« Rucker to provide preseason color | Main | Baker's unique football camp »

May 11, 2009

SI ranks Panthers 18th

Sports Illustrated's Peter King rates the NFL teams 1-32 in his off-season power rankings and the Panthers aren't anywhere near the top. King has the Panthers ranked 18th -- saying he's worried about quarterback Jake Delhomme's poor playoff performance (5 INTs) against the Cardinals, the uncertainty of the Julius Peppers situation and how poorly the defense played down the stretch.

He could have mentioned the Panthers' schedule -- second toughest in the league -- but he didn't.

King has the Patriots ranked No. 1; the Browns No. 32. He also has the Panther ranked behind the Falcons in the NFC South, but ahead of New Orleans and Tampa Bay. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on May 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM | Permalink

Comments

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't like Sports Illustrated. Why they are even being sited as a relevent source seems very significant to me, as their articles have proved in the past that they are biased. At times they're willing to throw common sense into the wind in order to praise the teams they love.

I remember one time that they compared Julius Peppers to an aging linebacker from another team. I'm not even sure he was a starter, he might have been a backup at the time. That completely threw me off of SI.com for now and for eternity.

Bottom line, that game was a fluke. The Panthers only ran the ball 5 times in the first half, 13 times through the entire game. That's not Panther football. We tried to give the ball to Jake Delhomme whom is no Peytan Manning. We tried another tactic inconsistent to our teams strength, and that is why we failed in an epic manner.

Irreguardless of how Jake Delhomme was playing at the time, if the ball was given to Deangelo Williams and he started to have success on the ground, who knows what might have happened? Jake Delhomme might have gotten pumped and started working the play action, and we would have won the game.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. Bottom line: You can't listen to everything SI says. Football is not one of their strong points.

Posted by: Revshawn | May 11, 2009 12:34:07 PM

You might not like 18, but where was King wrong? Jake did have a so so season followed by the worst game I've ever seen. The defense stunk the 2nd half of the year and the only change made was to resign the D Line that can't stop the run or pressue the QB and bring back an 18 million dollar per DE that doesn't want to be here. We also traded a future #1 for a 5'8 DE... Oh yeah, the schedule is brutal to boot.

Posted by: SMF | May 11, 2009 12:41:04 PM

These rankings are nothing but fun. They don't mean a thing until the season ends. I think the Browns and Packers were in the top 10 last year.

Posted by: Big JAQ | May 11, 2009 12:42:09 PM

I love it when we dont get ranked as a top team. History has shown that we have horrible years after so much is expected of us by the media. Remember everyone picking us for the Superbowl a few years ago? Cover of SI is a jinx.

Posted by: AZPanther | May 11, 2009 12:49:09 PM

Awesome. The only thing better would be if SI picked us dead last. Peter King is a moron and I don't want any part of the SI jinx.

Posted by: SouthFloridaPanthersFanClub | May 11, 2009 12:54:12 PM

King still holds a sour grapes grudge from when he picked the Panthers to win the Super Bowl a few years back. Oh no, a so-called expert made an NFL prediction in May, I guess we shouldn't even show up to play the games.

Posted by: J | May 11, 2009 12:57:05 PM

we'll prove it on the field

Posted by: Panthers Super Fan | May 11, 2009 1:00:18 PM

I do believe because of 'the schedule' is exactly the reason PK placed the kitty cats @#18, mmmmmmmmmh??

Posted by: Bill Lassiter | May 11, 2009 1:01:52 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Shouldn't the 1st power rankings be based on last years results? Pats over the Steelers? Green Bay over Carolina? Peter King once again proves why I think he is one of the biggest idiots sports journalism.

Posted by: LucasGotBurnt | May 11, 2009 1:04:01 PM

King is a GOOBER! Check out the cats in December and ask me how you want your "crow" served? Predictions are not your strong point. Go Panthers!

Posted by: Greg T | May 11, 2009 1:11:07 PM

It wasn't Peter King that picked the Panthers to win the SuperBowl it was Don Banks. That being said Peter King can't be bothered to really cover a team unless its in the NFC East or its the Patriots. Oh yeah, he will also cover the Steelers, Brett Favre (endlessly) and the Dolphins now that the Tuna is there. Big surprise that he's from NJ and just moved to Boston. I don't get his dislike of the Panthers but last year he barely mentioned them even when we were winning our division and had the 3rd best record in the conference. Even his visit to training camp in Spartanburg barely got two paragraphs.

Posted by: jim | May 11, 2009 1:12:12 PM

Here how bad he was last year. The weather man is more accurate.

Posted by: NCPANTHER | May 11, 2009 1:12:27 PM

Peter King is a paid employee of the New England Patriots, if you have ever read Monday Morning Quarterback 30% to 40% of every article is about the Patriots. There is no way the Patriots should be ranked number one with that aging defense and the uncertainty with Tom Brady, also there is no reason the Panthers should be rated as low as they are, especially not when we are returning 21 of 22 starters.

Posted by: jody | May 11, 2009 1:13:03 PM

you forgot about the 1 fumble also

Posted by: Jake D | May 11, 2009 1:20:57 PM

SI's Peter King says Panthers will be mediocre? This is GOOD news.

Posted by: Brigolf67 | May 11, 2009 1:28:21 PM

The statement from NCPanther is right on. Monday morning quarterback is all about the Patriots and Brett Farve. King has a man crush on the Patriots coach, Farve and Parcells. We will here in the season when the Patriots are losing is because Brady got married and the Jets would of won it all if Farve would have come back for another year.

Posted by: jeb | May 11, 2009 1:30:20 PM

Sports Illustrated???...more like baseball illustrated...

Posted by: Bob Smith | May 11, 2009 1:31:29 PM

Panthers are in trouble this year. Tough schedule, horrible defense, anemic passing game. DeAngelo needs to prove himself this year and put together two good seasons in a row before I am sold on him. Delhomme.....Where should I start on him.

Predition: Panthers win 7 games tops this year

Posted by: Jeff | May 11, 2009 1:36:49 PM

Ok, first of all Dr. Z has always made those rankings before he had a stroke last year. He tend to favor heavy running teams so it was no suprise he pick us to win a couple of years back. But most of all he did a proper investigation before he ranked (especially during the season watching more games when anyone).

King, like Jim saids, only watches NFC East ant NE. He probably picked NE 1s and ranked the rest of the teams taking papers from a hat..

Posted by: Thorrez | May 11, 2009 1:42:42 PM

The Panthers will probably be mediocre at best this year. They have average QB at best. Then they have a below average defense. It is a recipe for a long year. I also don't think the running backs will duplicate the success last year. The last point is that Steve Smith is getting up there (and while I still think he's one of top 3 receivers in the league) he is due for an average year.

Posted by: Andy | May 11, 2009 1:44:48 PM

he "aint" the only one worried about delhommie and pep!!!! Most of us are!!!!
his 18th ranking is generous.

Posted by: bigdaddy | May 11, 2009 1:51:54 PM

We haven't earned anything yet. I think Peter King was right. He could have mentioned the schedule but the facts are that we didn't finish well (even before the playoff debacle) Peppers is an issue and we can't expect to be ranked high purely off of the way our roster looks, which is good. I am excited about the season because of how we drafted, and I think the team will function well no matter what happens with Pep. We have a great running game, a great receiver, a great line, and a very capable defense with a new set of eyes. I like our chances this year, but if this year doesn't go well...next year will look completely different.

Go Panthers

Posted by: Andrew Wright | May 11, 2009 1:53:13 PM

SMF, King's wrong because we're a running team and his whole rationale revolves around our system QB's ability to be our savior. He didn't even mention Williams/Stewart, and that's where our bread and butter will lie this year (along with Smith, of course). He's also wrong because everyone involved in the Peppers situation says it won't be an issue for him to play here this year, only for the long-term deal. AND he just came off of a career-best season in sacks.

I get it, the AZ game sucked, but why did everyone forget everything else that happened last season before that? Houston, GB (!), Minn, Jets (!!), Miami are all better than us based on nothing but this offseason? That's just stupid. We should have been #12 even with his obviously total disregard for us, #10 more realistically.

And for what it's worth, espn's rankings are infinitely more accurate and insightful than SI's week in and week out. I've thought SI chases fame and little else for years now. This just enforces that to me in spades.

Posted by: Jones | May 11, 2009 1:54:44 PM

He's being very kind saying we are 18.
for this team.

8-8 is the best they'll be.

Posted by: lr | May 11, 2009 1:56:43 PM

Peter King is an idiot, so I will lose no sleep over this at all. As has been stated in other people's comments, he is so bised toward the Patriots, the NFC East and Brett Favre that it eliminates any consideration of credibility. WE can't go one week in Monday Morning Quarterback without some kind of glowing accolade of the Patriots OR the stupid Red Sox. He is a Boston homer just like Peter Gammons for baseball.

Now, that being said....I am concerned about this year because of the schedule and the fact that the defense has GOT to play better. Julius and his agent made a mess out of something that should have been handled internally...and I would like to see him traded. I am NOT concerned about Jake....I predict he will make all of the Jake haters eat crow this year. Offense will not be our problem....defense/special teams is what concerns me.

Posted by: tc | May 11, 2009 2:02:26 PM