« Fourth-rounder Fiammetta signs | Main | Kyle signs with Saints »

June 26, 2009

Panthers sign draft pick Goodson

The Panthers announced the signing today of fourth-round draft pick Mike Goodson, a running back/kick returner from Texas A&M. He is the third of the team's draft picks to sign. The Panthers are high on Goodson's game-breaking potential as a situational running, receiver and possible kickoff returner.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on June 26, 2009 at 03:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

I am really sold on this guy. I think he can be a running back "Steve Smith" for the Panthers! We will have a 3 headed beast like New York did in 07 and 08! Forget "Double Trouble", we might need to revisit "Smash and Dash!" Then add Slash to it now that we got Mike Goodson! Teams better put 10 in the box instead of 8 because we are definitely going to run it down there throats!

Posted by: Minorj1 | Jun 26, 2009 4:27:30 PM

That's exactly why your not a defensive coach, no one in their right mind would stack 10 in the box. There's only 11 players and you have to count for Steve Smith. So lets put all 3 RB's on the field and then the coach will be dumb enough to put 10 in the box only for us to throw it to Steve Smith for a 80+ yard TD reception... Good call. But Goodson will be a possible 3rd down back/KR/WR kinda guy. He has great hands and agility, glad we nailed this guy in the draft.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 26, 2009 5:04:16 PM

Does it feel more and more likely that Robinson wont be making the 53 man roster this year with guys like Goodson , Beavers and the Captain all being known for there return skills? As for Captain can anyone tell me of a successful NFL CB that's only 5'8" ? He has to be the only CB in the NFL that Steve Smith is taller than

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 26, 2009 5:26:03 PM

No, Daniel. He's had a great offseason of work, they know what he can do having already played in a year, and he's got a chance to produce more at his real position than certainly either Beavers, Munnerlyn, or Goodson do with our need at #3 WR. Don't forget that Robinson has a bit of return success himself: he's the #1 punt returner in NCAA HISTORY.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 26, 2009 5:37:07 PM

I think we should name the trio Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails

Posted by: Marvin | Jun 26, 2009 5:44:40 PM

Darrell Green

Posted by: DCR | Jun 26, 2009 6:01:03 PM

#1 Returner in NCAA History, hope this guy can produce this year, injuries need to be limited this year and not be crucial. I really hope to see production from Robinson/ Dan Connor/ Dwayne Jarrett.

Dan Connor was robbed of his rookie season because of injury. If he produces well in training camp and pre-season, then he could have a shot at starting with Beason and Davis, but we all know Diggs is a solid LB. We just have to see how each player does at each position, can't wait! Go Panthers!

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 26, 2009 6:02:34 PM

(#1 Returner as in Robinson, just so no one gets confused. I was merely agreeing with MP statement on him being the #1 Return guy.)

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 26, 2009 6:04:13 PM

Kenenth Moore can return punts & kicks too!

Posted by: panfan1 | Jun 26, 2009 6:42:58 PM

We have a knack for finding talent at the KR/PR position and turning them into super starts. Look at Steve Smith for instance!

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 26, 2009 6:56:30 PM

Haha...I don't know if one player makes a knack. Rod Smart didn't exactly light it up on offense. But Robinson has apparently been performing VERY well as a WR in camp, so if we can carry a guy who can actually play a real position in addition to returning, that's a spot saved for a second fullback, an extra kicker, or wherever else we need it.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 26, 2009 8:39:53 PM

@minorj1,

If we are to nick name the trio although nothings been proven on the field yet by Goodson. The name should be - Triple Trouble. That makes more sense. But this will be just another season of blogs full of nick names for our great rushing team.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 26, 2009 9:52:38 PM

We've gotta come up with a better nickname for DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and Mike Goodson (lets not forget about the Hoove and Mike Fiammmeta) but I like "GROUND CONTROL" because it shows some love to the big bruisers up front (Gross, Kalil, Otah, Wharton, Vincent, etc.) My new name for our running game is:

GROUND CONTROL

Posted by: James | Jun 26, 2009 10:38:08 PM

I second Ground Control! I like it!

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 26, 2009 11:19:09 PM

Robinson never impressed me, even when healthy....too timid and indecisive with the ball in the return game....cut him loose.

Posted by: Phil | Jun 27, 2009 12:12:40 AM

Maybe if we go with 4 RB's we can just break down and just call them the A-Team.

Posted by: Revshawn | Jun 27, 2009 1:51:07 AM

Hey Daniel - A more contemporary answer to your question than Darrell Green is Tim Jennings, Colts. And if you're still worried, Bob Sanders (All-Pro) is also 5'8".

Posted by: Coach4040 | Jun 27, 2009 7:10:54 AM

I like GROUND CONTROL...I guess Delhomme will be MAJOR TOM. I can hear a new song playing at The Bank! (New nickname for BofA Stadium)

Posted by: Lee | Jun 27, 2009 9:19:21 AM

I'm interested in seeing how we will us Goodson in the game. We have a lot of talent on our team but I have not been pleased with the way we have been using them. Rosario for instance, proved he can play even in a clutch!, but we don't use him anymore the rest of the season and barely any other TE's. We can open up our passing game with additional TE play and RB options. In addition, I think that we may need to cut one TE and only carry two. I completly agree with carring two FB's till Hoover retire, he can learn from one of the best.

Posted by: Lineal89 | Jun 27, 2009 11:31:32 AM

I second you on that. We need to use our TE's more. If do us our TE's this season it opens up more plays, such as Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad, and addition to the RB options. How the heck are you going to use your TE's only one time out of the year. If we use our TE's this year, we will suprise a lot of teams, because they expect us to us our TE's only as blockers.

Posted by: afrocelticboy | Jun 27, 2009 11:47:05 AM

Lineal, Rosario racked up more false starts than most of our linemen, and he had several passes that went right off his hands and turned into INTs.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 27, 2009 2:35:28 PM

I think Goodson can become the Jim Kich to Double Troubles Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris and that team won 2 Super Bowls and had an undefeated season. As to whoever said we need another RB to be the A-Team is wrong because we already got Hoov but I like the nickname Ground Control with Jake being Major Tom.

Posted by: Reid | Jun 27, 2009 3:38:08 PM

Yeah Procton... but then again he had that game winning catch in the back of the endzone between 3 defenders to help give us the 12-4 record. But of course your better than him, so put your pads on and go repeat what he did in SD.

Pathetic...

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 27, 2009 5:57:14 PM

As Procton should know, success in college automatically translates to success in the NFL. Just ask Timmy Chang, Jason White, and Charles Rodgers. Procton, please get rid of your "man-crush" with Ryne, because you seem to always want to disregard college stats when it comes to D-Will. Oh well....

Posted by: rhackney | Jun 27, 2009 6:42:35 PM

According to Ryan Kalil, he’s to blame for most of the false starts, even though he wasn’t called for any penalties.

“Most of them were my fault,” Kalil said. “I know it looked like guys were jumping off-sides, but really I was having a hard time hearing (the snap count).”

So what Kalil is suggesting is that while it looked like tackles Jordan Gross and Jeff Otah and tight ends Dante Rosario and Jeff King were jumping early, most of the time they actually weren’t.

They were actually on time, right in tune with quarterback Jake Delhomme’s signal.

The snap, however, was late.

But since Gross, Otah and others can't move until the ball does they were getting flagged for false starts.

“It’s something I have to fix,” Kalil said.

(This information was from the Carolina Panthers Bleacher Report, posted on September 27th,2008) Take that Procton!

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 27, 2009 6:58:56 PM