« Panthers can make cuts today | Main | Opponents for '09: Brutally tough »

February 10, 2009

Panthers fill LB, secondary coaches' jobs

The Panthers hired Richard Smith to coach their linebackers and Ron Milus as secondary coach, the team announced Tuesday.

Smith, recently fired as the Houston Texans' defensive coordinator, replaces Ken Flajole, who left the Panthers to become the St. Louis Rams' defensive coordinator. Milus was the Rams' defensive backs coach from 2006-08 before he, too, was let go after the season.

Under Smith, the Texans had the NFL's 22nd-ranked defense last season. Houston allowed 336.6 yards per game (122.6 on the ground, 213.9 passing).

Milus will join Mike Gillhamer in working with the Panthers' defensive backs.

The Panthers still have to hire a defensive line coach. Ron Meeks replaced Mike Trgovac as defensive coordinator in January.

“Richard is a veteran coach who has experience with all phases of defense as a coordinator and has excelled as a linebacker coach,” said Panthers head coach John Fox.  “Ron has had success as a secondary coach for the last decade and is an outstanding teacher.  We are pleased to have them joining our staff.” -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on February 10, 2009 at 04:17 PM | Permalink

Comments

IF ONLY WE CAN GET EDWARDS?

Posted by: PFUNK | Feb 10, 2009 4:37:25 PM

boy this team is on way down...

Posted by: debo | Feb 10, 2009 4:44:19 PM

Why is this team on the way down, debo? Maybe you should back up your statement with some facts. Do you have any particular knowledge about these two coaches? I'm sure you would be an excellent GM for the Panthers. Go apply now.

Posted by: William | Feb 10, 2009 4:54:58 PM

Hmmmmm, we picked up two coaches from two teams not known for having good defenses. Makes you wonder.

Posted by: CWPanthers | Feb 10, 2009 5:07:30 PM

Yeah, CWPanthers. I'm sure they are trying to throw the games next season. HMMMM...I'm starting to wonder about some of the comments.

Posted by: William | Feb 10, 2009 5:13:43 PM

This whole situation with Meeks and the new coaches reeks of a stop gap. I wouldn't be shocked if Fox and his new band of never-were's are gone by this time next year.

Posted by: JanitorDan | Feb 10, 2009 5:17:39 PM

HEY WILLIAM HERE'S WHY. OUR QB SUCKS, OUR D-LINE SUCKS, WE HAD A VERY EASY SCHEDULE LAST YEAR AND THIS YEARS SCHEDULE IS A MONSTER, WE DONT HAVE A THIRD RECEIVER, OR A SECOND CB. OTHER THAN THAT, WERE AWESOME.

Posted by: rafi | Feb 10, 2009 5:27:12 PM

OH YEAH I ALMOST FORGOT. FOX IS ONE OF THE WORST PLAYCALLERS IN THE GAME. IF WE HAVE A 2 TD LEAD WE SHOULD BURY THEM, NOT ALLOW THEM TO COME BACK.

Posted by: rafi | Feb 10, 2009 5:28:19 PM

Nothing like hiring guys from teams with bad defenses that were fired.

Posted by: jbw2 | Feb 10, 2009 5:31:22 PM

Dream on my man, just don't see it...period. From a position coach to a dc, from a dc to a hc...from a hc to a dl coach...what! Edwards is as likely to become the panthers dl coach as #90 is to remain a panther....just isn't happening!

Coaches hire folks they know and trust...Fox has been the most successful coach Carolina has had...give them the year...the staff will make the adjustments needed to keep the ball club headed in the right direction. If things seem to bog down and the next level of consistency doesn't happen...trust in the Big Cat Boss-Man to make the adjustments he deems appropriate for the organization.

Posted by: Nebcatfan | Feb 10, 2009 5:41:49 PM

Can you people really be this ignorant about football. For that matter can you be this stupid about everything.
#1 Bill Cowher stinks as a coach.
#2 Do you think these guys stunk before being hired by the last team?
#3 I wish I had the crystal ball that some of you had and I could pick my stocks a bit better.

Posted by: PureFan | Feb 10, 2009 5:42:39 PM

You want facts? Take a look at the hires, both from UNDER PERFORMING BAD teams. They were FIRED for a reason, and yet Fox hires them.

Fox = MORON

Posted by: Amazing | Feb 10, 2009 5:43:38 PM

Oh yeah john Fox is so bad, he won 12 games and lost 4, and stop talking about easy schedules, EVERY GAME is hard. It just shows that NFL fans like some of you are not NFL smart. Yeah Fox is conservative, but it works people, it works!!! Jack Del Rio went for it on fourth down the most last year, yeah he is no conservative at all, and where was he when the Panthers were in the playoffs, at home. I like how john fox and his staff run this team, it has a strong core of family values, love, support, and character. That makes me proud.

Posted by: Ronnie | Feb 10, 2009 5:49:35 PM

maybe because the coaches for the good defenses arent being let go?

Posted by: kas dawg | Feb 10, 2009 6:11:21 PM

Hey RONNIE

that home playoff game you are crowing about, yeah, hundreds of dollars for a ticket only to get to see Fox get outcoached and embarrassed.

Guess what skippy, they ended up in the same place as the Jaguars only the Jaguars get a good first round draft pick this year.

Keep being a homer and wearing those rose colored glasses. I bet you cried when Trgovac left didn't you?

Posted by: Amazing | Feb 10, 2009 6:15:51 PM

Ronnie my man...we are on the same page! And apparently the Big Cat Boss-Man see's it the same way. Coaches have philosophy which shoule prove out over the long haul...stressing ball control, with a solid run game and big-play pa passing is solid. Consistent, know what you are getting D is a must and just wasn't a Panther long suit by yrs end....that should change. But anytime turnovers enter the mix....every thing else goes out the window. to ratio is huge and the panthers just had one of those nights....do folks really think that if they played AZ 10 times, the Cards would win 9 or 10...I'd say much more like 3 perhaps 4....get over it and look forward to next year!

Posted by: Nebcatfan | Feb 10, 2009 6:16:33 PM

Give the guys a shot first. Jeeze. And please get your caps lock fixed, rafi, since I KNOW you can't be typing in all capitals because you're an idiot.

Posted by: Greged | Feb 10, 2009 6:27:26 PM

Hey, JanitorDan. I'm sure that you could do a lot better. You fail to note the improvement in last year's team versus the year before. Yeah...it must be Jake's fault that we "only" won twelve games last year. Fox and Meeks must be the problem according to you. Yes..we do need to upgrade postions. Aside from that, I do hope that you prosper as a janitor and can see your way clear to support the Panthers next year.

Posted by: William | Feb 10, 2009 6:33:34 PM

It just amazes me how fickle some fans are. I'm tired of people saying the Panthers had an easy schedule blah blah. Is Fox conservative. Yes. I would like to see more screens to the RBS and give the young guys a chance. Give these coaches a chance before you start making negative. Some guys are cut out to be coordinators and not head coaches (Norv Turner, Gregg Williams) some guys are cut out to be position coaches and not coordinators. Herm Edwards accepted a job to be analyst in 09 so that's why we didn't get him. And if I recall, it was some fans here that predicted we wouldn't do much last year. You call the Chargers, Falcons, Saints, Giants, Vikings, Cardinals the Bucs easy? As far as players leaving. Yeah, Kris Jenkins had a good year and made it to the Pro Bowl, but where was his team at. I'll tell you at home watching the playoffs after the Jets choked. I like Peppers, but if he thinks that we're letting him walk without any compensation, then he and his agent got another thing coming. Be careful what you ask for. Yall were complaining about changes in the defensive staff and it's happening and still moaning. Some of you complained last year when we didn't break the bank in free agency. I can name three to four teams that did and didn't make the playoffs.

Posted by: Kevin | Feb 10, 2009 6:35:11 PM

Sorry JanitorDan. My eyes crossed. My comments were meant for RAFI...WHO SEEMS TO HAVE A CAPS LOCK ISSUE!

Posted by: William | Feb 10, 2009 6:36:30 PM

I'm glad there is some action on closing the positions. Don't know how well these gentlemen will work out, but I am hopeful that they will mesh and produce next year.
Now close the DLine Coach position and concentrate on signing Gross!

Posted by: GooseCreek | Feb 10, 2009 6:54:40 PM

doesn't look good for the secondary....the linebackers might be okay though

Posted by: RJK | Feb 10, 2009 9:06:37 PM

ok when r they gonna replace jake and coach fox I hear Jeff Garcia is ready to play.

Posted by: frankie | Feb 10, 2009 9:27:33 PM

Really, I'm amazed that you guys are calling the Panthers whole season based on a couple of assistant coaches. That's all they are: Assistant coaches. They don't call plays, they don't make tough decisions on the sideline. They're simply there to help out players with their workout and learning the game plan during practice.

Posted by: Revshawn | Feb 10, 2009 9:36:02 PM

Everyone is always calling for the coaches head. How many of you every played football beyond Pee Wee?

Keep in mind, our opponents are payed to play too. They are pretty good - but we still won 12 games.

Fox is a keeper - the best coach we'ver ever had. Let him coach and try something new - shut your mouth.

Posted by: JNV | Feb 10, 2009 9:36:14 PM