« Long-term deal could be next for Peppers | Main | Fourth-rounder Fiammetta signs »

June 26, 2009

Delhomme, Beason: Welcome back, Julius

If the reaction of two Panthers leaders is any indication, defensive end Julius Peppers can expect a warm reception from his teammates when training camp begins in early August.

"Not surprised at all about Julius," quarterback Jake Delhomme said by text message about the news that Peppers had signed a one-year tender with the team on Wednesday. "All of us will be elated he will be present on the first day of camp."

Linebacker Jon Beason writes on his blog that he feels the same way:

"We’re glad to have JP back and I think he’s happy, too. In some ways that’s the way I expected the procedure to unfold. The Panthers would have had to trade him for lesser value because his value is through the roof. A team would have had to give up several high draft picks and then pay him close to $100 million, so it’s a double edged sword.

"It’s been great getting to know Pep as a person the last few years and to see him play in games is unbelievable. He’s such a specimen, such as freak, he’s so gifted and talented it’s unbelievable. He’s definitely the most talented lineman I’ve ever seen and maybe the most talented player." -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on June 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM | Permalink

Comments

This is showing the great leadership of Beason. Hopefully Pep can latch on to some of this and bring it. I was just as pissed as everyone else when he wanted a trade but maybe he can work something out long term and we can all be happy. Let's see how he feels with the new DC

Posted by: carolinajon | Jun 26, 2009 1:15:48 AM

I like apples

Posted by: jason | Jun 26, 2009 1:26:12 AM

Beason is the best defensive player on this team. The total package, really.

Also I can't wait to see our defense bookended by Julius Peppers and Everette Brown.

Posted by: lemons | Jun 26, 2009 1:33:13 AM

We have the best Linebacker corp in the NFL. As for Jon, how many other 24 year old players can say they already have made 278 tackles?

Posted by: charlesbright | Jun 26, 2009 7:09:52 AM

I hate Beason. He is everything I always wanted to be...well spoken, intelligient, normal looking, a leader, not from North Carolina. He also loves to play the game and gives 100% on every play which makes me mad. He makes me look bad. I like basketball. I play football for the money. Playing in the Final Four as a bench warmer was better than starting as DE in one the most exciting Superbowls ever played. My life sucks. How did all this happen to me?

Posted by: Julius Peppers | Jun 26, 2009 7:17:11 AM

Its important to remember that once Julius was called out to be the leader of this team everything went wrong. And suddenly he wanted out of here. I like the fact that Beason has embraced this role(and produced as well). All im saying now is that with Beason as the TRUE leader of this defense, now we can get our old julius who just wants to play ball.

Posted by: Tman | Jun 26, 2009 7:56:53 AM

Time for the Panther fans to jump back on his lap. True definition of a bandwagon team, fans, and organization. Booooo!!!!! to the panthers. The trophy box looks really empty. But, who knows.... anything is possible. We'll see, we shall see!!!!?????

Posted by: tampa-fan-N-pnthr-Land | Jun 26, 2009 8:51:28 AM

I am curious to see if the 'Old' Julius is going to be back or not. With all that has happened this off season, I have begun to wonder if he is having some off the field problems that the public just doesn't know about. Like Muhammad, I'm going to be a little sore with this for a while. He bit the hand that fed him. I respect the rest of the team for welcoming him back. It takes big people to do that. Me on the other hand...he has some work to do and I think as fans go, he owes us a little more heart on the field. My preditiction is that it's an 11-12 sack season and then he'll demand a trade or being released again.

Posted by: Trey Griffin | Jun 26, 2009 9:33:40 AM

Enjoy your creamsicle uniforms, Buc. Maybe you can win 6 games this year!

Posted by: fernando | Jun 26, 2009 9:35:20 AM

I'm thrilled that we're going to have Julius back. We need him. But isn't is possible this whole "trade me, I will never play for the Panther's again" was entirely orchestrated by Julius and his agent to maximize his payday before signing what will likely be his last major contract? By forcing the Panthers to tag him, he knows he's going to earn a massive 1 year guaranteed payday. Then when he goes to sign his long term deal, he'll get another massive guaranteed bonus ($25 million?) and he'll negotiate a pretty decent salary. So basically, he sets himself up for a guaranteed $35 to $50 million in under a 2 year period. The bonus will be spread out over several years, but it will still be guaranteed money. I think he played the panthers like a drum.

Posted by: PanthersFan | Jun 26, 2009 9:48:13 AM

This is to the person who is posting as Julius Peppers... Get a life and stop posting responses as Julius Peppers. If you have something to say use your real name. Besides you could probably be sued for what you are doing in terms of using his name.

Posted by: Leonard | Jun 26, 2009 10:10:07 AM

As for the best linebacking corp, its getting there. We still can't compete with the Steelers or Ravens in that department, but we are a solid 4th or 5th. With this years added depth in a healthy Conner coming back, it should get interesting.

Attempting to make the first four games of the season.

Posted by: ricobb | Jun 26, 2009 10:11:51 AM

tampa-fan-N-pnthr-Land,

Find another alias.. Panther country, so leave NOW! Idiot.

Posted by: ricobb | Jun 26, 2009 10:14:20 AM

Julius would have gotten a monster contract without all of the drama. He could have stayed quiet and signed the tender when he did and still have the opportunity to make the maximum amount of money due to him. I do think he should sign a long term deal now because if he doesn't he will be 30 and be potentially less valuable. So he should take the record contract now.

Posted by: Leonard | Jun 26, 2009 10:15:36 AM

PF, signing bonuses are paid up front most of the time. They're only prorated for salary cap purposes.

ricobb, the Ravens or Steelers might be able to compete with us in terms of their top three, but how many other teams in the league have six LBs drafted in the first three rounds?

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 26, 2009 10:19:34 AM

Leonard...I hear what you're saying, but think about it this way: If Julius had just agreed to sign a long term contract last season in what was the final year of his current contract, he never gets the one year $17+ million payday. He would get his bonus and his new salary, but he doesn't get what will be his biggest single season paycheck. There is a risk he takes in doing this because if he gets injured, he screws up his chances at a long term deal, but for a guaranteed $17 million dollars for one seasons worth of work, it's a risk worth taking.

Posted by: PanthersFan | Jun 26, 2009 11:05:02 AM

What I don't understand is how people can be mad a Pep for what he did. 1st of all no one can say they don't agree with the business side of the game. Maybe he just wanted the BIG 1 year deal and then a stout contract. Bottom line is he is going to make close to half of Haynesworths entire guarenteed contract in just 1 year. Can't blame him. Everyone wants him to be this team player that cares about the Panthers more than himself. Well Panther fans I hate to say it but the only guy to do that takes a BEATEN by all the fans constantly!! and his name is Jake Delhomme. Bottom line is if Pep gets injured and can't play the BIG CAT & fans will run his ass back to Raleigh!!!!!!! So he better look out for #1 HIMSELF

Posted by: wowo | Jun 26, 2009 11:33:19 AM

wowo, Peppers has been looking out for #1 since he started playing football. Players who care about their team at all show up more than every other week.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 26, 2009 11:56:36 AM

I just reread my earlier post in response to the one by Julius Peppers. I now realize I sounded like a tool. I'm sorry.

Posted by: Leonard | Jun 26, 2009 12:02:04 PM

wowo...I'm not made at him. I think he's a g-d damned genius.

Posted by: PanthersFan | Jun 26, 2009 1:10:15 PM

Exspect JP to sign a long term contract by Mid-July. The Panthers paying him $16.7 this year just doesn't sound good to me & $20M next year sounds much worse. 5 years and $60M or six and $72M has a better ring to it.

Posted by: Mo | Jun 26, 2009 1:21:33 PM

To the haters of the day.. I unlike YOU understand its a business. I understand that this is a free comment blog in which I can comment on what I like to. I understand that you may be satisfied with winning games and ALMOST making to the big game (just to lose...again). I understand you're angry b/c when you take a look that the trophy collection its as empty as your head (just a joke, calm down). But please understand this, Tampa is in the same conf./division so I do as a REAL FAN and support whenever I can. Sorry to offend you its not that serious.

Posted by: tampa-fan-N-pnthr-Land | Jun 26, 2009 2:24:01 PM

Uhh...that trophy collection contains three division championships and a conference championship. That's better than Tampa did in its first 20 years, much less 13.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 26, 2009 4:16:47 PM

Well at least now we can focus on this tough as balls schedule instead of playing "Where's Julius?"

Posted by: Minorj1 | Jun 26, 2009 4:30:55 PM

@tampa-fan-N-pnthr-Land,

Our team overall has more skill and talent than the Bucs. We have the #3 overall Running game in the league with a player (Deangelo Williams) who had the most TD's last year at 20. We have a stable Quarterback when the Bucs do not, all the Bucs have is a bunch of washed up wannabes and a rookie competing for the Quarterback position. We have our offensive line rank in the top 5 last year for allowing least amount of sacks. We also have the #1 Linebacker in the league, Jon Beason. With the talent and skill we have acquired over the years it seems that we should enter the postseason. When the Bucs have a new coach and no QB, so therefor your at the bottom of the division by the end of the year, enjoy watching the playoffs from home Tampon Bay Bunchaqueers! hahaha! GO PANTHERS!!!!

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 26, 2009 6:13:09 PM