« Fiammetta: Family man | Main | In the fifth round: It's Smokey's great-nephew »

April 26, 2009

Everette Brown on Eastern N.C. BBQ

Panthers second-round pick Everette Brown grew up in Wilson County, right in the heart of Eastern N.C. Bar-B-Q country.

Having attended East Carolina University "back in the day," I asked Brown earlier today to identify his favorite BBQ restaurant.

"Parker's," he said quickly. "In Greenville."

I wanted to give him a high-five! Many times, I've stopped by Parker's to order their "family style" -- all the BBQ, chicken, bread sticks, hush puppies, veggies, brunswick stew, etc., you can eat.

If Brown can rush the passer as well as he can pick his BBQ, the Panthers will be happy with the pick.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on April 26, 2009 at 02:54 PM | Permalink

Comments

Great, now he'll get the name Barbeque Brown, or something, lol.

Posted by: Cameron | Apr 26, 2009 3:00:55 PM

Parker's was literally a mile away from where I lived in Greenville. Hopefully he lays off the BBQ during training camp.

Posted by: PanFan1106 | Apr 26, 2009 3:02:15 PM

what cutting insight.....how about when the hell we deal Peppers, and not drivel about another DL bust from Criminole Nation.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 26, 2009 3:05:04 PM

We got any picks left ?

Posted by: nasty704 | Apr 26, 2009 3:11:38 PM

Way to stay positive, Phil! :-)

Posted by: NSpicer | Apr 26, 2009 3:14:54 PM

There are some of these posts that are way over the line, and by reading some of them it's obvious that Carolina is most definitely in the Deep South. Comments like Peppers being gay, Hurney and Fox don't know what they're doing, yada yada yada. Enough with the small-minded bigoted comments already.

Fox and Hurney made a move yesterday that protects this franchise this season and in seasons to come. They're managing a tough cap situation by restructuring deals. Think about this - Jake's new deal will NOT go the full contract length, and you guys know it saved $2 million of cap space.

They found a way to get a highly rated draft pick that meets an immediate need by trading next year's number 1. That worked pretty well last year, too. Why pay big money for a first rounder when you can get the talent in round two a year early? Makes PERFECT sense to me...and got a fourth out of it to boot. Plus, if you take Eric Shelton out of the mix, and this braintrust has hit on good football players in the first 2 round year in and year out.

O-Lineman will come in rounds 5-7, which is where you find role-players, projects, and subs anyway. The FB is a need, even though Hoover is Superman right now. The RB is a potential slot receiver and return man. Those are needs as well. What they have done is brilliant, and they're going to save a ton of cash in the mean time.

I'd really like to know what it would take for guys posting all of this I'm selling my PSL cheap and Peppers is gay and Fox and Hurney are stupid crap to actually be happy. This isn't Madden - it's the NFL. You can't sit in your Mom's basement in your underwear and just criticize everything that doesn't go your way.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 26, 2009 3:19:57 PM

Nice post Scott. Most of these guys know nothing about football. I think its been a solid draft. And if anyone wants to sell their PSL's cheap, I'm all ears.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 26, 2009 3:24:48 PM

Scott, that was possibly one of the best posts I've read on this website and I've been a patron of this website for a long time. I agree with everything you've said and I wish some of fans would be a bit more logical/analytical as you were in your post. Thanks!

Posted by: Chill Out People | Apr 26, 2009 3:26:48 PM

yea, but as good as Parker's is, Wiber's in Goldsboro tops it.

Posted by: Whalercane | Apr 26, 2009 3:31:03 PM

"how about when the hell we deal Peppers, and not drivel about another DL bust from Criminole Nation."

The Panthers cannot deal Peppers until he signs his tender offer. The ball is in Peppers court, not the Panthers. So noboy will write anything about "when we deal Peppers" for the forseeable future. What an idiot.

I spent two years at ECU and ate my share of Parkers BBQ. I'll take Gary's in China Grove over anything in eastern NC.

Posted by: DBM LA | Apr 26, 2009 3:38:34 PM

What about B's Barbeque in W Greenville? Most in G-Vegas will say B's.

Posted by: Will Parker | Apr 26, 2009 3:44:51 PM

Scott -

"There are some of these posts that are way over the line, and by reading some of them it's obvious that Carolina is most definitely in the Deep South."

So Deep South = small minded bigot? You will find such comments posted by fans for every team, in every market, in every sport. To equate them with the South is very ignorant. Ironic that you were trying to do away with posters going into ad-hominen attacks. Hope it made you feel superior.

Which is a shame, as you do have some solid insight. But I have to say to compare trading a future first-round pick to acquire the #19 overall and arguably second best O-lineman to doing the same for the #43 overall for a second-tier DE talent that is under-sized and projected by many scouts to be better suited as OLB in a 3-4 defense is silly.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 26, 2009 3:51:15 PM

I'm a Piedmont native but BBQ from out east is definitely the best. Parker's in Greenville is not bad. The best BBQ is not at the restaurants. Find an out east native having a pig-pickin in their backyard or tailgating in Greenville.

Posted by: Mark | Apr 26, 2009 4:03:25 PM

Phil is a Tool!

Posted by: PantherFan | Apr 26, 2009 4:05:27 PM

Peppers IS gay. There's nothing about his location that will change that.

Posted by: Somebody who knows | Apr 26, 2009 4:07:27 PM

Good to hear that Everette has some taste when it comes to REAL vinegar-based barbecue. How unfortunate that the masses out here in the Charlotte area favor that tomato-based slop.

Posted by: mikbarrett | Apr 26, 2009 4:22:16 PM

Preach it Scott !!!!!!

Posted by: nasty704 | Apr 26, 2009 4:31:23 PM

Oh how great the barbecue was in Greenville. I've learned to appreciate great BBQ during my tenure at ECU. I've always heard so much about B's, but never actually made the trip there (I mean, if you don't go early enough, your not getting anything). Parkers is a great spot, and I also lived less than a mile away. But enough with BBQ and onto the Brown pick.

I was actually impressed with the pick. Many mocks had him in the top 15, and he would have went higher if it wasn't for the Chiefs. Hurney and Co. actually had a highly regarded player fall in their area and they took a very calculated chance. With Peppers leaving after the 09 season, there will be a very high chance the Panthers can get back into the first round. If Brown works out, Peppers replacement would have been found and that means more picks for us next year. The Panthers have impressed me with the last 2 drafts, and with calculated risk like the one used last night, the Panthers will be challenging for the title in the near future.

Posted by: Craig Craig | Apr 26, 2009 4:48:31 PM

1. Charlotte isn't in the "Deep South". North Carolina is a mid-South, mid-Atlantic state. Go spend a little time in Alabama or Mississippi and get back to me on what it means to be "Deep South".

2. Lexington style BBQ is not "tomato based". It is a vinegar based sauce with a touch of tomato. You eastern NC BBQ fans make it sound like they are putting flavored ketchup on the pork and that isn't just the case. Lexington sauce isn't KC Masterpiece, it's a runny venegar sauce witha smidge of tomato. The bigger difference in east vs west is whole hog vs pork shoulder. Too much is made of the sauce.

Posted by: DBM LA | Apr 26, 2009 4:51:12 PM

3. What does Peppers sexuality have to do with anything? I don't care who he sleeps with, I care how he plays football.

Posted by: DBM LA | Apr 26, 2009 4:51:54 PM

PARKERS BBQ??? please...
Everyone in greenville knows it is not even in the top 3
1 B'S BBQ
2 Uncle Yammy's Rib shack
3 boss hoggs

But good value pickup for DE

Posted by: ERNIE | Apr 26, 2009 5:39:18 PM

"But I have to say to compare trading a future first-round pick to acquire the #19 overall and arguably second best O-lineman to doing the same for the #43 overall for a second-tier DE talent that is under-sized and projected by many scouts to be better suited as OLB in a 3-4 defense is silly."

Cant compare the two. The Panthers also gave up their second and a third last year to move up for Otah. This year, they just gave up next years pick. It is very risky, especially looking at the schedule, but hopefully it pays off.

This trade is very similar to when the Colts traded a future first to get Tony Ugoh in the second round a couple of years ago.

Posted by: pronger | Apr 26, 2009 6:12:27 PM

B's and Parkers were good choices. When I lived in Tarboro, I would make the 15 minute ride to Greenville to get their BBQ.

I've heard good things about him for back home. He had the same buzz that JP had in high school. Good character and family.

Posted by: Jones | Apr 26, 2009 7:28:27 PM

Charlotte is the Deep South?

BBQ in China Grove is better than Parker's?

What is happening to our fair republic? Mr. Hand thinks you're all on dope.

Posted by: BigMikey | Apr 26, 2009 7:52:04 PM

GUESS WHO IAM???? I TRADED A FIRST ROUND PICK FOR A SECOND. I RESIGNED A TERRIBLE QB TO FIVE YEARS WHO IS 34.

Posted by: g8panther96 | Apr 26, 2009 8:22:30 PM