« Holt to Panthers? Barney Fife that one | Main | Panthers: No Peppers deal, or talks »

March 15, 2009

`Buyer beware' sign clearly on Cutler

Why do so many Panthers fans want the team to trade for disgruntled Denver QB Jay Cutler? First of all, it's not going to happen. Beyond that, do you really want him given some of his behavior of late?

Last season, he declared his arm was stronger -- "hands down" -- than John Elway's. Even if that's true -- and it's not -- why would he say that, especially as the quarterback of Elway's former team? It wasn't even remotely wise and gave a strong hint of potential trouble. Elway is a Hall of Famer with two Super Bowl titles. Cutler is just getting started.

Now, he and his new coach are feuding. Cutler is looking very little like a team leader right now. Mel Kiper Jr. may have a point in saying he might be another Jeff George.

Face it, Cutler is not the kind of guy who fits the Panthers' leadership mold. Say whatever you want about Jake Delhomme, he's accountable and doesn't try to trump his teammates or other players -- past, present or future.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on March 15, 2009 at 09:25 PM | Permalink

Comments

Face it this is Jake's team, and Cutler is not greener grass.

Posted by: PantherHead | Mar 15, 2009 9:37:56 PM

I tell you why we want Cutler. Becasue he is better than what we have and the potential to be REAL GOOD!

Posted by: harold | Mar 15, 2009 9:39:00 PM

A month ago I would have been all for Cutler (though I know it would never happen). Now I'm thrilled we dont has that crybaby on our team! Jake may pout about calls on the field but at least he doesnt pout everytime he gets his feelings hurt.

Posted by: gengizk | Mar 15, 2009 9:50:43 PM

Why is everyone griping about Jake? Delhomme won 12 games for us last year and is a great leader. You can't ask for much more than that. Be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: Gnap | Mar 15, 2009 10:06:30 PM

Cutler's a punk. Stay away.

Posted by: TP | Mar 15, 2009 10:06:59 PM

If Cutler is that damn good why arent all the other teams in the league that need a QB lining up to trade for him?
TP you are right, he is a punk he has showed that time and time again, second only to Rivers he is the biggest QB punk out there.

Posted by: Ben | Mar 15, 2009 10:29:19 PM

Too immature. That's fixable, but how long will it take?

Posted by: Ben | Mar 15, 2009 10:37:50 PM

Gnap, the panthers went 12-4 despite of Jake not because of him. Im not a Jake hater and Im fine with him as our starter since there are no better options right now. But he is clearly on the decline and this team needs to find his replacement soon.

Posted by: gengizk | Mar 15, 2009 11:04:35 PM

Sure, Cutler is a risk. But this is a Peppers issue. Would you rather a) pay Julius $17m for one year b) hold out for 1st round picks, not get them, and be forced to trade him for peanuts or c) take a deal for Cutler (assuming it's possible) and roll the dice with him? I think at this point I'd take the last option. Face it, we're not getting high picks for Pep at this point and Jake - while a great leader and the best QB the Panthers have had - is not as good as Cutler and getting older quickly.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 15, 2009 11:11:29 PM

Cutler is arrogant, but so are most NFL QBs. The truth is, he doesn't mind saying exactly what he thinks. The kid is dang good and has every right to be insulted. And it is stupid to say he should have shut his mouth and taken the BS he was being given. It won't happen, but we would be lucky to have him. Jake is a below average QB (please, just look at the numbers). Cutler is already better than him. And will only improve.

Posted by: JC | Mar 15, 2009 11:21:23 PM

All of these trade Peppers for Cutler trade ideas make no sense. Would you trade away your franchise QB just to get Peppers and go with Chris Simms as your starting QB instead? If you say yes then you are lying.Do you guys think Denver is stupid? If you're going to propose a trade make sure it makes sense for both sides for crying out loud.

Posted by: gengizk | Mar 15, 2009 11:49:46 PM

Glad to see that some Cats fans are actually standing up for Jake now. Not sure if that is a product of all the bandwagon fans going away or people realizing how great we have it.
Heres to 3 or 4 more years of Jake leading our team.
GET 'EM JAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SouthFloridaPanthersFanClub | Mar 16, 2009 12:13:24 AM

All Jake Delhomme has done since he has been a Panther is win plus provide outstanding leadership on and off the field. He makes us a better team and if anyone doubts that......think back to the season he was out. Thanks Jake!!!

Posted by: Greg L | Mar 16, 2009 12:22:44 AM

umm Jake did not win 12 games, I'm not even sure if there were more than 2 games that jake can say he won. The defense kept us in most games and then the running game took it from there, jakes job was to hand the ball off and not turn it over, if thats what you want in a qb then Jake did a hell of a job until the playoffs. As for me, I would like a qb that can throw to multiple targets in route and not just toss it up and pray to god 89 comes down with it.

Posted by: chknwing | Mar 16, 2009 12:29:27 AM

Cutler is a Pro Bowl QB and should be upset with all the circus business going on in Denver with the questionable Mike Shannahan firing and then new coach McDaniels involved in talks to obtain Cassel by trading Cutler - I can't blame the man for being upset. But the question is would it be better for him here in Carolina? Most definitely a YES! Mistake Jake is done, his best years gone, this past years playoff game proved that. Trade Peppers for Cutler, that's the most logical decision in my opinion. Especially considering the salary cap hit we're taking this season. Peppers wants out, and in my opinion due to coach Fox. So essentially two disgruntled players who want out of their organizations, sounds like a no-brainer to me - trade for Cutler!

Posted by: C. | Mar 16, 2009 12:47:52 AM

3 or 4 more years of Jake! Please tell me you are kidding.

I agree with Ben, in that the Panthers were as good as they were last year in spite of Jake.

If Steve Smith had a better QB he would be setting records for WRs.

I love Jake as a person and he is an above average QB, but I want a Super Bowl Victory.

Jake is past his prime, had probably the worst playoff performance of any QB in history, and at his age is not going to get any better.

If I'm the GM and I knew for sure Peppers was not going to play for us anymore, I'd trade Delhomme hopefully for Peppers replacement or draft picks.

After that I would do a sign and trade deal involving Peppers and Cutler.

Cutler may be young and emotionally immature on a personal level right now, as I don't beleive he is handling his situation with much class;
however, on the flip side, this shows the guy has a lot of passion about football and is very confident in his ability to perform and compete with the best QBs not only of today, but throughout the history of the league.

I would welcome someone of his potential and with that kind of determination and drive to get me the Lombardi Trophy.

Perhaps if he had a better agent, he would have been instructed better on how to deal with this situation.

In the NFL a team doesn't get many opportunities to get a franchise QB, so in my opinion the Panthers should take advantage of this opportunity before it passes them by.

The Broncos could draft Sanchez in the 1st round or sign a free agent QB to replace Cutler after trading for Peppers, so I think the trade makes sense for both clubs.

Denver has a QB that doesn't want to play for them and Carolina has a DE / OLB that doesn't want to play for them. Both are pro-bowl players, so it's an easy deal to get done.

Posted by: chris | Mar 16, 2009 1:11:15 AM

personally i like a player who will go out and say hes the best. if u dont think you are the best or can be the best why play the game. Jay goes out there thinking i am better then all of these guys i dont want ppl to compare me to brady. im gonna be better than him. it would be a smart move for us get rid of peps 16 mill problem. and delhomme is worth 11 mill next year, and cutler only counts for about 8. i would be all for it but no matter what happens i will always put on my jersey and root for our cardiac cats..... GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: George Lopez | Mar 16, 2009 2:48:53 AM

Jake has a year or two left. Football is a business and in businesses you take risks. Jay Cutler is younger and if Jerry can talk to him then we can make a deal. You guys need to look at the bright side. We may be able to get Jay Cutler and a 2nd round pick. Panther fans have to think positive and think for the future.

Posted by: Zach | Mar 16, 2009 2:50:58 AM

Chris... HOW are the Broncos going to draft Mark Sanchez, QB, USC..(Denver has the 12th pick) Sanchez, will be gone in the 1st 10 picks.. Denver is not going to trade their Franchise QB for Peppers..Not happening, period.. that goes for all the other haters on here.. We went 12-4 despite all you guys calling for Coach Fox's head last year.. Calling him and Hurney the dumbest football people for drafting a broken down RB out of Oregon, and building up the Off Line,with reject FA's, and drafting a over-rated Off lineman... GUESS WHAT, they won the division.. As far as Jake throwing the Ball high to Steve Smith, that is what Smith wants him to do,, samething Kurt Warner does for Larry Fitzgerald,, you throw the ball high, so only your receiver can get the ball.. chill with all the comments that are against Jake, go find another team.. and then watch Jake throw for TD's and make the Pro-Bowl, this year..

Posted by: Catsnmbr1Fan | Mar 16, 2009 3:18:21 AM

Pro-bowls do not mean a thing. We want Super bowls! We have a chance at a Pro Bowler now we need to take that chance. We can trade pep or someone else or draft picks for cutler. I am NOT against Jake. Jake is a great guy and quarterback but a opportunity for a groomed quarter that wants a new team only comes along once in a blue moon. Risks are a part of Football. I say go for it.

Posted by: Zach | Mar 16, 2009 3:34:26 AM

Plz anybody but Jake the Fake. Is Chris Leak available

Posted by: Quentin | Mar 16, 2009 3:34:28 AM

Why do we want Jay Cutler?

Are you joking? He's got a rocket arm, and PS it is stronger than Elways, he's smart as heck and he's only 25 years old!! Do you know how hard it is to find a quality QB?! especially that young. Kiper said Vince Young and Leinart were better than Cutler YEAH RIGHT!!!

I like Delhomme also, but if we can get Cutler we need to do it NOW. Everyone calling him a baby don't even know what they're talking about. The Cutler-Elway arm thing was overblown anyway. Seriously, who cares if he said his arm was stronger. He was JOKING. YOU are a crybaby if you think thats a big deal. Haha I mean come on!

Posted by: Gamble20 | Mar 16, 2009 4:39:53 AM

Every GM in the league talks about how great Cutler is. The only people who gripe about him are in the media or read something from the media. And naturally his style can rub people the wrong way, but give me a break. Its not T.O.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Mar 16, 2009 4:41:57 AM

and one more thing, maybe Charles the reason why we want Cutler is because it would actually give us an exciting dynamic QB. Look at the Peyton Mannings, the Bradys, even the McNabbs they are all dynamic players that make every season exciting just thinking about the potential that he leads you to another championship, that YOU're team could have the next Elway or Montana.

I'd much rather be excited about Cutler than have to hope that Delhomme plays well enough. I like Delhomme, I do. Unlike most of these morons. But Cutler would actually give me something to be really, really excited about. This franchise NEEDS that. It has Steve Smith, maybe D-Will, but if we could get a franchise face like Cutler it would change everything.

Posted by: Gamble20 | Mar 16, 2009 4:45:04 AM

I don't think this is a Cutler thing, but a Jake thing. I think real football and Panther fans know that Jake is old and way past, not only his prime, but he is also way past Farve prime when Farve was at his worst. People want change and are willing to take a chance on a guy, any guy, as long as its not Jake. I thought that when we signed Jake, that we just signed ourselves to many loses, and I was right. For those who say HE took us to the superbowl, that is so much B.S. that you can smell it in England. The reason we won when we did was because we used to have a great defense that would put pressure on QB, not giving the recevivers time to get open, and not rush only 3 guys. When Delrio left, so did the power and aggressive D that won those games. Look at the 85 bears. Are you going to tell me that they won because of Jim McMahon. No way, the won because the Defense would bring 7,8, or 9 guys at the QB, and JIM McMahon did NOT LOSE games for them. Jake loses us more games then he wins. Yea they let up a few big plays, but it did not matter because Jim, unlike BIG MISTAKE JAKE, knew how to win! More importment he knew HOW NOT TO LOSE! Lets face it people, even if Elway, Farve, Montana, Young, Unitis......,were in Jake position they would be gone. At this point, we dont have the picks OR the time to draft a rookie and have him ready to play by the time Jake can't play anymore(not that he could ever play). OH that has already happend. We have had teams that should have gone deeper in the playoffs, and should own our division! Thats not gonna happen w/ Jake. So, w/ limited options, its time to go to a vet. Heck, Jeff Garcia is older than Jake and better. We need to get a 4th or 5th year qb. So to all you Jake lovers, its time for you to go to the football 101 class the clubs do for females who don't know the game, because if you think Jake is the answer, you are wrong. Don't try to use last year as proof we cant win w/o him. That year we had several major players on IR, this year we never had more that 3 at one time. What we need to do is stop letting our backups(Hangartner, Bridges...) get away from us again. That was what let us to our last downfall. Remember Jeff Lewis, the trade from Denver, he is the same type of QB Jake is, BAD! I would take Leftwich, Losman, Orton (still unsigned), Garcia, C.Batch, P.
Ramsey, Chris Simms, Joey Harrington before I would play Jake. Now you may think, "those guys are bad or not good enough for us". You are right, but it would still be an UPGRADE. Oh, my dead Grandma says she can play if we can't find anyone else. Lets sign her. Time for a change. There was a reason Jake was Warners backup in Europe! I would even take back Weinke. Last point, I don't think this is a Cutler thing, but a Jake thing. I think real football and Panther fans know that Jake is old and way past, not only his prime, but he is also way past Farve prime when Farve was at his worst. People want change and are willing to take a chance on a guy, any guy, as long as its not Jake. I thought that when we signed Jake, that we just signed ourselves to many loses. For those who say HE took us to the superbowl is so much B.S. that you can smell it in England. The reason we won when we did was because we used to have a great defense that would put pressure on QB, and not give the recevivers time to get open, and not rush only 3 guys. When Delrio left, so did the power and aggressive D that won those games. Look at the 85 bears. Are you going to tell me that they won because of Jim McMahon. No way, the won because the Defense would bring 7,8, or 9 guys at the QB, and JIM McMahon did NOT LOSE games for us. Jake loses us more games then he wins. Yea they let up a few big plays, but it did not matter because Jim, unlike BIG MISTAKE JAKE, he knew how to win, but more importment he knew HOW NOT TO LOSE! Lets face it people, even if Elway, Farve, Montana, Young, Unitis......,were in Jake position they would be gone. At this point, we dont have the picks OR the time to draft a rookie and have him ready to play by the time Jake can't play anymore, OH that has already happend. We have had teams that should have gone deeper in the playoffs, and should own our division! Thats not gonna happen w/ Jake. So, w/ limited options, its time to go to a vet. Heck, Jeff Garcia is older than Jake and better. We need to get a 4th or 5th year qb. So to all you Jake lovers, its time for you to go to the football 101 class the clubs do for females who don't know the game, because if you think Jake is the answer, you are wrong. Don't try to use last year as proof we cant win w/o him. That year we had several major players on IR, this year we never had more that 3 at one time. What we need to do is stop letting our backups get away from us again. That was what let us to our last downfall. Remember Jeff Lewis, the trade from Denver, he is the same type of QB Jake is, BAD! I would take Leftwich, Losman, Orton (still unsigned), Garcia, C.Batch, P.
Ramsey, Chris Simms, Joey Harrington. Now you may think, "those guys are bad or not good enough for us". You are right, but it would still be an UPGRADE. Oh, my dead Grandma say she can play if we can't find anyone else. Lets sign I don't think this is a Cutler thing, but a Jake thing. I think real football and Panther fans know that Jake is old and way past, not only his prime, but he is also way past Farve prime when Farve was at his worst. People want change and are willing to take a chance on a guy, any guy, as long as its not Jake. I thought that when we signed Jake, that we just signed ourselves to many loses. For those who say HE took us to the superbowl is so much B.S. that you can smell it in England. The reason we won when we did was because we used to have a great defense that would put pressure on QB, and not give the recevivers time to get open, and not rush only 3 guys. When Delrio left, so did the power and aggressive D that won those games. Look at the 85 bears. Are you going to tell me that they won because of Jim McMahon. No way, the won because the Defense would bring 7,8, or 9 guys at the QB, and JIM McMahon did NOT LOSE games for us. Jake loses us more games then he wins. Yea they let up a few big plays, but it did not matter because Jim, unlike BIG MISTAKE JAKE, he knew how to win, but more importment he knew HOW NOT TO LOSE! Lets face it people, even if Elway, Farve, Montana, Young, Unitis......,were in Jake position they would be gone. At this point, we dont have the picks OR the time to draft a rookie and have him ready to play by the time Jake can't play anymore, OH that has already happend. We have had teams that should have gone deeper in the playoffs, and should own our division! Thats not gonna happen w/ Jake. So, w/ limited options, its time to go to a vet. Heck, Jeff Garcia is older than Jake and better. We need to get a 4th or 5th year qb. So to all you Jake lovers, its time for you to go to the football 101 class the clubs do for females who don't know the game, because if you think Jake is the answer, you are wrong. Don't try to use last year as proof we cant win w/o him. That year we had several major players on IR, this year we never had more that 3 at one time. What we need to do is stop letting our backups get away from us again. That was what let us to our last downfall. Remember Jeff Lewis, the trade from Denver, he is the same type of QB Jake is, BAD! I would take Leftwich, Losman, Orton (still unsigned), Garcia, C.Batch, P.
Ramsey, Chris Simms, Joey Harrington. Now you may think, "those guys are bad or not good enough for us". You are right, but it would still be an UPGRADE. Oh, my dead Grandma say she can play if we can't find anyone else. Lets sign her. I don't think this is a Cutler thing, but a Jake thing. I think real football and Panther fans know that Jake is old and way past, not only his prime, but he is also way past Farve prime when Farve was at his worst. People want change and are willing to take a chance on a guy, any guy, as long as its not Jake. I thought that when we signed Jake, that we just signed ourselves to many loses. For those who say HE took us to the superbowl is so much B.S. that you can smell it in England. The reason we won when we did was because we used to have a great defense that would put pressure on QB, and not give the recevivers time to get open, and not rush only 3 guys. When Delrio left, so did the power and aggressive D that won those games. Look at the 85 bears. Are you going to tell me that they won because of Jim McMahon. No way, the won because the Defense would bring 7,8, or 9 guys at the QB, and JIM McMahon did NOT LOSE games for us. Jake loses us more games then he wins. Yea they let up a few big plays, but it did not matter because Jim, unlike BIG MISTAKE JAKE, he knew how to win, but more importment he knew HOW NOT TO LOSE! Lets face it people, even if Elway, Farve, Montana, Young, Unitis......,were in Jake position they would be gone. At this point, we dont have the picks OR the time to draft a rookie and have him ready to play by the time Jake can't play anymore, OH that has already happend. We have had teams that should have gone deeper in the playoffs, and should own our division! Thats not gonna happen w/ Jake. So, w/ limited options, its time to go to a vet. Heck, Jeff Garcia is older than Jake and better. We need to get a 4th or 5th year qb. So to all you Jake lovers, its time for you to go to the football 101 class the clubs do for females who don't know the game, because if you think Jake is the answer, you are wrong. Don't try to use last year as proof we cant win w/o him. That year we had several major players on IR, this year we never had more that 3 at one time. What we need to do is stop letting our backups get away from us again. That was what let us to our last downfall. Remember Jeff Lewis, the trade from Denver, he is the same type of QB Jake is, BAD! I would take Leftwich, Losman, Orton (still unsigned), Garcia, C.Batch, P.
Ramsey, Chris Simms, Joey Harrington. Now you may think, "those guys are bad or not good enough for us". You are right, but it would still be an UPGRADE. Oh, my dead Grandma say she can play if we can't find anyone else. Lets sign her. Steve Beuerlein was not great, but he was a winner, never threw a kid fit on the sidelines, never tried to tell the ref's they were wrong, never looking at all his receivers, and never had 6 turnovers in a playoff game! Please Jerry, get us a QB that can play. I am willing to give it a try! Don Barbeau Sec 202 row 11. Come see me if you think I am wrong. I am there every game, so I am not the fan that just listens to what others say for their info, and I just don't read about it. I AM ALWAYS THERE SEEING THE BIG MISTAKE JAKE BLOW AT LEAST 15 PASSES TO RECEIVER WHO WERE OPEN AND JAKE NEVER EVEN SAW THEM. He is to busy looking for Smith because he knows that Smith is only one who can adust to so many bad passes! "and that is the rest of the story"!

Posted by: Don Barbeau | Mar 16, 2009 5:14:05 AM