« UPDATED: Peppers signs offer sheet, to play for Panthers | Main | Long-term deal could be next for Peppers »

June 24, 2009

Statement from Julius Peppers

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers released this statement today after signing a one-year contract tender with the team worth $16.683 million in guaranteed base salary and up to $2.5 million more in incentives:

"I have signed the franchise tender and am now under a one-year contract with the Carolina Panthers.  Recently, I've had positive and productive discussions with the organization.  I am optimistic and focused as I look forward to the upcoming NFL season."

That should settle the issue of whether or not Peppers will report to the Panthers training camp on time.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on June 24, 2009 at 03:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

So that's the script that Jerry Richardson gave him to read? Hahaha, no... he will show up and play 50% like always, and next year he will want out, but no matter what he already knows he's out next year, because he knows the Panthers aren't stupid enough to pay 20 Million for one years worth of play.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 24, 2009 3:33:31 PM

Julius, I hope you have 1000 sacks this coming season and are boo-ed after each one of them. Good luck on the season and HOPEFULLY good riddance after this season.

Posted by: john | Jun 24, 2009 3:34:37 PM

I think it's funny because the Observer posts all this stuff about Peppers and hasn't posted that Carolina has signed Captain Munnerlyn from South Carolina. The FIRST to sign from the 7 picks, just an FYI to everyone. And yes, I am open to a job opportunity David/Stan, I know I get the info quicker than everyone, because I knew about an hour ago that Peppers signed. Probably because Panthers.com has more news than the observer.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 24, 2009 3:38:59 PM

One slightly used #90 jersey for sale. will give away or pay someone to take it should that be required.

Posted by: Scott | Jun 24, 2009 3:42:21 PM

What are the chances of a long term deal now?

Posted by: Eric | Jun 24, 2009 3:58:14 PM

Who cares, Cameron? He's a seventh-round pick who'll play special teams if he plays at all.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 24, 2009 3:59:26 PM

I know Procton, I was just stating something that the observer should of posted. The news is that he was the first of the 7 draft picks. And if he would of waited and came out his Senior year then he would of been taken within the first 3 rounds. He will add good competition at the KR position. Considering he broke two 80+ yard returns for TD's last year.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 24, 2009 4:03:04 PM

Ahh...so you can tell the future. Love it.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 24, 2009 4:07:27 PM

IF you don't want it I'll take that Peppers Jersey. He's still da man as far as I'm concerned!! Go Pep, I'M glad to have you back!!! Have a breakout year so you can get the $ you deserve w/fans who deserve you!!!

Posted by: rawjem | Jun 24, 2009 4:07:55 PM

Cameron, this is normal for Panther picks. They usually sign the picks in reverse order from where they were drafted. You'll probably see Brown being the last one signed.

But it is good to hear that they are making progress.

Posted by: Bob | Jun 24, 2009 4:13:45 PM

I just have read alot of analysis on Munnerlyn. He came out early after his Junior year at South Carolina, where he started all 13 games and had two 80+ yard returns, one 81 yarder for a TD. Experts say he should of stayed in South Carolina because it would of helped his draft status. They estimated him next year in the first 3 rounds. Even Jon Fox told the observer about Munnerly after the draft that he was tempted to take him in the 5th round. You may think nothing of him, but remember, great players can come from later rounds, Tom Brady -6th, there are plenty others but just thought that Brady stood out most. Munnerlyn will be a developmental pick but he will add good competition at the return position.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 24, 2009 4:19:00 PM

John once Pep get's that first sack and helps lead us to a win you'll be right back on the wagaon swingin from his #$&@. It really awes me how so many act like he owes THEM something. He owes it to himself to do what he thinks is best for him, Period.
If Pep, or anyone else on this team blows out and ACL and as a result loses a step or 2 the big cat will bounce their behinds right out of BOA stadium. It's business on one hand but for Pep I think it's also personal. That's why he couldn't be bought.
He's playing to prove a point now and I believe he will.

Posted by: rawjem | Jun 24, 2009 4:21:12 PM

MP- Take it easy on him. You've been known to make predictions too. What did you predict the Panthers record would be in '08? How about your prediction on Otah? Or your prediction on D-Will's ability to be a starting RB?

Posted by: rawjem | Jun 24, 2009 4:24:46 PM

@rawjem - that's why we don't take him seriously no more.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 24, 2009 4:27:19 PM

LOL Cam. I'm one of the few here who kinda likes Procton. He gives me valuable information even if I don't agree w/his points of view all the time.

I know he likes to consider himself the expert, but he's definately good for a good discussion.

Posted by: rawjem | Jun 24, 2009 4:31:54 PM

I'm one of the many who dislikes procton just because he pushes his point to where he is labeled an ass hole. Now, he can make good discussions, I will agree with that. But he can also act like a douch bag and have everone turned against him and the harsh comments towards him always makes me laugh because he deserves it. MP - Post what you want, say your stats and predicitons, but don't hate on other people.

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 24, 2009 4:39:09 PM

I'm sure Peppers probably had one good conversation with Meeks. Meeks probably told him all I want you to do is to rush the quarterback. That's all Peppers wants to do. Not play in coverage. I'm sure that if he like this new system he will be back and sign a long term extension.

Posted by: panthersfan3303 | Jun 24, 2009 4:41:35 PM

I wonder if the Panthers won the Superbowl this year, would Peppers come back ?

Posted by: Elliot | Jun 24, 2009 4:48:01 PM

I'm a Pepper, He's a Pepper, wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?

Posted by: panfan1 | Jun 24, 2009 4:49:10 PM

PEppers loves to get off vs bad teams....With the schedule this year Watch him do nothing! just like he always does in the post season! VS! SINGLE! Blockers! at that! I can't be mad at him though he's said he doesn't want to be here! if a player says that and you retain him.....and he gives you half a** effort that's on the organization he told you what he wanted so don't get mad when he dogs! it! like he does 50% of the time.

Posted by: Cheven | Jun 24, 2009 5:00:17 PM

You have to give Hurney a lot of credit for this situation working out. He stayed on message with media (basically no message), played hardball with Peppers and forced his hand. I don't think they will trade Peppers because Fox and Hurney think that with him and Everett, and a few breaks from the injury gods, they can take this team to the Superbowls. If they trade Peppers for draft picks this becomes a rebuilding year.

Posted by: jim | Jun 24, 2009 5:02:22 PM

Good for the Panthers but MUCH better for Peppers! Not sure anyone is worth that kind of dough but more power to him. Obviously they couldn't trade him for comparable value. It is the free enterprise system at work. If he actually earns his salary, and I hope he does, I am thinking we should get at "least" 1 sack a game and 3 hurries. Any tackles he gets will be icing on the cake. If Meeks lets Peppers rush all day they will just push him to the outside and run inside the tackles all day.

Posted by: JDubs | Jun 24, 2009 5:08:12 PM

Wow, this fan base is really headed in the wrong direction,Im sure Mr Richardson is ashamed of the lack of respect for the team/franchise/players he has built for the so called fans.

D-Lo already stated the players are ashamed of the fans and I dont blame any other player on the Panthers team either,Even more-so Peppers, with thoughts that the Panthers would be a better team without him.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Jun 24, 2009 6:07:40 PM

rj, I said they'd compete for (and probably win) the division if everybody stayed healthy. I thought Otah was going to be an injury-prone player who we paid too much for and would never have the skills to be a successful LT. And I thought Williams would not be a successful starter unless he changed his game, as he did (his vast improvement was noted by almost every coach and player around the team after last offseason.) Which of those was proven wrong, exactly?

And Cameron, if you'd like to whine about how people are treated on this board, you'd do well not to throw around the personal attacks. I the issues, not the people on here.

pf3303, he dropped into coverage once or twice a game last year. That WASN'T what the issue was.

Cheven, you're right on it.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 24, 2009 6:53:29 PM

Cheven, you're right on it.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jun 24, 2009 6:53:30 PM