« Kyle signs with Saints | Main | Panthers pick up rookie TE »

June 30, 2009

Smith cuts ties with youth group

Panthers receiver Steve Smith has ended his participation in the Charlotte organization Athletes United For Youth, his agent said Tuesday. "Due to Steve's responsibilities with his family and other professional obligations, his off-field time is limited," agent Derrick Fox said in an email.
Smith had been involved in the organization with former basketball players Dell Curry and Jay Bilas. -- David Scott
-- The Panthers waived rookie linebackers Mike Juergens and Brit Miller on Tuesday. -- D.S.

Posted by Observer Sports on June 30, 2009 at 07:54 PM | Permalink

Comments

At least he did not punch anyone.

Posted by: Michael Proctom | Jun 30, 2009 8:28:16 PM

He'll have plenty of time for Charity when his career comes to an end. Steve Smith is 30 and his kids are getting older. Can't be everywhere at once.

Posted by: Revshawn | Jun 30, 2009 9:03:14 PM

This is a very misleading headline and the story is hardly worthy of a mention.

Posted by: jim | Jun 30, 2009 9:24:37 PM

Jim is right on here. Shame on whomever generated this headline. Total b.s. Completely misleading.

Posted by: lance | Jun 30, 2009 9:39:24 PM

It's only misleading if you were assuming something. People are too expectant of muckraking these days.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 30, 2009 10:28:15 PM

Bummer, I had hopes for Miller

Posted by: Nate | Jul 1, 2009 1:00:41 AM

He cut ties with an organization. That is not a bad thing. How is the headline misleading? Steve Smith has given plenty to the community and I would be willing to bet that he will continue to give to the community.

Posted by: jeff | Jul 1, 2009 7:12:09 AM

A better misleading headline would have been....." Steve Smith calls it quits"

That would have had everyone in a panic. LOL!!!!

Posted by: Jake | Jul 1, 2009 7:23:40 AM

I know news is slow, but what's next... JAKE DOESN'T HELP AN OLD LADY CROSS THE STREET BECAUSE HE'S LATE FOR HIS KID'S SOCCER PRACTICE?

At some point, this paper needs to get it's stuff together! I know this a blog not the actual paper but come on... you do better than this.

Smith has given a lot to community over the years; and you don't even this as what it is, a respectable bowing out of service because he can't render it anymore.

It's articles like this that give athletes bad names.

Posted by: Julis Peppers | Jul 1, 2009 10:00:58 AM

Typical Observer. Accentuate the negative.

Posted by: Ben | Jul 1, 2009 10:29:45 AM

Really guys? Why is this newsworthy? Do you want to let us know if you cut ties with a charity as well? Give me a break.

Let me know when you have real news to cover.

Posted by: PantherFan10 | Jul 1, 2009 5:09:33 PM

Agreed! I can see it now.
"John Fox cuts his own Grass" lol

Posted by: Cheven | Jul 1, 2009 5:52:21 PM

Why is everyone on here so negative? I think you people need to cut the writters a break. Its a slow time right now. I'm just glad there is anything to read. Who cares if its a small post, at least it is something. For all of you who are so negative all the time, why do you continue to visit this site? I just dont get it. The boys at the Observer are trying. Cut them some slack. I for one am glad for a post. Before our signings, I think this site went over a week with out posting anything, is that what you all would preffer?

Just show some thanks that they even write ANYTHING for you to read.

Posted by: JD | Jul 1, 2009 5:58:21 PM

Cheven - "John Fox smokes his own grass" might cause a stir...:-)

Posted by: Phil | Jul 2, 2009 11:25:38 AM

Man, I have been getting my Panther's so called news from here since I have relocated to Wilmington 3 and a half years ago. And I got to tell you the Northerners are right. If you people call yourself fans I hate to see the enemies. I love my Panthers and all I see on this site is hate. What a truley fine example you are setting for our team and orginization! If you could just drag your Ritzy asss to the seats, everyone would know how great true Southern Panthers fans are! I guess it all boils down to this.. YOU are NOT and WILL not EVER put on pads and play in the NFL, so just view it as that. A SPECTATOR SPORT AND ONE TO BE PROUD OF!!!!!! I really don't care if we go 0-16! I know no matter what I will still be a fan!! It seems to me that not many on this site can say the same! Last I checked Charlotte is still in the South and you Yanks have a puny leg to stand on when you yourself are the ones who are not acclimated. NC loves the Panthers. We don't care about what team you pulled for before you moved here! We have every right to pull for our team too! Stop all the hate and just believe, we WILL GET THERE and EVEN THEN, THEY WILL ALL TALK CRAP LIKE YOU GUYS, it just doesn't matter. The NFL is not life or death

Posted by: Christopher Summey | Jul 4, 2009 6:52:28 AM

i care if we go 0-16....

Posted by: rjk | Jul 5, 2009 12:17:59 PM

nice post christopher, but nothing will change the fact that no area in the world complains more then the northern part of the US.

Posted by: southerner | Jul 6, 2009 1:31:28 PM

JD, I will be laughing for days to come on John Fox smoking his own "grass". Thanks man

Posted by: Odell | Jul 7, 2009 5:08:07 PM

What is the over/under for Jake's Turnovers this year?

Posted by: JAY | Jul 9, 2009 10:47:55 AM