« Change of heart: Trgovac out | Main | Panthers announce Scherer hiring »

January 22, 2009

Another coach leaves Panthers: Lewis to Seattle

The Panthers now have to hire four new defensive assistants after news this morning that coordinator Mike Trgovac turned down an offer to return and, according to espn.com, defensive backs coach Tim Lewis is leaving for the same position in Seattle.

Posted by Observer Sports on January 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM | Permalink

Comments

The dominoes continue to fall...

Posted by: emlit | Jan 22, 2009 12:45:30 PM

Clean slate. I like it. Sounds like Jerry got involved. Go Panthers!

Posted by: gradyhog | Jan 22, 2009 12:50:09 PM

Hmm... Cleaning defensive house so Peppers will stay?

Posted by: gkev | Jan 22, 2009 12:51:36 PM

Sounds to me like they are really making changes to keep Peppers. Unfortunately we are built for a 4-3 defence player-wise, so we can't just immediately change to a 3-4. Some of the players will work in both systems, but you can't just make that change.

However, a new coordinator and staff is a great thing, and may be able to make some changes that will make our defense much stronger and Pep may want to stay.

Posted by: panthergirl | Jan 22, 2009 12:54:35 PM

I hope Fox sees this as an affront to his style of keeping tight reigns on his assistants.

Posted by: Reality | Jan 22, 2009 12:54:52 PM

With a healthy Dan Conner coming back, I actually think we could have a successful 3-4 with Peppers, but ultimately, I'd rather run a 4-3 and get a couple high draft picks in exchange for Peppers.

Posted by: JanitorDan | Jan 22, 2009 1:05:07 PM

Remember, a lot of the defensive position coaches left for better roles on other teams. With that said, I think it's coincidence that Pepper's announcement was followed by the news of these coaches jumping ship. I think this will turn out great for the Panthers in the end. We'll almost certainly get a higher 1st round pick for Peppers than we would've had (#28) if we didn't trade for the Otah pick last year, and our defensive will have a new look (provided the new D.C. isn't just a middle man between Fox and Beason's earpiece). I'm starting to really look forward to this offseason, even though it started about three weeks too soon.

Posted by: Newsinz | Jan 22, 2009 1:06:15 PM

Romeo? Romeo? Wherefore art thou, Romeo?

Posted by: dogear | Jan 22, 2009 1:07:19 PM

i don't think this has anything to do with keeping Peppers. I think they knew what we all know....Turgo is a mediocre coach. Let's aim high for a really feared defense with more Beason-type players with an attitude.

Posted by: Dan | Jan 22, 2009 1:08:11 PM

I think this guy just wanted to be near family..His brother works in the front office there.

Posted by: JV | Jan 22, 2009 1:21:07 PM

I wonder what it is about Fox and the org that is making all of these coaches want to leave

Posted by: matt | Jan 22, 2009 1:43:40 PM

Well, I am not one who believes in coincidences. 4 defensive coaches all coincidently leaving during the same off season, when everything was supposedly okay with the defense? I don't buy it. I think everybody saw the handwriting on the wall, and are getting out while there are other opportunities available. Something is definately going on... whether its for Peppers or not, I don't know... But I think you need to look at the person Fox hires as DC... if he hires a strong person (i.e. been around the league awhile, maybe as a head coach and a DC), I think you can say change is coming. If its a younger guy, with little experience, you can expect Fox to dictate the scheme, and it to be the same old, same old next year. Time will tell.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 22, 2009 1:52:32 PM

The scary thing is that Turdo was offered the job again for next year. We should all be thanking him for turning it down.

Posted by: mcap | Jan 22, 2009 1:52:53 PM

It's Fox who needs to go. He keeps cutting off the branches but it's the tree that is rotten.

Posted by: LR | Jan 22, 2009 1:53:14 PM

I am not missin Lewis either.

Posted by: hellfish | Jan 22, 2009 1:54:17 PM

Tim:

Please take Ken Lucas back to Seattle with you.....

Posted by: Tony | Jan 22, 2009 1:58:05 PM

If they are doing this to keep Peppers happy, then it's fine by me. I could deal with him leaving, but it would be sad to see the team without one of it's biggest faces.
Also, switching schemes might not be a bad idea. It seems like the trendy thing to do. A number of perennial playoff teams such as San Diego and New England employ the 3-4 system, not to mention the top two teams in the AFC, the Steelers and Ravens, who also boasted by far the league's best defenses.
Cleveland also runs the 3-4, which could leave the door open for Romeo Crennel to come in and be our D-Coordinator, just as he was for New England during the Super Bowl years.

Posted by: Greged | Jan 22, 2009 2:09:56 PM

To me the problem is the D-Line. Think back to when this team had a great D. They were able to get preesure on the QB with Four lineman. The QB had less time to throw and the DB's did not have to cover as long. We need some fresh talent on the D-line.....with or without Peppers

Posted by: William | Jan 22, 2009 2:11:13 PM

I think Herm Edwards will be our next Def Coordinator (as soon as he's fired from KC). Fox is tight with him and I would welcome that!

Posted by: ChrisB | Jan 22, 2009 2:12:06 PM

There are no coincidences.

Posted by: Wake-up | Jan 22, 2009 2:12:21 PM

Something is going on. Is Fox next to go?

Posted by: striker | Jan 22, 2009 2:15:20 PM

Maybe we will hire some guys that think covering Larry Fitz is a good idea....

Posted by: adubb | Jan 22, 2009 2:16:19 PM

These coaching changes mean nothing unless Fox comes to the realization that the league has caught up to his defensive scheme, and that he needs fresh ideas and schemes. I doubt that happens, and, most likely, he'll hire from within. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but he is conservative in his appraoch to everything he does.

Posted by: Irony | Jan 22, 2009 2:40:46 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the Panthers should hire a defensive assistant from the Ravens or Steelers, ala Del Rio, and run a 3-4? They do have some pretty quality personnel for a 3-4. They already have a 365 NT in Kemoeatu and Brayton could be a decent 3-4 DE. The otherside would be interesting but it COULD be done. They could potentially have a LB corps of Peppers (I pray), Connor, Beason, and Davis. That LB lineup is pretty sick and could wreak some havoc. Any takers?

Posted by: Al | Jan 22, 2009 2:43:41 PM

He can't hire from within, there is no one left to hire.

Posted by: cmo | Jan 22, 2009 2:55:46 PM