« Peppers not expected at minicamp | Main | Saturday Morning Minicamp Notes »

May 01, 2009

Fox expects Peppers at training camp

Franchised defensive end Julius Peppers wasn't at Panthers mini-camp, which began today on the team's practice fields.

That wasn't a surprise, given the fact that Peppers hasn't signed his contract tender yet and isn't required to be here.

But coach John Fox didn't seem too troubled by Peppers' absence and said he anticipates him being at training camp in July.

"I don't think this will keep him from training camp," Fox said. "That's kind of what I expect; that's when our season starts."

And did Fox think Peppers was missing anything important, with a new defensive coordinator (Ron Meeks) in place as the team starts offseason drills?

"No," Fox said.

-- Several players didn't take part in drills Friday, although they were there. Four of them had offseason shoulder surgery -- safety Chris Harris, linebackers Jon Beason and Na'il Diggs and defensive tackle Damione Lewis. Running backs DeAngelo Williams (hamstring) and Jonathan Stewart (ankle) also sat out, as did tight end Dante Rosario, who will have lower back surgery on Monday. Fox said he expected Rosario to be ready for training camp.

-- Rookie running back Mike Goodson left early with an illness.

-- Long snapper Jason Kyle, a free agent, still hasn't signed. There were three players out there auditioning for the job -- Nick Sundberg (an undrafted rookie from California), J.J. Jansen (with Green Bay last season) and Keith Gray (an undrafted rookie from Connecticut). -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on May 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM | Permalink

Comments

I wonder what the deadline is for the Panthers to recind the franchise tag and let Peppers go.

Posted by: Pirate Boy | May 1, 2009 1:10:30 PM

Here is a thought. Would the media just please stop trying to create a story about Julius Peppers when there is nothing to report. Quote for life...."NO NEWS IS NO NEWS!"

Posted by: scoot | May 1, 2009 1:16:09 PM

It doesn't matter they will not do it. It would be stupid for them to do it anyway. Peppers will play for us barring an unexpected trade. And he should have an outstanding season at least if he expects to keep his value up.

Posted by: Leonard | May 1, 2009 1:23:12 PM

I'm going to my attic & breaking out my Red Ryder BB gun & pointing it at my Julius Peppers bobblehead! Jerk!!

Posted by: panfan1 | May 1, 2009 1:26:16 PM

Bottom line with Pep is he wants out. You cannot blame him for the contract. If Procton's waffle house manager offered him 100k for his dishwashing job you could not fault him for this. Someone is writing the check.

Posted by: jeff | May 1, 2009 1:37:08 PM

I heard Goodson got the swine flu

Posted by: The Future | May 1, 2009 1:44:10 PM

No one knows what the situation with Peppers is. Maybe he is absolutely miserable here. Maybe he and Fox just don't get along. He wanted to be traded, it didn't happen. If Drew Rosenhaus was his agent, he wouldn't have a problem. My gripe is that Peppers has been paid at least 60 million dollars by the Panthers. He's due a another 17 million dollars this year. If he's smart with his money, he and his aires don't have to worry about money for the rest of their lives. He is in a blessed situation while millions of Americans are really hurting finacially. Yet he does not have the professionalism to show up for work. He trashes the organization that has made him for life. Really is it that bad to play football in front of millions and make tons of millions doing it? The Carolina Panthers stress character and it appears to me that Julius Peppers is a character that is not worthy of this organization, and its fans. His half hearted play the last two years diminished my respect, and his petulance this off season has erased it.

Posted by: James | May 1, 2009 1:55:19 PM

Peppers is a money grubbing and lack of character, piece of crap. I hope the Panthers let him go and that they don't put there fans thru all this miss of if he will play or not....... PEPPER'S YOU SUCK!!!!

Posted by: mark | May 1, 2009 2:16:33 PM

You heard it first... Peppers will play this year... next year we will franchise him again and have to pay him 20 mil to play next year. Wont be able to trade him again. And than after next year we will franchise him again and have to pay him 23 mil, than after that we wont be able to franchise him again

Posted by: panthers24 | May 1, 2009 2:17:26 PM

Packman mentioned something he read in the Sacramento Bee of San Fran possibly making a move for Pep. They have tons of cap room and 2 first round picks now (1 courtesy of our own CP's). I like Pep, but that town might just fit him perfect! Corey Miller said the same thing!

Posted by: DNYCE | May 1, 2009 2:20:47 PM

Anyone hating on Peppers right now is COMPLETElY off base. He is due to make 1 million dollars plus per game this next season. It would be stupid of him to risk an injury right now. We, the fans, and the Panthers NEED him on the field. He is the ENTIRE pass rush. That's why the Panthers drafted Everette, to try to balance it out a bit. Hopefully all works according to plan.

Posted by: Al | May 1, 2009 2:27:36 PM

Now Marty said last week they expected him at camp. Now Fox says they expect him in July. When are they ging to wake up. Pep sign the freakin tender so we can trade your big dumb azz. Jerk.

Posted by: JakeHater | May 1, 2009 2:36:47 PM

Panthers front office is a bunch of pussies

Posted by: qc321 | May 1, 2009 2:49:43 PM

I love how our coach or GM cant seem to get peppers dick out of there ass.

Posted by: jakesucks | May 1, 2009 2:50:29 PM

IF HE IS SO GOOD, WHY ARENT TEAMS KNOCKING DOWN OUR DOOR TO GET HIM. Becuase the only people who really think he is good enough to make 1 million a game are the panthers.

Posted by: jakesucks | May 1, 2009 2:52:51 PM

D-Will Hamstring?

Posted by: E | May 1, 2009 3:04:09 PM

Cut Delhomme!!!

Posted by: Brad | May 1, 2009 3:09:22 PM

Guys it upsets me as much as anyone that he does not want to be here. However that's not LOW CHArACTER!!! That's is RIGHT!!! He doesn't have to sign a contract and play football for anyone!! if he does not want to!!! this is AMERICA!!!! If he were doing all these things under "contract" which he is not! then sure it's unprofessional. But he is not! under contract!. he is 29 years old and has made over 60 Million dollars in 7 years and probably is sitting on over 40 Mill in the bank! he and his kids and his grandkids are set for life (what more can a man ask for). We as fans would love for him to want to play hard all the time...or want to play for us..but it's his RIGHT! to not want too! period! I don't like it...but I have to respect it! I can't say a guys a Jerk! because he doens't want to work for my company anymore...It upsets me of course...but that's his right! In 90% of practical businesses there are no "franchise tags" imagine how you would feel if your contract was up..with your company and there was a tag! in which they could place on you where you work the next 2 years for them or no one else! Well you very well may tell them to shove it up their you know what (if your well off) because you can afford to not work for the next 2 years or never work again!!

I am not even a peppers fan! at all...I have been watching him play since high school but after that year two years ago when he DOGGED IT! then came back and made a few passing rushing plays vs. Pathetic teams! to boost his stats in a contract year....I don't think he's worth the highest paid defensive player deal that the panthers have offered him.

Again I understand every's fustraction...but my fustration is with Fox right now....LET IT GO FOX trade him!
I know people are going to say "he hasn't signed the deal" well OF COURSE HE HASN't I wouldn't either as long as fox keeps saying "we are not going to trade you" I am pretty sure Fox is telling his agent the same thing in a effort to "force him to play for the panthers" Pep is already a guy that doesn't "love" playing football anyway...(which again that's his RIGHT) No one complains about the guy on wall street who hates his job but hey he's good with the #'s and he's got a family to support so he grinds it out.....The same is true for professional athletes some just don't "love it" and I respect that BUT! I don't want those type guys on my team....as a fan.
My G-friends employer has a "competitive clause" as I'm sure you guys are familiar with where ya know if she leaves her company there are a few in area (competition) that she has signed a contract saying she can't work for. If she leaves her current. (it sucks but I understand) Now Imagine if they said you work for us! for the next two years or no one else! PERIOD! man puhlease!! That would be a the best 2 year Vacation! ever! I woudln't allow any employer to force my hand that way. (provide I can afford too) and pep and all professional athletes can...so Your not going to have that kind of control over me if I really don't love playing anyway.....
just my two cents!
Lets go! Everett BROWN!!!!!

Posted by: Cheven | May 1, 2009 3:19:11 PM

We don't need Peppers and he is not our entire pass rush. He quit 2 years ago on us and last year his sacks were at meaninless points in the game. We would be much better off using the $16 mill to sign 5 or 6 back ups on the o-line and D-line. We need depth and the money that Peppers does not want could be used to better the team. I for one say just let him go. I don't even care if we don't get a pick for the greety chapal hill chump!

Posted by: Don Barbeau | May 1, 2009 3:20:35 PM

Now don you gotta watch talking about my Heels! lol but nah man I am reaching the point where I feel as you do.....just let it go!!!!! As far as your accessment to of his value to the team...I pretty much agree with you there.

Posted by: Cheven | May 1, 2009 3:29:42 PM

I agree with Don. That 16 million could have went along way towards providing some depth.

Posted by: stating the obvious | May 1, 2009 3:32:21 PM

salary 60 mil
- uncle sam 50%
- agent 15%
- "living expenses" 20%
= "poor"

Posted by: rodnee peets | May 1, 2009 3:36:16 PM

By reading the comments by a lot of people, I wouldnt blame any player for not wanting to be in Charlotte. They would rather go to a city that has fans that actually knows how the games is played and how buisness is done in the NFL. Charlotte is not a Major league city and i predict within 10 years there will be no pro team at all.

Posted by: aREALfan | May 1, 2009 4:05:56 PM

Hey aREALfan. What are you a real fan of. It is apparently not the Panthers. Please quit blogging with the decent fans who may not understand everything like you do. In fact I think you should write an article about how to be a real fan since you appear to be such a knowlegeable super fan. Maybe you should write all of the lead in articles or better yet buy the team from JR. I am sure he would love to hear your ideas everyday. Do all of us a favor and QUIT taking up valuable space with the garbage that you are spewing.

Posted by: scoot | May 1, 2009 4:30:31 PM

Fans, fans, fans -

This mess goes on all the time in the NFL. It ain't nothin' but a thang. I've ranted about JP all the while, as we all have, but here is the beer-soaked facts:

1. The market pays him. That be us.

2. He's human - that means he's heard the ridiculous praise, and he's weak enough to believe it.

3. He's been at it so long, he may think he's bigger than the game.

4. He'll be a rich man. We all got our way, that's his way. Lucky to be 6-8 and built like atlas and run like the wind. The genetic lottery ticket and he's got it.

5. I, Ben, says keep chillin'. At this point nobody has stepped up to claim his proud azz, so he be playin' in blue and black next year barring any late-arriving savior.

It's all good. It's all entertainment. If it offends you, turn off the tv or switch to baseball.

Posted by: Ben | May 1, 2009 4:34:09 PM