« Playoff tickets on sale Thursday | Main | Jason Baker: Marino's new best friend? »

December 29, 2008

SPECIAL REPORT: RBs make history

Carolina's DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart just completed one of the most spectacular regular seasons by a backfield duo in NFL history.

Williams and Stewart not only led all running back tandems in rushing this season by combining for 2,351 yards, but their total also ranks as the eighth best combined single-season rushing performance ever by a pair of teammates, according to league research requested by the Observer.

The only backfield duos with more yards all included one of these four Hall of Fame greats -- O.J. Simpson, Jim Brown, Walter Payton or Eric Dickerson.

That puts Williams and Stewart in rarefied air. Their 2008 total is the best in the NFL in 24 years.

The all-time record for backfield duos is 2,640 yards, set in 1975 by Simpson (1,817) and Buffalo teammate Jim Braxton (823).

Simpson made the top seven list twice for the 1973 season, when he gained 2,003 yards and teamed with Braxton (494) and Larry Watkins (414).

The combined total by Williams and Stewart is the best any backfield combination has compiled since Dickerson set a single-season individual record of 2,105 yards in 1984 and filled two of the top seven duo spots with teammates Dwayne Crutchfield (337) and Barry Redden (247).

Williams ran for 1,515 yards this season, a Panthers' team record, and Stewart set a new team standard for rookies with 836 yards.

More on this in tomorrow's Observer and online.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on December 29, 2008 at 09:24 PM | Permalink

Comments

Kudos to "double trouble" but the real props should go to the O-line who despite injuries and some discontinuity throughout the season paved the way for this accomplishment. Lets keep it goin and pave the way to the SUPERBOWL!

Posted by: matt s | Dec 29, 2008 9:48:31 PM

And they both look fresh and ready for the playoffs too. Bring on the playoffs!!!!

Posted by: TP | Dec 29, 2008 9:51:26 PM

I THINK DOUBLE TROUBLE IS ONE OF THE BEST DUOS IS FOOTBALL. I THINK WE CAN GO FAR IN THE PLAYOFFS. LET'S KEEP POUNDING. BRING ONE HOME TO CHARLOTTE! SPECIAL YEAR..

Posted by: jeremy | Dec 29, 2008 10:11:22 PM

over 5 yards a carry combined, outstanding performance.

Posted by: john | Dec 29, 2008 10:42:05 PM

Among those tandems, I wouldn't at all be surprised to know that Stewart had the highest total of any #2 back. Incredible that we had two different backs set team AND rookie records for yardage and TDs, all in one year!

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 29, 2008 10:52:30 PM

These 2 have done everything we've dreamed they could be plus more! This team finally has "IT" (If that clueless defense would actually defend somebody). Who would have thought that it would be the OFFENSE who would be carrying the team this late in the season! Double Trouble opens the field for Smith, and Smith opens the field for Double Trouble. I can't wait for the post season!!!!! This is going to be great.

Posted by: musicianjd | Dec 30, 2008 12:00:50 AM

Where are those that were criticizing this year's draft now? Otah for giving up too much for him (turns out to be a late first rounder and a mid second rounder for a mid first rounder). Not only is that good value for a trade, but in turn they got a lineman who contributed "now" and can be good for years to come. Nick Hayden even contributed as a starter at key moment. Godfrey has been great. Stewart... well just read the article. Even Dan Conner might have made the starting lineup if it not been for his injury in preseason. Barnidge was praised by many and has contributed as a backup (and I'm still waiting for that one surprise big play this year). OL Bern.... also did well enough to beat out two veterans for the roster spot. All of this from one draft! Did I leave anybody out?

Fox should be resigned to an even more lucrative extension (if he'll even accept it, considered how he has been treated around here the past couple of years).

Posted by: Keeping It Real | Dec 30, 2008 12:13:29 AM

How about 30 touchdowns between them - any significance to that?

Posted by: KCPanther | Dec 30, 2008 12:23:22 AM

keeping it real,

great post, but don't forget about taylor (tarheel, by the way) he's had a pretty good year for a late rounder.If he adds a few pounds he could turn out to be a good D. end

Posted by: jason n wilmington | Dec 30, 2008 12:58:04 AM

I CANT BELIEVE NO ONE HAS EVEN SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BRAD HOOVER..CAROLINA NATIVE PAVING THE WAY FOR THE DOUBLE TROUBLE BOYS TO GAIN THOSE YARDS. BRAD YOU ARE OUR SILENT HERO AND IF YOU READING THIS. KEEP PAVING THE WAY FOR THEM BOYS AND BRING CHARLOTTE ONE HOME TO STUFF DOWN THE NECKS OF ALL THE NY PEOPLE WHO TALK NOTHING BUT TRASH ABOUT OUR CITY AND OUR TEAM

Posted by: REALLYHATINGTHEGIANTS | Dec 30, 2008 4:38:15 AM

Jonathan Stewart had a great year for a rookie but I think he is will get a lot better as he gains experience. Most important is he does not yet have the vision and patience that comes with NFL experience. He needs to slow down and let the play develop rather than hitting the first crease he sees which often closed before he got there.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 30, 2008 7:35:10 AM

Procton, you really hate giving any praise to D williams, dont you?

Posted by: Billy | Dec 30, 2008 8:11:44 AM

I agree Jim, once Jonathan gets the speed and vision that Deangelo has, they will be more feared and even more of a "Double Trouble" to the teams in the league. Deangelo has definately gotten better and with him there to help Jonathan, lets just say I can't wait to see what happens the next couple of years!! I just hope we can keep the O-line together to provide the blocking.

Posted by: Harrison | Dec 30, 2008 8:39:59 AM

As i've said all along Billy. Williams is an average change of pace back at best. Nothing more....he was never as good as hop scotch deshaun foster and if deshaun was still here he probably would have run for 2,000 yards. Again, Gross is not a pro-bowl LT as I've said all along. Peppers is a bum. This team would be the same with Stanley McGlover playing as Peppers. Otah sucks - i've googled Kipers picks and there are a lot of underclassmen linemen worthy of next years number one. Oh wait, that wouldn't help us this year. Also, Steve Smith should be MVP with all the triple coverages Jake throws up to him. But Jake is my lover and hero so I'm going to give him the credit. Bottom line is that I hate this team with a passion, I'm a know it all tool bag who spends my days trolling blogs. Come on guys, I get all my information from google and I'm in the process of getting out of my burger king job and moving up to applebees. Really looking foward to it and needless to say my daddy is awefully proud. But for now, you all are so lucky you can read my jibberish blogs on this website and several others.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 30, 2008 8:44:37 AM

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 30, 2008 8:45:21 AM

I'm seriously anxiously waiting for all of the Jake/Fox/Davidson/Otah/Gamble/Peppers/Hurney/DWilliams haters to emerge....yet all I hear is crickets

Posted by: matt | Dec 30, 2008 9:01:26 AM

The 1985 browns had 2 RBs over 1000 yds
kevin mack 1104 7 TDs
Ernest Byner 1002 yds 8 TDs

Posted by: Abrigg17 | Dec 30, 2008 9:10:29 AM

What does this mean? "according to league research requested by the Observer." Why do you have to request the league find this information? Isn't it openly available on the internet?

Posted by: matt | Dec 30, 2008 10:41:52 AM

Abrigg17, They are talking about combined yardage not individual. Derrick Ward and Brandon Jacobs both rushed for 1000+ yards this season too but we had the highest total per tandem.

Posted by: JV | Dec 30, 2008 11:11:21 AM

Matt, I think they just felt it would be easier to request it all from the league rather than hunt it all down on the internet. It's both smart and lazy at the same time.

Posted by: JV | Dec 30, 2008 11:13:16 AM

If by change of pace you mean that DeAngelo will just score right then instead of putting together an offensive drive, then you're right.

If you mean DeAngelo is a third down back, then you're completely wrong. No third down back scores at the goal like that.

Also, according to league research requested by me, the 98 Broncos had Terrell Davis put up 2K yards. Nobody else broke 200 yards on that team. And when I say I requested research, I typed in my web browser what I wanted and it gave it to me.

Posted by: Doak the Triton | Dec 30, 2008 12:55:40 PM

How about this guys d/will and j/stew--double trouble/// the o-line and b/hoover--the paving crew

the DOUBLE TROUBLE PAVING CREW

Posted by: lookin4dlight | Dec 30, 2008 6:16:49 PM

KIR, Barnidge has done nothing, Godfrey's gotten burned CONSTANTLY, and Connor's injury didn't happen in the preseason. It happened during the third game, when he was running as the #3 MLB and playing exclusively on ST.

Jason, you're kidding, right? Four tackles in a whopping nine games of actually earning a gameday jersey is now considered a "good season?" Nominate Donte' Curry for the Pro Bowl, then.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Dec 30, 2008 9:44:50 PM

Well Procton, the fact that Taylor was taken in the seventh round of the draft makes it pretty amazing that the guy even is given a gameday jersey. At least he has a sack recorded. Cut him some slack pal.

Posted by: Ivan | Dec 30, 2008 11:31:01 PM

I seem to remember Godfrey has made several big game-changing plays. Remember him chasing down Jerame Tuman and saving a TD on the fake field goal Arizona ran (we only won that game by 4 by the way), remember the bomb Brees threw last weekend on a great play fake where Godfrey didn't bite and held perfect coverage, once again saving a TD? Not to mention, a lot of him "getting burned" came from Ken Lucas getting torched and Godfrey not getting over to help soon enough, but when Lucas can only hold coverage for 1.4 seconds before he either falls down or runs out of gas, I don't see how the onus should fall on Godfrey every time.

Either way, even though he has been burned (and not "constantly" by any stretch of the imagination) he is a rookie third-round pick who was a college CB and is learning FS on the fly. But of course, since he is not a Pro-Bowler in his rookie season he is only worthy of the ever-so-intelligent Proctologist's ire.

Hey Procton, after DeAngelo didn't hit the hole well enough and "danced around too much" in his first 2 seasons, didn't you spend all offseason saying he wouldn't amount to anything this year? Ater Thomas Davis struggled when he was forced to switch back and forth from safety to LB in his first 3 seasons, didn't you say that he was a mediocre linebacker who also wouldn't amount to anything? What about Peppers 14.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 5 pass deflections and an extra point block? What happened to him disappearing for games at a time? You always want to point out others' flaws, but when others point out yours you either disappear or just don't acknowledge that they even said anything.

On another note, KIR consistently posts the most inaccurate facts on this blog (aside from you), and you thought it was worth picking apart his post as if that meant you were intelligent? Dude, get a girlfriend.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 31, 2008 12:00:23 AM