« Panthers re-sign Anderson, Salley | Main | Panthers extend Delhomme »

April 23, 2009

Losman pursuit highly unlikely

There's an internet report that the Panthers are interested in Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman. We're checking it out, but there appears to be nothing to it.

Carolina is committed to Jake Delhomme as their starting quarterback. General manager Marty Hurney told the Observer this week that Delhomme is "perfect" for the Panthers and that the team has "the utmost confidence" in him.

Hurney also said at the time that the Panthers are very happy with their backup situation. Veteran Josh McCown is the No. 2 QB, with Matt Moore No. 3.

Why is Carolina being associated with Losman? Denver's interest in him appears legitimate. Perhaps someone wants to give the Broncos incentive to move more quickly. What better way to do that than to create the appearance of competition?

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on April 23, 2009 at 11:03 AM | Permalink

Comments

i hope this is just a rumor

Posted by: Derrick | Apr 23, 2009 11:39:07 AM

Wow JP Losman? This is officially the worst offseason ever. What's next, Jeff George rumors? Ryan Leaf is available I hear.

Posted by: ChunkyLover519 | Apr 23, 2009 11:41:51 AM

I wonder if the Panthers have considered drafting W.V. QB- Pat White- His abilities and desire to be a Q.B. coupled with the likeliness that he will still be around when the Panther's finally draft-- make for an exciting opportunity to groom a future replacement for Delhomme.

Posted by: Panther fan | Apr 23, 2009 11:42:27 AM

please no

Posted by: panthers24 | Apr 23, 2009 11:43:25 AM

If this rumor has any factual basis at all I will shoot myself. Losman has ZERO value! He is, and has always been a no talent a** clown. Gging from Jake to Losman would be the factual equivalent of going from Smitty to Lee Evans.

Posted by: SouthFloridaPanthersFanCLub | Apr 23, 2009 11:46:05 AM

I feel bad for Losman. He has all the physical tools to be a great QB, but he has nothing going on upstairs.

Posted by: roddy | Apr 23, 2009 12:12:38 PM

This wouldnt help the Panthers at all- which probably means that Fox and Hurney are serious about doing it.

Posted by: timmytom | Apr 23, 2009 12:14:13 PM

J.P. Losman is not good at all. He single-handedly lost a game against the Jets last season for the Bills. If the Panthers signed him, which they will never do, I wouldn't know how to respond to such a stupid move. The best option for a quarterback of the future is to draft Pat White from West Virginia. He also could possibly play WR, Kick Returner, Quarterback in a Wild-Cat Offense.

Posted by: RP McMurphy | Apr 23, 2009 12:27:01 PM

I swear you Hurney and Fox bashers just won't learn. Those two, with the help of our scouting department, have had some amazing drafts, Jon Beason, Ryan Khalil, Jeff Otah, Johnathan Stewart, Deangelo Williams, Jordan Gross, just to name a few...they get it done. So, "timmytom", how could you say John & Marty are doing things to not help the team? Makes no sense to me why you would say that, show some respect.

Posted by: Ronnie | Apr 23, 2009 12:27:57 PM

Ronnie, I agree with you. I just wish Charlie Chandler would shut it and quit pretending to know all of the inner workings of the Panthers organization. He is just as uninformed let the rest of us!

Posted by: Big Kev | Apr 23, 2009 1:19:33 PM

RP MCMurphy, if your happy with your team being 7-9 every other season then go right on in LaLA land thinking Fox/Hurney are wonderful and can do no wrong.

Posted by: timmytom | Apr 23, 2009 1:23:51 PM

So, Jake Delhomme is "perfect" for the Panthers. I guess that Fox/Hurn is happy with a QB who throws passes about two feet above a triple covered receiver's head.

Please have some common sense and draft Pat White....a QB with actual athletic talent and a strong arm.

Posted by: CJ | Apr 23, 2009 1:24:47 PM

Rp McMurphy, iF your happy with your team being 7-9 every other year so be it. Go on living in LA LA Land thinking Fox/hurney are wonderful and can do no wrong

Posted by: timmytom | Apr 23, 2009 1:29:06 PM

"Gging from Jake to Losman would be the factual equivalent of going from Smitty to Lee Evans."

Just wait until Lee lights up the Panthers come October. Lee has put up solid numbers while dealing with Losman and no real 2nd receiver for most of his career. Give him a seasoned Trent Edwards and T.O. on the other side and let's see what happens.

Posted by: Bills Fan | Apr 23, 2009 1:30:43 PM

OH HELL TO THE NAAAAWWW!!!! He's Jake Jr.

Posted by: blackspeak,DC,USA | Apr 23, 2009 1:39:21 PM

Matt Moore is a much better qb than Losman, this would be a pitful attempt to say we are acquiring talent.

Posted by: LucasGotBurnt | Apr 23, 2009 1:48:29 PM

I have to chuckle and shake my head at the worshippers of Fox and Hurney. If anyone dare speak negatively about those two they boo hoo and lamely scold those of us that speak our minds. Keep sipping that Kool Aid and practicing John & Marty's brand of blind loyalty. Keep reciting "Jake is the Answer! Jake is the Answer!" BTW when you run out of Kool Aid... don't panic. Fox and Hurney will be around to pour you another glass of the same old BS. *lol*

Posted by: emgeedubyah | Apr 23, 2009 2:03:49 PM

Not surprising since so many people from Buffalo live here already.

Posted by: PantherDave | Apr 23, 2009 2:07:59 PM

If the Panthers hold own the Peppers and allow the Giants to draft Hakeem Nicks. Then I will leave the Panthers as a fan and turn my loyality to the Pittsburg Steelers. I have rode with the Cats since day one, but if that unfolds then it would be clear to me that Panthers are not really interested in winning. Also, why would you allow a player to commit six turnovers in championship game and not address the position in the offseason.

Posted by: Maurice Ford | Apr 23, 2009 2:09:08 PM

Maurice Ford, just go ahead and jump off the bandwagon and join on some place else. We don't need you.

Posted by: know-it-all | Apr 23, 2009 2:17:23 PM

And while I am at it. To the writers of this column. We can go to the various sports and NFL Draft sites and read the "Rumors and Nonsense" for our ownselves! But I must admit if true, Fox & Hurney showing interest in Losman wouldn't surprise me as of late. But as far as dredging up this kinda BS to stir the pot and poison an already pissed off Panther Fanbase is ridiculous. They pay you all to spread rumors? Makes me wanna turn my TV off the draft this weekend. Do you jobs and report facts not nonsense and rumors. Geeeez.

Posted by: emgeedubyah | Apr 23, 2009 2:19:14 PM

Please no. Not this desperate. Let's give Matt Moore a chnace. He has all the skills and size.

Posted by: par404 | Apr 23, 2009 2:27:49 PM

I've been a Losman fan since Tulane. Give the guy a fair shot! He's also a great guy and does a lot for the community.

Go Baaaaston.

Posted by: Russ Williamson | Apr 23, 2009 2:33:35 PM

Now this sounds like a typical Panthers kind of move - Expect it within days!

"General manager Marty Hurney told the Observer this week that Delhomme is "perfect" for the Panthers."

Yeah, and this sounds typical as well! It is what it is ... the same old song and dance!

Posted by: C. | Apr 23, 2009 2:34:32 PM

ESPN is reporting that the Panther just signed a 42 million dollar contarct extension for Jake

Posted by: docnolz | Apr 23, 2009 2:52:10 PM