« Williams NFC's offensive player of the week | Main | If not "Smash & Dash," then what? »

December 10, 2008

Panthers owner placed on transplant list

1210richardson Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, shown in a file photo, remains hospitalized.

Carolina Panthers owner and founder Jerry Richardson has been placed on the United Network for Organ Sharing heart transplant waiting list at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, the team announced.

There is no timetable for the organ donor process.

Richardson, 72, is in the hospital after recently undergoing a variety of medical tests resulting from not feeling well throughout the fall. He had coronary bypass surgery in October of 2002 and received a pacemaker/defibrillator last month.

While the pacemaker/defibrillator is working effectively, Richardson was readmitted to Carolinas Medical Center last week for further testing.

Approximately 2,200 heart transplant surgeries are performed in the United States each year.

Posted by Observer Sports on December 10, 2008 at 05:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

Prayers go to you Big Cat!
Come back soon!

Posted by: Win It For Jerry! | Dec 10, 2008 6:02:57 PM

From our family, our prayers and thoughts are with you, get well soon!!

Posted by: JoeyW | Dec 10, 2008 6:11:26 PM

we are praying for you , Jerry
maureen and scott

Posted by: maureen | Dec 10, 2008 6:22:33 PM

OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.GET WELL SOON.

Posted by: Dwayne G. | Dec 10, 2008 6:22:50 PM

My thoughts and prayers go to Mr. Richardson. I'm sure all will work out great for him. I will never forget, when I worked in Spartanburg back in the late 80, I stood in line behind him at Hardees as he joked around with the staff. Then I was impressed he paid for his own hamburger. I wish I'd told him he could pay for mine too. God Bless

Posted by: Larry Davis | Dec 10, 2008 6:23:10 PM

Mr Richardson,
thanks for all the joy you've brought me on Sundays for 13 yrs. Godspeed big guy.

Posted by: Tim Collie | Dec 10, 2008 6:30:06 PM

our thoughts and prayers are w/ you big cat

Posted by: black cat fever | Dec 10, 2008 6:35:24 PM

God Bless you Mr. Richardson. You get better and Our boys will win it all for YOU!!

Posted by: Tommy C | Dec 10, 2008 6:37:37 PM

Thoughts and prayers go out to one of the Carolinas' very best. Get well soon Big Cat.

Posted by: MJ | Dec 10, 2008 6:44:58 PM

My prayers are with you BigCat.

Posted by: PantherHead | Dec 10, 2008 6:59:23 PM

Chief, Get well soon. Our prayers are with you.

Posted by: Bill Caldwell | Dec 10, 2008 7:30:08 PM

My prayers are for you Mr. Richardson. I pray you have a great recovery and are back in time to see the gift youve given us, give back to you.

Posted by: Steve Schley | Dec 10, 2008 7:34:51 PM

I will be praying for your speedy recovery. God bless you for giving us the Panthers.

Posted by: Anjeldka | Dec 10, 2008 7:35:35 PM

Best wishes to the Big Cat for a speedy and successful recovery.

Posted by: WHM | Dec 10, 2008 7:39:12 PM

You're in our prayers, Big Cat. As an NFL fan that was raised in a family that was incredibly passionate about Baltimore pro sports and Colts football in particular, this hits me really hard.

I agree with Tim - thanks for bringing the same passion and community that the Colts were known for to Charlotte, and thanks for making Sundays something incredible.

Posted by: Scott | Dec 10, 2008 7:41:19 PM

God speed we wish you the best.

Posted by: shoz | Dec 10, 2008 7:42:37 PM

A heartfelt thank you, Mr. Richardson, for all that you've done for this city--all of Carolina, really. You're a pillar of this community, and it is, and always will be, indebted to you.

We send our most sincere and warm well-wishes to you and your family. May God speed a full and timely recovery.

Posted by: hillbilly | Dec 10, 2008 8:10:55 PM

My Prayers go to you & your Family Mr. Richardson...Just like the Panthers ~ keep on Pounding....and God Bless.

Posted by: Jack Bower | Dec 10, 2008 8:24:24 PM

May God find you the right donor and keep you strong for years to come.

Posted by: Frank | Dec 10, 2008 8:33:25 PM

Get well soon Big Cat!

Posted by: juan | Dec 10, 2008 8:34:08 PM

Hi mr.Richardson am praying for u speed recovery from heart transplant,my prayers are with u and God share heal u through this stage.God is going find u a healthy heart and u will be back on your feet in no time.I am prayer warrior poet author from Charlotte,long time 32 surviver of muscular dystrophy have it all my life growing up and know what it like have heart problems.May u be lifted up in prayer,God is with u and praying in your life mr.Richardson.U stay positive be strong and be strong in Lord my brother of Christ.I had great idea for nfl but it can wait after hearing that u were in hospital wanted pray for u.God bless mr.richardson full recovery and bring him a miracle with new heart amen.

Posted by: warriorofgodchildpoet32 | Dec 10, 2008 8:37:00 PM

Posted by: warriorofgodchildpoet32 | Dec 10, 2008 8:38:59 PM

We'll be seeing you back in that golf cart real soon. Just get better.

Posted by: Nasty 704 | Dec 10, 2008 8:40:23 PM

Our prayers are with you, Mr. Richardson.
Get Well Quickly, BigCat!

Posted by: Melissa Mohlere | Dec 10, 2008 8:42:26 PM

Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. Get well soon

pompomgirl05