« Saturday Morning Minicamp Notes | Main | SI ranks Panthers 18th »

May 06, 2009

Rucker to provide preseason color

A familiar face to the Panthers will handle color commentary for the team's final three preseason exhibitions, according to the Panthers website. Former defensive end Mike Rucker will be joined in the television booth by Mike Morgan, who will handle play-by-play duties. Morgan has been a broadcaster for South Carolina basketball and baseball games.

Morgan and Rucker replace Gary Williams and former Panthers quarterback Steve Beuerlein in broadcasting the preseason games.

The Panthers' first exhibition -- Aug. 17 at the New York Giants -- will be on ESPN. The Panthers' other three games -- Aug. 22 at Miami, Aug. 29 vs. Baltimore and Sept. 3 vs. Pittsburgh -- will be on WCCB, channel 18 in the Charlotte market. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on May 6, 2009 at 10:53 PM | Permalink

Comments

Will any of these preseason games be available to persons not in the immediate Charlotte viewing area? Internet? NFL Sunday ticket, I don't think it offers this.

Posted by: MarkU | May 6, 2009 11:11:29 PM

Cool beans! Glad to see that Mike Rucker is still hanging around the Panthers. Perhaps he'll pop in during training camp and hang out for a bit. Now that would be nice.

Posted by: Revshawn | May 7, 2009 12:03:21 AM

MarkU,
Typically the NFL network will re-air the preseason games during the week. Of course you still need access to the NFL network but at least they do re-air them.

Posted by: LittleKing | May 7, 2009 8:34:44 AM

Will there ever be a Panthers Network Broadcast in HD???!!!!

It's time for that preseason network to join the new century. Wakey wakey Panther's Network.

I think this is a good move, Mr. Beurlein sounded a bit flat towards the end. Though I am worried about Ruck sounding a bit stiff, because he is such an earnest guy. I hope they practice on old games with the sound off (hint, hint) to keep the flow and commentary lively.

Posted by: Ben | May 7, 2009 9:04:48 AM

Gary Williams is the MOST OVERRATED drunken hack to ever be on Charlotte radio/television. This new team is going to be a welcomed addition. If they could only figure a way to broadcast these games in high definition.

Posted by: Tremaine | May 7, 2009 9:29:58 AM

Maybe you guys should check Twitter or Panthers.com . They also announced games in HD this year.....

Posted by: stewey | May 7, 2009 9:48:55 AM

Can anyone read? They said the games would be in HD on panthers.com ...people these days

Posted by: RedNeckBob | May 7, 2009 9:52:34 AM

Why should WE check anywhere. Why did the article (the one we are commenting on, not some silly Twitter site)not mention the games would be HD?

Posted by: Tremaine | May 7, 2009 11:17:19 AM

Hopefully the NFL Network will actually re-broadcast all the games this year. Last year, they didn't rebroadcast all of the Panthers games.

Posted by: MarkU | May 7, 2009 3:34:53 PM

Yeah, Tremaine...it is TOTALLY unreasonable that you, a person with an internet connection, would go to Panthers.com to find out. Geez, people!

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 7, 2009 5:10:49 PM

Right on Procton...Tremaine wants everything spoon fed to him, were not in preschool anymore.

Posted by: RedNeckBob | May 7, 2009 7:40:48 PM

Jeremy Bridges signed with the Redskins. DC better close the strip clubs at least 2 hours earlier!

Posted by: wowo | May 8, 2009 12:10:01 AM

I guess the Real Estate business aint hittin it for Mr. Rucker

Posted by: ironbody | May 9, 2009 8:20:57 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I actually enjoyed Gary and Steve's games. This is an unwelcome change in my book.

Posted by: emlit | May 9, 2009 8:58:51 AM

I will miss Steve B.'s comments. Always liked him. But welcome, Mr. Rucker!! I can't wait for football!!!

Posted by: mys | May 9, 2009 4:08:59 PM

Buerlein was a quality commentator, but I'm sure this is a cost-cutting move done with an eye on keeping a familiar face in the booth. Whatever, I say...if they're no good, it's only three games, and how many of you even watch those fully (I know I do if I'm not at the games, so I'm not knocking it if you do.

Posted by: Michael Procton | May 9, 2009 5:35:24 PM

Not really hurt by the loss of Williams, and I'm sure Ruck will be great in the booth, but I always loved listening to Beuerlein. Oh well, it's only 3 pointless games anyways.

Posted by: Jordan | May 9, 2009 10:28:45 PM

who gives a hairy rats ass. its preseason.

Posted by: ray | May 11, 2009 5:50:40 PM

Best Hummer and other auto information source here http://automoto.goodnanoav.com/

Posted by: alidiliorma | Jun 14, 2009 12:24:05 PM