« Losman pursuit highly unlikely | Main | Draft off to flying start »

April 23, 2009

Panthers extend Delhomme

The Panthers announced they have agreed to extend the contract of quarterback Jake Delhomme, which secures their long-term commitment to him at the all-important position and also provides some salary-cap relief. Delhomme was in the final year of his contract and was scheduled to count more than $11 million against the cap, but now has a new five-year deal that agent Rick Smith said is worth $42.5 million with $20 million in guarantees. Smith said the contract's structure was "extremely complicated" but will save the Panthers at least a couple million in 2009 cap space.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on April 23, 2009 at 02:46 PM | Permalink

Comments

Bad news for Delhomme haters

Posted by: Goober | Apr 23, 2009 3:03:12 PM

very nice! now watch the haters come forth:

Posted by: nice | Apr 23, 2009 3:03:22 PM

why is that, except for a few locals, that every expert from Mel to Mort thinks that if it weren't for smitty coming back to catch Jakes ducks he would have been out of the league 5+ years ago. Yet half a Charlotte and Fox and Hurney stand behind him...someone is missing something...Jake's got 20 mil guaranteed now...beam me up!

Posted by: let's think | Apr 23, 2009 3:05:33 PM

Awesome

Posted by: Bob | Apr 23, 2009 3:06:01 PM

Delhomme won't see the third year of this deal. Had to do it as we need the cap room and his $11million hit this year was killing us.

Posted by: jim | Apr 23, 2009 3:06:35 PM

5 years? I would want to see the the breakdown of money - hopefully more like three years. He could be Joe Montana, Brett Farve, Peyton Manning and Brady rolled into one, and I would still be hesitant to give someone that old a 5 year deal.

Posted by: Nathan | Apr 23, 2009 3:07:30 PM

I always love to read all these people who think they know more about football than John Fox and the rest of the Panthers do.

Posted by: docnolz | Apr 23, 2009 3:09:26 PM

5 years? Delhomme doesnt have 5 good quarters in him. He would have trouble starting for West Charlotte.

This is easily the worst move the Panthers have ever made.

Congrats on 5 years of mediocrity Charlotte!

Posted by: LOL@panthers | Apr 23, 2009 3:12:25 PM

"why is that, except for a few locals, that every expert from Mel to Mort thinks that if it weren't for smitty coming back to catch Jakes ducks he would have been out of the league 5+ years ago."

I completely agree. Also Peyton Manning would be out of the league if he didn't have Reggie Wayne bailing him out, and Kurt Warner wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs if he wasn't getting bailed out by Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, and more recently Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

God I love you ignorant Jake haters, its so funny how little you understand about the game of football.

Posted by: J | Apr 23, 2009 3:14:43 PM

Jake is by far our best option at QB to win for the next few years. If he comes out of the gates hot next season and has 12 TD's, 3 INT's through 4 games and we sit at 3-1, all of the misery of our playoff loss to the Cards' will be ancient history. It makes me so happy to know that the Jake-haters have a few more years to be miserable.

Posted by: bigdave7467 | Apr 23, 2009 3:15:43 PM

I'll tell you who it was, it's that d*mn Sasquatch.

Posted by: grader | Apr 23, 2009 3:16:20 PM

It would be nice to see us get to another Super Bowl before Steve Smith gets too old- now it will never happen. Great move Fox/Hurney/ Richardsons- we'll be 7-9 yet again in '09

Posted by: timmytom | Apr 23, 2009 3:16:45 PM

Panthers to regular Joes in the tech department and in the front office making about $50,000 a year: "YOU'RE FIRED!"

Panthers to the quarterback with the worst performance in playoff history: "Heckuva Jake! Here's another $40 million!"

Posted by: jonathan | Apr 23, 2009 3:17:41 PM

hahahahaha....nice one Panthers. Maybe Delhomme can step up once again, and throw another 5 INT's in the playoffs....if you even make it.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 23, 2009 3:22:10 PM

What a dumb organization! 20 mil for a 34yr QB who throws off his back foot!

The Falcons will runaway with the division for sure!(very smart GM)

Posted by: debo | Apr 23, 2009 3:26:36 PM

I remember when Steve Smith kept bailing out David Carr and when we went 12-4 2 years ago when Jake was out.

I also like how Jake started last season 0-2 when Steve Smith was suspended for 2 games.

Oh wait, neither of those things happened.

Posted by: J | Apr 23, 2009 3:26:40 PM

should have traded him and Peppers to Denver to get Cutler. Has been an average QB since the Super Bowl

Posted by: kbk | Apr 23, 2009 3:28:06 PM

Now give JAKE a tight end !!!!

Posted by: Scott | Apr 23, 2009 3:28:35 PM

I like the move. Now we have the cap room to sign Jeff George.

Posted by: ChunkyLover519 | Apr 23, 2009 3:28:53 PM

Yeah, lets trade a QB who has actually made the playoffs and won games, for a whiny cry baby QB with a career record below .500. Oh and lets throw in one of the top defensive players in the NFL. Clearly offense is our biggest need, despite being a top 5 scoring offense in the NFL last year. Defensively we're fine. Who cares that we allowed 30+ points in 7 of our last 9 games. Lets get a new quarterback! Woo hoo I just starting watching football 1 year ago I know everything!

Posted by: J | Apr 23, 2009 3:31:52 PM

I like the move. Now we can sign Ryan Leaf and groom him to be the replacement. He's due for greatness.

Posted by: ChunkyLover519 | Apr 23, 2009 3:32:12 PM

panthers need a GOD like JP Losman. Hes a king in buffalo. by the way, why arent we talking about a real mans sport like armwrestling??

Posted by: eric zap | Apr 23, 2009 3:34:24 PM

I'm just as old as they are and have studied the game enough to know some obvious screw ups. If your playing a team in the playoffs, and they have TWO all pro, excellent WR's and one is on the sideline in street clothes, you need to double team and jam the other on EACH play he is on the field. If Fox was so smart, why couldnt he have adjusted or over ruled the D-coor on that issue is beyond me. Don't go making Fox and his crew that intelligent, they are not!

Posted by: Bob Smith | Apr 23, 2009 3:38:07 PM

I am so happy to hear this. Jake is on of my fav. Panther players in history. Congrats Jake. And to you Delhomme haters...this shuts you up!!

Posted by: Ronnie | Apr 23, 2009 3:39:32 PM

I can't believe what I am reading.

Posted by: Disappointed | Apr 23, 2009 3:39:55 PM