« Panthers' offseason to-do list | Main | Aloha for Peppers? »

February 06, 2009

Peppers donates $100,000 to UNC

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers has donated $100,000 to a scholarship program that supports African-American Students at his alma mater of North Carolina.

Peppers' donation will go to the Light on the Hill Society Scholarship, a tribute to UNC's earliest black graduates. It helps alumni and friends support black freshmen who show the potential for academic excellence at UNC and after they graduate.

"I am happy to support the Light on the Hill Scholarship," said Peppers. "For a number of years, I have been thinking about how I could give something back to the university. Helping young people achieve their dream is a personal priority for me. Giving to this particular effort is my attempt to assist and reward some of our best and brightest students." -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on February 6, 2009 at 05:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

Thats a pretty good size donation.. Good to see Peppers do something good. and er say something good

See ya later Pep

Posted by: Ed | Feb 6, 2009 5:20:13 PM

Public Relations to repair his image.

Posted by: jp | Feb 6, 2009 5:46:17 PM

Good of him to do that

Posted by: Nick | Feb 6, 2009 5:49:45 PM

I commend Peppers for his donation. At the same time ... why not $1,000,000 for the donation? As a retired faculty member, I am well aware of scholarships sponsored by retired faculty who NEVER made more than $100,000 in any year ... and started their careers with annual salaries around $10,000. Today's athletes could do SO much more. Not just Peppers ... but ALL of them.

Posted by: DocB | Feb 6, 2009 6:06:48 PM

Good Move!....Let's see; if I make $100,000 and give $2000 to UNC, which I've done in multiples, am I an Observer story? If Julius maked $5M, is he an Observer story if he gives $100,000? Annual, yes. One time, no.

Posted by: go1535 | Feb 6, 2009 6:12:44 PM

So let me get this straight, this donation is for a scholarship for ONLY black students? Isn't that just a bit more than racist? I don't want to hear the B.S. about the past, this is present day and it is RACIST to give money to a student based on the color of their skin.

I am sure if someone was to donate money and say only white students could get it, we would have the NAACP all over it, but when it is done is reverse, it is ok.

Posted by: Amazing | Feb 6, 2009 6:13:26 PM

I think that's a great thing Peppers has done. They give scholarships specifically for women, engineering majors, first-generation college students, etc all the time and I never get offended eventhough I wouldn't be eligible as a male, biology major with educated parents. The guy does something good and we still find a reason to criticize him. Go figure.

Posted by: rbwright | Feb 6, 2009 6:54:26 PM

Some of you assholes will make something negative out of anything a person does(in this case , Peppers).Peppers came from a little country town and was living on the other side of the track, as some say. His athletic skills got him a scholarship to UNC, a place he could never afford to attend otherwise. Now he is trying to help some under-privileged black kids who have excelled academically be able to attend UNC.

Only a jerk would try to make a racial issue out of it.Maybe those of you who are complaining have racial issues.

Posted by: redsandy | Feb 6, 2009 7:30:30 PM

DocB, if you 'maked' $5 Million? Hope you don't send too much money for that education buddy!

Posted by: Tarheel | Feb 6, 2009 7:39:49 PM

No redsandy, those of us complaining are tired of the double standard. Maybe you cannot take your homer glasses off, but if Jake Delhomme sent money for a scholarship for ONLY white students, don't even tell me Rev Al, Jessie and all the NAACP would not be raising a stink about it. By the way, it only took Peppers 7 YEARS to donate what he spends on one vehicle, so maybe you should take you lips off his ass sandy and call it how it is, RACISM plain and simple.

Posted by: Amazing | Feb 6, 2009 7:54:19 PM

$100,000 says Peppers didn't come up with that statement on his own.

Posted by: tarheeljd08 | Feb 6, 2009 8:29:14 PM

As a Carolina alum, I am happy for all contributions to the University that support our students. Thank you, Julius Peppers.

Posted by: DaveT | Feb 6, 2009 8:33:25 PM

Maybe Peppers can get a job with Bob Johnson now that we know both of them are racists. Peppers wants to be in the nba anyway. Maybe he can achieve there.

Posted by: STEVESMITH | Feb 6, 2009 10:31:47 PM

My goodness. If I donate money it will always be to a cause close to my heart. If he wants to donate funds for education of ANYONE that is a win-win.

Posted by: Rene | Feb 6, 2009 11:49:21 PM

I wonder when white athletes will create scholarships for white students. What will you people say? You will call that athlete a racist. That's what you will do.

Julius Peppers is a racist. When you discriminate for or against someone based on their skin color you are a racist. Period.

Posted by: SeanNC | Feb 6, 2009 11:54:49 PM

This is great news. It is good to know that pep is giving money to the UNC system.

Posted by: rick johnson | Feb 7, 2009 12:45:50 AM

Ok people let's think about this- If this was a historically black university and a "minority scholarship" is funded that would be for the "minority race" based on the student population for that particular school correct which would be a "white student"?

Why is it a big deal that Julius contributed a scholarship that would help "minority students?" As a college graduate from a majority "white college" minority scholarships are few in numbers and very hard to come across. Now all of a sudden he's racist because he supports "minority scholarship"? Anyone that see a problem with that really have racial issues that they need to address, face, and deal with.....OOh lastly it's not like he "created this scholarship" it was already in place by UNC well before he came along so let me see it's ok that UNC created this scholarship specifically for Black Students however it should go unfunded or if someone funds it they're racist??? If it's so unfair, so biased then UNC would've dismissed the scholarship....

This is coming from a non white or non black person...

Posted by: Mimi | Feb 7, 2009 12:55:09 AM

Everyone that is complaining A Black Man donating Money to a Black Scholarship at UNC is mad still because Your President is BLACK....... Get over it....

Posted by: Tammy | Feb 7, 2009 1:02:21 AM

Mimi

Yes, Julius Peppers is a racist.

If a white athlete created a scholarship for white people you and other leftists would denounce that person as a racist.

I'm sick of the double standard. Barack Obama is a racist. He went to racist church for 20 years and so he is a racist.

Julius Peppers donates funds to create a black only scholarship and as a result he is a racist.

The double standard is over.

Posted by: SeanNC | Feb 7, 2009 2:43:17 AM

So if a female engineer donated money toward a scholarship for aspiring female engineers, as they are underrepresented in the field, would she would be sexist?

If a person from an underrepresented rural county sets up a scholarship for people from that county (this has occurred at UNC) attending that school, would they be a "regionalist?"

Are scholarships based on financial need classist?

This has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with the reality of a school promoting education for a group that they one time did not even admit. And they do it for other groups as well. There are examples of double standards that border on racism, but this is not one of them.

Ultimately, I think it is a generous and good move on Pep's part and I am happy to hear he did it.

Posted by: jperry | Feb 7, 2009 6:08:29 AM

I think it's really sad that most of you idiots complaining saying he's racist don't realize that you have racist issues. I would willing to bet every last one of you that say Peppers is racist would not trade one year of your white lives of the typical black person. Just the fact that you idiots are on hear complaining about it shows that just because we have a black president, we are still not over the racist views of some idiots! In some respects you're right about the NAACP and Rev. Al. I, as a black person, really can't stand some of things they do, but don't try and act like things are peachy for ALL black people now. I think this country is really close to equality and I love the change that I've seen through my years, but you IDIOTS remind of how we still need a little more changing. I'm sure if someone created a scholarship fund for under privileged white kids at majority black college, there would be no issues. It's no different than minority scholarships. Grow up, get a life, and move on!

Posted by: balla823 | Feb 7, 2009 10:07:48 AM

you guys are funny! It's his money. Guess what, he can donate it anywhere he wants! No, I don't think $100,000 for the first time in eight years is news worthy, BUT I am sure they are happy to receive it.

Posted by: Gut | Feb 7, 2009 11:11:05 AM

some of you people get offended way too easy. Its not racist of him to want to help black people and black people only with this donation, please, you are all adults so stop the crying

Posted by: matt | Feb 7, 2009 12:30:37 PM

One more time.

IF A WHITE ATHLETE CREATED A SCHOLARSHIP FOR WHITE PEOPLE ONLY YOU LEFTISTS WOULD BE SCREAMING "RACISM."

Yes, women can create scholarships for women, black people can do it for black people, gays for gays, Jews for Jews, physically disabled for the physically disabled, Asians for Asians, Muslims for Muslims and of course white people can create scholarships for anyone except exclusively for white people. But white people cannot have scholarships that are exclusively for white people. It's racism for them to do that.

There's a glaring double standard. This scholarship announcement by Julius Peppers is just another indication.

That's why Barack Obama is president. It's okay for him to attend an openly racist church for 20 years, to surround himself with openly racist people and to be friends with people who are openly anti-American, anti-semitic and virulently racist against white people.

We are supposed to be entering the post-racial period in American history. Barack Obama said so. So did the media. His presidency represents the dawn of post-racial America. Barack Obama and the media made that declaration. I didn't say it. I'm simply holding them to that.

Posted by: SeanNC | Feb 7, 2009 2:00:25 PM

who cares, what if's are irrelevant, Peppers didn't create it, ,its his money to do what he sees fit.

Posted by: matt | Feb 7, 2009 6:31:55 PM