keith | Dec 4, 2008 1:42:14 PM

Wear Your Panthers Pride

Panthers Jersey Color: Black

Posted by: BLACKOUT | Dec 4, 2008 1:50:19 PM

Here's my two cents on the "blackout" thing:

As a student at Purdue University in Indiana, and football season ticket holder for seven going on eight years, the blackout idea is really really stupid. We do it every year, namely for homecoming, and its pointless. So what if the crowd looks black? I'd rather see the crowd be sprinkled with white panther jerseys, black ones, and blue ones. That shows a greater variation in the crowd and lets the TV audience know that all sorts of fans are in the stands. I also think it's more distracting having a bunch of different colors in the backgrounds, endzones, etc.

Posted by: Al | Dec 4, 2008 1:55:34 PM

Isn't Gruden a little small for a LB?

Posted by: Bill | Dec 4, 2008 1:55:38 PM

BLACKOUT, BABY!

Posted by: Jake | Dec 4, 2008 1:58:02 PM

There must have been static during the phone call. Interesting how "Chuckie" aka john gruden would bring in a Freddie K. analogy. Coming soon to a theater near you - Chuckie vs Freddie K - Starring Steve Smith and john gruden.

Posted by: JoePro | Dec 4, 2008 2:03:34 PM

Hey! I caught a mistake! I have an urgent need to tell someone! Gruden's not an LB -- he's on special teams

Posted by: doh | Dec 4, 2008 2:19:19 PM

I can't stand how Pop-eye plays Jedi mind tricks with individual Panthers. He is doing his best to take that aggressive edge from those two players, in hopes they will come into the game feeling accomplished. It seemed to do the trick last time, I hope Beason will be able to see through that. I'm not too worried about Smith. He generally plays with a chip on his shoulder. Regardless, everyone on the Panther's roster needs to play with ferocious tanacity this week, from beginning to end, to make it a contest.

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Dec 4, 2008 2:20:28 PM

The Bucs have been the big dog in the NFC South for a very long time, however I think the torch is about to be passed to the Panthers on Monday night. Go and compare the players position to position and you'll see a Buc team that has aged, and a Panther team that has become much bigger and a lot younger. The future for the Panthers looks promising and I believe the future will begin Monday night and last a very long time.

Posted by: charlesbright | Dec 4, 2008 2:27:15 PM

Truefan, why don't you take your asinine comments about readers who notice imperfections in the article (not minor either) and consider how stupid you are for making a comment about what other people notice. For you to be a true fan you should be willing to address mistakes in hopes of them being corrected for other readers instead of bashing others for their awareness of mistakes.

Posted by: heyooooo | Dec 4, 2008 3:11:58 PM

I remember before the last game Gruden gave high praise to a lot of players only to kick our tail up and down the field.
I hope they don't buy into that praise to much because you are only as good as you play in the upcoming game.

Posted by: JD | Dec 4, 2008 3:55:39 PM

Instead of worrying about mistakes, I'm focused on the game at hand... not a misprint heyooooo. (I hope I spelled that right; I would hate for you to start writing a comment about me typing something incorrectly). You must be one of those fans that sips wine and talks about stocks and stuff...

Go Panthers!!!

Posted by: TrueFan | Dec 4, 2008 3:59:34 PM

I agree the blackout is overrated. I went to a game at South Carolina in 2001 against Florida and I had never heard of such a thing. The crowd and the fans went crazy over the idea of the "Blackout". It was kind of cool then, but the idea has been so overused that it's kind of annoying now. Not like it makes the fans cheer harder or the players play harder. BTW Florida won 54-17.

Posted by: Fan | Dec 4, 2008 4:16:35 PM

To heck with that "blackout" nonsense. I'm wearing the warmest thing I've got, which would be my white ski jacket. Supposed to be a chilly one on Monday night. Should be a barn burner of a game, though. Hope we get to see "Good Jake" instead of "Bad Jake".

Posted by: archiguy | Dec 4, 2008 5:16:56 PM

Procton stated that Pepper's can't play. How does that crow taste now?

Posted by: david | Dec 4, 2008 5:27:15 PM

That blackout crap didn't work out too well for Georgia when the Crimson Tide rolled into town.

Also, those who don't want to read this stuff until after it's been proofread should just wait for the print version of the paper to come out the next day.

Posted by: dogear | Dec 4, 2008 5:39:44 PM

Blackout on Monday night...I know I'll be blackout here at home watching, along with all the other true fans, I bet there will even be a few blackout fans in the stands

Posted by: trav | Dec 4, 2008 5:53:59 PM

Black out or not, it doesn't matter what color jersey you wear, it's all about how the team plays. You can wear puke green and if you have a better team, then you probably will win. I feel a comeback coming!
GO PANTHERS!!!!

Posted by: Cameron | Dec 4, 2008 7:00:04 PM

Give him a break. This is a blog.

Posted by: T | Dec 4, 2008 7:03:28 PM

Give him a break. This is a blog.

Posted by: T | Dec 4, 2008 7:05:19 PM

I believe that the Panthers must win against Tampa on Monday night. We are facing our toughest game this season and would love to see us whip them good. Panthers have the talent to do it, if they show up with mind and body on all sides of the ball. Gruden is a good coach, but Fox is a great coach. Talent is great on both teams, so I am hoping to see that "Panther Magic" explode over the nation.

Posted by: Ripper | Dec 4, 2008 7:07:35 PM