« Panthers' post-draft press conference | Main | Cadogan fills void of LT backup for Gross »

April 27, 2009

UNC's Tate admits to positive test

Brandon Tate, a former North Carolina receiver/returner drafted this weekend by the New England Patriots, admitted to reporters Sunday that he tested positive for marijuana at February's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

"I know I made a mistake and all that is behind me," said Tate, taken in the third round by the Patriots. "I'm just moving forward and getting ready to play for the Patriots."

Tate said he had worried that the positive test -- which had been reported last week by Foxsports.com -- would hurt his draft status.

"I knew it probably would (impact me)," Tate told the Boston Herald. "But I was still waiting on that call because I knew somebody would give me that chance."

Tate, who missed much of last season with a severe knee injury, also said he didn't know if he'd be ready for the Patriots' mini-camp. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on April 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

Amazing. Are these guys NOT aware that they're about to be drug tested or what?

Posted by: Mike | Apr 27, 2009 12:52:32 PM

stupid is as stupid does, smoke weed before the draft and cost yourself possibly millions of dollars, just to get high..wow..in the moral words of the late Red Foxx from the comedy show Sanford & Son.. YOU BIG DUMMY..LOL

Posted by: teemac | Apr 27, 2009 12:55:02 PM

It's "immortal words" not "moral words" YOU BIG DUMMY.

Posted by: K. Hart | Apr 27, 2009 1:06:49 PM

This has nothing to do with the Panthers. Why is it in here. You guys must get paid by the story whether it is relevant to the Panthers or not. This belongs in Inside the Patriots.

Posted by: Pirate Boy | Apr 27, 2009 1:23:39 PM

So the guy is a world class athlete..and he tests positive for Marajuana....not a Performance Ehancing Drug....so what's the big deal???

Posted by: Joe | Apr 27, 2009 2:33:46 PM

NORML and LEAP...two great organizations! Marijuana is a harmless substance. I suffered from panic attacks and anxiety for years. Doctors prescribed Xanax (which was like a reset button for your day) and it is MUCH worse than marijuana. I now smoke a small bowl in the morning and some in the evening when I return from a hard day at work. If not for marijuana I would be miserable. This IS NOT an excuse to smoke. I regulate my smoking and dosage according to the strain. I wish folks would educate themeselves on this harmless plant.

Posted by: Grace | Apr 27, 2009 3:16:19 PM

Hmm...here's the problem: the use of marijuana is illegal except where it is allowed as part of a prescribed medical treatment plan. Tate, therefore, not only violated the rules of the NFL Substance Abuse Policy, but broke the law. It's hard to defend.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 27, 2009 4:26:46 PM

tru dat, fo sho fo sho...keepen on smokin

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 27, 2009 4:33:34 PM

Oh snap!

Posted by: Revshawn | Apr 27, 2009 6:07:10 PM

I cant think smoking anything, whether it is cigarettes or THC, etc. is going to help someone perform at a higher level.
Not a wise move for someone who is competing for a limited space in the NFL.

Posted by: Ben | Apr 27, 2009 6:08:31 PM

Every single bit of the Observer sports coverage infected with Tar Hole bias.....this crap doesn't belong on a Panther page folks.

Posted by: Phil | Apr 27, 2009 7:11:16 PM

Will someone please pass the doubie.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Apr 27, 2009 7:53:06 PM

he has been smoking the same stuff fox and hurney have

Posted by: g8panther96 | Apr 27, 2009 9:50:32 PM

ok grace thats wat ALL of the drugies say

Posted by: g8panther96 | Apr 27, 2009 9:51:43 PM