« Panthers have impact in Pro Bowl | Main | Panthers fill LB, secondary coaches' jobs »

February 09, 2009

Panthers can make cuts today

In addition to figuring out what to do with Julius Peppers and negotiating with Jordan Gross, the Panthers can start cutting players today.

Whether they happen today or not, casualties might include cornerback Ken Lucas, linebacker Landon Johnson and receiver D.J. Hackett.

Lucas, 30, would cost the Panthers about $9 million in cap money this season. He's been with the Panthers since 2005, but he struggled at times this season, especially down the stretch.

Johnson and Hackett are two free agent pickups from 2008 who had little impact. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on February 9, 2009 at 12:28 PM | Permalink

Comments

I really liked the Landon Johnson pickup. Shows what I know.

Posted by: Procton | Feb 9, 2009 12:33:25 PM

I really thought Hackett was a good pick up, so I am with you. I always liked Lucas, especially the way he handled himself after the sucker punch. But I guess it is still a business and he just isn't worth the money for what he can or can't do on the field anymore.

Posted by: Truer Fan | Feb 9, 2009 12:42:43 PM

I say go ahead an drop Hackett. In my mind, Jarrett played just as good as Hackett, plus there is that guy that was playing good during camp and preseason that got hurt for the year. I cant remember his name. He caught a TD during Fan Fest. He can be the #4 guy.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 9, 2009 1:06:55 PM

His name is Jason Carter. I always liked him for some reason. I think he will be on the roster next year, and personally I think he will suprise alot of people in the league next season.

Posted by: Al | Feb 9, 2009 1:10:14 PM

Hackett's injury bug follow's him where ever he goes...just cannot play 6 games in a row let alone 16+ but he was a good gamble and good when be was able. Lucas seemed to forget that dbs are suppose to forget....turned into a headcase the last 5-6 ballgames...it will be interesting to see what happens to him, because he is surely an above the ave db. i am not certain marshall can be a fulltimer.
i for one hope that the new dc will lat his hair down some and play more m/m coverage and bring more pressure...but the panther secondary may not be built for much blitzing in m/m...
the peppers trade will be huge for the near future of the ball club...get the best available dt or de in this yrs draft with the 1st round choice than a begin the process of gettin m/m stle db's with the second rounder....

Posted by: Nebcatfan | Feb 9, 2009 1:29:08 PM

Two questions: 1) Why is it taking so long to sign the new position coaches?

2) I still don't understand why they didn't do everything possible to get Gross under contract last year so they wouldn't have to be in the position they are in now. They have to give Gross whatever he wants so that they can fanchise Peppers, and, since he made the Pro Bowl, he's going to command even more money now. It's not as if there was ever any question as to whether they liked Gross and wanted to keep him long term. Let's hope they don't wait until the lst minute and put themselves in an even worse position.

Posted by: Irony | Feb 9, 2009 1:51:53 PM

Luke has got to go..he became a real hinderance at times last year and Richard Marshall has argubly been a better corner the past two seasons...
Johnson needs to jet because he's a waste of money..especially with Na'il Diggs and Dan Connor on the roster...

Posted by: Ocelost | Feb 9, 2009 2:22:46 PM

I exspect Gross to sign a long term deal that averages $9M to $10M and then be moved to RT & to see Otah moved over to LT where they drafted him to be. Delhomme will be restructured over three years. Hangartner should be extended. Lucas, Johnson, Walker,
Kyle, Hackett, Anderson, Goings & Seward should be cut. Jones, Robinson & Carter will fight it out for the KR & PR job. Peppers should yield us a DT, LB & WR with the three picks that we get out of his deal & we should use our own top draft pick on another DE or DT. With all that said, Jake should have a chance to redeem himself in the 2009 - 2010 playoffs. Anything wrong with this prognostication?

Posted by: Morrie | Feb 9, 2009 2:58:55 PM

Jason Carter is the truth. He isn't going to step in and replace Moose yet, but still very capable of picking up or surpassing what Jarrett and Hackett did last year. hopefully he can stay healthy. and for some reason something just keeps tellin me jarrett will get better. crossing fingers

Posted by: Clay | Feb 9, 2009 4:05:10 PM

cmon morrie u got to be kidding me...u cant sign Gross to big time LT money than putm back at RT that doesnt make any sense. Also, hacket comes cheap dont be surprised if hes around for training camp...but not much there after. I exspect jason carter to step up as well. I understand the delhomme reworkings, just cant see payn him 10 mill. Anderson is a viable backup who comes cheap and plays good ST. Im also under the the impression that connor will take over for diggs so johnson may be the odd man out. I like resigning hangartner...if he will. Walker can stay as long as his contract makes sense...which i have no idea about. And as far as goings goes...id love to see some fresh legs back there or maybe a return specialist...although he comes real cheap. Gota franchise pep and trade...his value is through the roof. Lucas is a tough situation...if we cutm, we only save like 3.4 mill on cap. is that worth it? im glad thats not for me to decide. thats my 2 cents.

Posted by: randy | Feb 9, 2009 4:53:17 PM

SHIP PEPPERS OFF TO THE RAIDERS AND SE HOW IT LIKES THE LEFT COAST IF HE HATES IT HERE SO BAD...

Posted by: ERNIE | Feb 9, 2009 5:27:55 PM

You guys are morons. Why move Gross to RT and Otah to LT?

Our line was the second best (arguably best since RB and O-line go hand and hand) part of the team and you want to take the two most important figures and switch their positions?!

C'mon get a brain!

I agree though, Gross should have been signed a long time ago. Funny, when we still had the chance to get Pep everybody was going LET GROSS WALK! now its SIGN GROSS NOW! Haha, I was one of those people also.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Feb 9, 2009 5:40:14 PM

Ken Lucas jerseys are marked down 50% (along with Julius Peppers jerseys) at panthers.com. I believe that gives us an indication of what to expect.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 9, 2009 5:45:40 PM

This is just throwing this out there and probably won't happen, but the Titans will probably loose Albert Hanesworth and need to enhance the D-Line with some "talent", and we need a defensive backfield, so I would propose a trade: Peppers for Finnegan. If we had Finnegan our coverage would be good long enough for our young talent DE's (Charles Johnson and maybe Hilee Taylor; he's shown some raw talent) to actually get to the QB. Even though Finnegan isn't a FA they could still trade, and then I would use any left over money to pick up Haynesworth. Could you imagine Johnson, Kemo, Haynesworth, Brayton/Taylor and our DB's with Finnegan, Gamble, Godfrey, Harris and our LB's Davis, Beason, Connor, if that plus a good job by the new DC we would have a tremendous defense next year. But I seriously doubt that would happen, but it is worth a shot. Thoughts???

Posted by: Cameron | Feb 9, 2009 6:10:30 PM

Gamble and Jarrett jerseys are also on sale at Panthers.com. Any newsworthy thoughts there?

Posted by: Fred | Feb 9, 2009 6:44:48 PM

I agree with Oscelost, we could keep Gross and trade Peppers but we still could move Travelle Waharton back to Left Tackle and bring in Keydrick Vincent and Geoff hangartner along with Jeremy Bridges and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick on the offensive line as well as Evan Mathis and Ryan Kalil. We just got to do this right!!!

Posted by: Will | Feb 9, 2009 7:25:11 PM

Gotta say, a lot of good ideas out there. But I gotta fundamentally disagree with anyone who thinks we need more offensive WR help... look, we were a top 3 running attack, we had the #2 or 3 wide receiver in the league (would'a been #1 if not for the 2 game absence) AND another wide out who got 1000 yrds. The ONLY weak link... fan of Delhomme or NOT is Delhomme, realistically, statistically, PERIOD. He is inconsistent, his stats show he always has been even in our super bowl year, he had the worst game EVER as a QB in our playoff game... come on... you can still like the guy, worship his shrine and send him love notes but use ur heads... we gotta replace him... ALL we need is a guy who can throw 65%, hold on to the ball, 4-5 more TD's than INT.'s and we could fully realize our offensive potential. How can anyone see Smitty, moose, deangelo, stewart and our O line and NOT wonder why we were ranked how low in offensive production. COME ON! We are the SAME inconsistent passing team we were with Henning.. remember how we all loved to see his geriatric offense leave... well apparently it wasn't him. You don't call deep/ complicated routes if ur QB can't make the throws. Look at the difference in Ariz. with warner vs. leinart... same receivers but superbowl contenders.

Posted by: handyman | Feb 9, 2009 7:54:44 PM

Oh and we need DE's, DT's, a shut down CB and who ever else we can get. My money: sign gross, cut lucas and others to free up enough cap money to sign Haynesworth, franch. and trade pep to a top 7 drafting team... get 2-3 pics, get a star DE first, CB second and Graham Harrell as air apparent. Imagine Orakpro, Haynesworth, M.K. and Johnson/ Taylor!! With more help in the secondary and a solid LB core... wow!

Posted by: handyman | Feb 9, 2009 7:59:49 PM

Does anyone want to get together before fanfest and have a bonfire, I thought we could use all the peppers jersey's along with a few other folks like CARR, Carter, Foster, PEPPERS, and Keshawn Johnson anyone I'm forgetting? That way we can get on with next season. Oh yeah I'll throw the bobble head, fathead and numerous cards signed as well to the fire.

Posted by: Scott | Feb 9, 2009 8:06:24 PM

Why would you throw away something that is worth money? if you want to get rid of it then sell it, jeez I swear some people have no idea how to invest into something and then sell it.

Posted by: Cameron | Feb 9, 2009 8:20:27 PM

The annual half off sale of colthing items from panthers.com is the normal.

1. Either the player is going to be released or they have too many of them.

2. This is the off-season. Demand for football merchandise is low.

As a fan, we can speculate on who should stay who should go all day. As long as the team wins is all I care about. I want to see the Panthers have 2 winning seasons in a row, then we will really have something to talk about.

Posted by: Anthony | Feb 9, 2009 8:36:56 PM

No more Jordan Gross (too expensive)

No more Julius Peppers (place tag and trade)

Top dollar Free Agent we sign:

a. Anquan Boldon
b. Tony Gonzalez
c. TJ Houshmandzadeh
d. Albert Haynesworth
e. none of the above

Posted by: bb | Feb 9, 2009 11:19:48 PM

I would like the Panthers to go CB on the Free Agent market. CBs are a high risk pick after first/second round talent. Hanesworth will be too expensive and his past behavior has not been stellar. Duante Robinson of the Texans would be my targeted guy. Go DE/DT with the first round pick we get for Peppers and then go get either Josh Freeman or Nate Davis in the second to be in training for the next year behind Delhomme.
Also I love James Casey from Rice in the third round if he is there. He is a tight end who lined up at QB and FB at times. Great receiver and heir apparent to Hoover.

Posted by: GooseCreek | Feb 10, 2009 12:18:49 AM

That's a good idea. Cut Jordan Gross. Nah we don't need an offensive line. Williams and Stewart is a beast. They can do it on their own.

*sigh*