« Double Trouble website updated | Main | Coming Sunday: Mike Goodson »

July 31, 2009

Martin seals deal, all picks are in

The Panthers have agreed to terms with second-round pick Sherrod Martin, assuring that all of their choices will be signed before training camp opens. Agent Hadley Engelhard said it's a four-year deal, but offered no other details. Martin, a cornerback from Troy, is expected to compete to play in the Panthers' nickel defensive package and to back up starters Chris Gamble and Richard Marshall.

-- Charles  Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on July 31, 2009 at 12:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

great job FO!!! can't wait for camp!!!!

Posted by: rjk | Jul 31, 2009 12:34:58 PM

Great news. For all the grief the front office takes, they almost never have any draftee drama before or during camp. Here's hoping all these guys become contributors and they all get a Super Bowl ring in the next few years.

Posted by: TP | Jul 31, 2009 12:55:23 PM

I can't believe we got Everette Brown signed before Corvey Irvin and Sherrod Martin. It shows what kind of guy he is because he could have used the fact that we traded a 1st round pick to get him against us to get 1st round money but he didn't. Hopefully we have an injury free training camp so we can go into the Eagles game and kick their butts!

Posted by: Chump | Jul 31, 2009 1:31:21 PM

good deal, now take whatever is left over and sign mike vick

Posted by: john | Jul 31, 2009 1:36:58 PM

Great Job.....Go Panthers

Posted by: Michael | Jul 31, 2009 1:48:01 PM

The Panthers will be fine.......The true Panther fans know this.....I do agree that Peppers is not worth 18 Million + a year.. Hopefuly Brown works out and we can send Peppers packing or sign him for a lot less........

Posted by: Michael | Jul 31, 2009 1:49:35 PM

dump delhommey and sign vick daddy !!!!!!!

maybe get rid of fox

Posted by: Sean May | Jul 31, 2009 2:09:54 PM

Vick stinks and why fire the best Coach in the NFC.....I take Jake over in body in the NFC South......Even Brees....I like Jakes leadership......

Posted by: Michael D | Jul 31, 2009 2:21:38 PM

Refresh my memory, how many Super Bowls did Atlanta win while Vick was busy "redefining the position?" Playoff games? Heck, how many 5-yard slant passes did they even complete? Don't get me wrong, Vick is the best kick-returner-playing-quarterback in the league, no question...

Can't wait for the Vick nonsense to just die. I hope he goes to the Raiders so he waste away there for a while!

Posted by: Jones | Jul 31, 2009 2:23:12 PM

I agree...He is NO QB....Maybe they can convert him into a CB....Just not with the Panthers

Posted by: Michael D | Jul 31, 2009 2:26:51 PM

I agree ...Vick is no QB....Maybe they can convert him into a CB...Just not with the Panthers....

Posted by: Michael D | Jul 31, 2009 2:29:43 PM

I hope that MIKE VICK doesn't SOME HOW come back to burn us for not taking him,when we had the chance. Just think, Any NFL team for mere pennies could sign MIKE VICK and add a potential gamechanger. The outcome of MIKE VICK will be very interesting. Especially for the TEAM that signs him, and even worse for the TEAMs that chose NOT too. EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO BACK-UP QB! I just hope FOX wants him and RICHARDSON said NO.

Posted by: pjscollegefund | Jul 31, 2009 2:53:35 PM

Vick...PUH LEEEZE. Get a damn clue.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 31, 2009 3:23:43 PM

Look I'm not a Vick fan and never have been. I know the likelihood of him being signed to the Panthers is slim to none. I also hate the fact that most of his "highlights" on the field on TV are him running around making Kris Jenkins and other current/former Panthers look stupid.

But consider this... Steve Smith, DeAngelo Williams and Mick Vick (not as QB) on the field at the same time. That amount of speed would be a d-coordinators nightmare.

just saying...

Posted by: notavickfanbut | Jul 31, 2009 3:42:28 PM

People speak of Vick as if he hasn't been incarcerated for the better part of the last two years. You don't think he's rusty? Was there a inmates vs. officers league that Vick played in for two seasons like "The Longest Yard"? I'd be extremely surprised if any of the three (Richardson/Fox/Hurney) so much as blinked at the thought of considering Vick.

You know what, forget the legal problems for a second. Let's pretend that Vick played all 32 regular season games for the Falcons over the past two seasons, and never had an underground Canine Fight Club operation on his property. Then, the Falcons cut him out of nowhere. Are the Panthers interested then? I really don't think so. He doesn't fit our system! Double Trouble will give us all the rushing firepower we need. We need our QB to make defenses honor the pass, not stack the box because everyone on the other side of the ball expects a bootleg scramble.

Posted by: Newsinz | Jul 31, 2009 3:59:14 PM

Jake will do fine this year...It is not the O that I am worried about......It is the D....They took a vacation 3/4 way through our season...That worries me.......

Posted by: Michael D | Jul 31, 2009 4:17:43 PM

as panther fans we know how good this dude is on the field..we played him twice a year..remember when we had rutherford imitating vick {not manning or brady}in practice drills?..remember the superman dive?...now all of a sudden mike vick is a bum?..WOW...and for those who don't know about prison...mike was in the feds..not state or county..see when you in the feds you get to chill..meaning he ate good and his bones healed up..plus when a man comes home from prison 9 times out of 10 he's more focused than he's ever been in his life..rather he's focused on doing crime or living right..he's focused...so to me mike vick is better than matt moore and mccown put together..#7 gotta chip on his shoulder just like the panthers do..the real problem is when we get vick and the city demands that jake get benched after he throw 3 int's..the panthers don't want the fans taking sides..they'll rather stick with jake and hope he don't choke than get a proven pro bowl qb for dirt cheap to be our back up.

Posted by: shawncapri | Jul 31, 2009 4:36:44 PM

Watch the clip of Peppers chasing Vick down from behind and decide which one you really want on your team.

Posted by: Bear | Jul 31, 2009 4:50:52 PM

Slight correction: Mick Vick has always been a bum; now people also question his skills.

You know, I bet Devin Hester could juke most nose guards if he ran 20 yards straight backward every play, you wanna sign him as a quarterback? QBs have to "throw" the ball too, you know; plus backup QBs probably shouldn't require that you change your entire offensive philosophy to utilize their skillset. Oh, and since we're building our team out of thin air and nonsense, let's sign Tom Brady and Terrell Owens and see if Barry Sanders will come out of retirement to replace Nick Goings...

Man, people are stupid. There is no reason for the Panthers and Mick Vick to be mentioned in the same sentence right now.

Posted by: Jones | Jul 31, 2009 5:38:39 PM

two words why panthers won't sign vick...........rae curruth

Posted by: charles | Jul 31, 2009 5:40:51 PM

I have no idea why I just typed "mick" twice instead of "mike." Weird.

Posted by: Jones | Jul 31, 2009 5:44:29 PM

why fox couldn't pull jake during the playoffs?

Posted by: shawncapri | Jul 31, 2009 6:39:51 PM

I say sign Vick. Forget about the legal issues. Everybody deserves a second chance the bible says "HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE" I have a feeling Vick is gonna clean up his act. He has something to prove. Let him back up Delhomme and come in in special packages imagine a defense havin to contend with a backfield of D.Will, J.Stew, and M. Vick? 9 in the box! And then steve smith 1 on 1? They'd make magic! I hope vick signs wit da cats!

Posted by: snowman3 | Jul 31, 2009 7:31:16 PM

For all you folks talking about how Vick is not a quarterback...check the books and see how many times he beat the Panthers. He's a heck of alot better than anyone on the Panthers staff including Fake Delhomme.

Posted by: fasteddie | Aug 1, 2009 11:50:34 AM

I agree with your last comment snowman3...that would be a insane combination in the backfield.

Posted by: fasteddie | Aug 1, 2009 11:52:07 AM