« DE Brown signs ... | Main | Panthers tickets on sale Saturday »

July 28, 2009

Peppers' cap number exceeds $18 million

Julius Peppers' salary cap number for the coming season is higher than previously reported due to more than $1 million in likely-to-be -earned incentives that add to his $16.683 million base salary. The Observer has confirmed that Peppers' currently counts more than $18 million against the cap.

An example of a likely-to-be-earned incentive (LTBE to NFL execs and agents) is Peppers' Pro Bowl bonus of $1.5 million. It's an incentive clause that automatically carries over from his previous contract, and is considered "likely to be earned" because he made the Pro Bowl last season. If he hadn't made the Pro Bowl, it wouldn't count. Of course, if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl again, the Panthers won't actually owe him the money.

By the way, thanks to one of our loyal readers, Michael Procton, for originally mentioning this to us via e-mail a few weeks ago. It sounded right as soon as I read his e-mail, but I didn't want to post the information until we confirmed it.

-- Charles Chandler

Follow the Observer's Panthers coverage via Twitter ... @CharlesChandler and @davidscott14

Posted by Observer Sports on July 28, 2009 at 08:05 PM | Permalink

Comments

Dumb porchmonkey.

Posted by: cppro | Jul 28, 2009 8:36:55 PM

Good show Procton! Haha! Always the statistical savy as usual. Well done.

Posted by: Revshawn | Jul 28, 2009 9:56:03 PM

cppro proves racists leave their brains at the door before they leave the house, what does nonsense like that bring to a conversation.

Posted by: Rebel Flag Burner | Jul 28, 2009 10:33:26 PM

He's not worth it.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 28, 2009 10:40:02 PM

Nice going Michael Procton.

Posted by: MajorLeague | Jul 28, 2009 10:42:47 PM

Thanks for the correction. It's kind of a weird rule. But...if he doesn't make it and doesn't earn the incentive, we get a credit for the same amount next year. On the flipside, if he reaches the playoff win incentives ($250K/win), we get penalized against next year's cap. It's also an interesting way to manipulate the cap when you have lots of room at the end of the year. Special teams incentives are automatically considered to be LTBE, so you'll often see teams extend guys with crazy special teams incentives (like 10 return TDs or 8 blocked kicks) so they get the credit the following year. The Panthers did this with Na'il Diggs a few years back, and apparently there were more than 20 other teams that did it then, too.

Posted by: Michael Procton | Jul 28, 2009 10:45:12 PM

Procton is the worst

Posted by: C U Next Tuesday | Jul 29, 2009 1:38:25 AM

Procton is a loser. Not much going on with him.

Posted by: Michael Cockton | Jul 29, 2009 1:52:34 AM

Thats one rich porchmonkey you moron..bet you wish you had his banannas...and I bet he gets more monkey meat than you do!!

Posted by: bigguns | Jul 29, 2009 5:37:17 AM

I think he is a good player but he is not worth what they are paying him. I do not think any pro player is worth over 1,000,000.00 (one million) a year. Their are people out their starving and just can not afford to live and make a deceit living and they pay these people millions. Something not right about they way people think.

Posted by: Norman | Jul 29, 2009 8:01:25 AM

Porch Monkey? Wow!! Let me check my calendar...yep 2009. 2009 and someone would still use that term. I'm sure cppro will be cheering on a field full of 'porch monkeys' in a few weeks. Sad.

Posted by: rawjem | Jul 29, 2009 9:12:37 AM

cppro's comments should be removed. I've seen less get removed...

it's easy to hide behind a keyboard with your ridiculous uneducated comments you freaking racist.... I hope you slip up in public and get beaten down.

This site seems to have the most non-football related comments I have ever seen... a bunch (not all) of whiners and babies who don't sound like they know anything about the sport or OUR team.

Stick to football here or go over to facebook and waste people's time there (or to hell for that matter…)

Posted by: stupid racist comments | Jul 29, 2009 9:20:04 AM

I'm impressed. Good info Proctor.

Posted by: Steve Mort | Jul 29, 2009 9:26:32 AM

yeah I am also disappointed that all the racists decide to come on these blogs and vent there racist ideas. They hover over this website ready to pounce on anything and everything.
I do not know who Procton is, and I wonder how he has time to learn all of his statistics but it is wrong to attack him personally like has happened in this blog.

Posted by: leonard | Jul 29, 2009 9:40:18 AM

SIGN VICK

Posted by: john | Jul 29, 2009 9:49:27 AM

Of topic but...Pete Prisco ranked us 18th in the NFL Power Rankings. Really!

Posted by: Steven | Jul 29, 2009 10:38:50 AM

SIGN MIKE VICK!

Posted by: pjscollegefund | Jul 29, 2009 10:48:11 AM

Julius Peppeers is my favorite player, but in the long run paying this huge salary is killing our chances for success.

Posted by: NC Tarheel | Jul 29, 2009 11:24:07 AM

Just wondering why Stan Olson hasn't been on WFNZ's Packmans show in recent months?

Posted by: Bob | Jul 29, 2009 12:06:20 PM

DO NOT SIGN VICK!!!

Posted by: Beth | Jul 29, 2009 1:06:55 PM

Keep counting Peppers money Procton.lol.
cppro's is evidently is a brainless piece of trashwhite/black or whatever you are..You'd pee on yourself if Peppers confronted you.Punk.

Posted by: bryant80 | Jul 29, 2009 5:35:26 PM

Procton just soiled himself. His life mission now complete he did the world a favor and went to play in traffic on I-85.

Posted by: Panther 1 | Jul 29, 2009 6:57:11 PM

There's a difference between regurgitation/ extrapolation of stats found openly on the web and understanding of the game, personal and the biomechanics behind it. I wish I'd have dropped my knowledge on you guys instead of Pat Y. when he was here... about Delhomme's exact injury WEEKS before it was announced... all I got was an email of thanks:

Thanks for the info. It's nice to hear from someone that knows what they're talking about because the Panthers keep injury information as secret as a CIA operation.

But hey I'll let you know if I'm at the computer with HOURS to filter through stats and play with my calculator vs. being OUT playing the game or AT the game or using some degree of personal talent/ knowledge.

Oh and Pep. can CHOKE on that 18 plus... I hope he tastes the bitter acidity of every Zinc/ copper penny worth of it when he's RIGHTFULLY booed and jeered in the first home game! Traitorous money grubbing, season sandbagging....

Posted by: handyman | Jul 29, 2009 9:02:53 PM

Procton can suck a fat... what?

Posted by: Biscuitville | Jul 29, 2009 9:11:38 PM

Procton did your waffle house manager cut your hours?

Posted by: steve | Jul 29, 2009 9:51:24 PM