« Panthers returning to practice | Main | Godfrey's injury another blow to defense »

August 24, 2009

Godfrey breaks hand

Panthers S Charles Godfrey broke his right hand vs. Miami and had surgery. Coach John Fox says Godfrey is day to day. Also, the Panthers cut R Jason Carter and signed DB Kevin Kaesuiharn. -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on August 24, 2009 at 01:02 PM | Permalink

Comments

Read that an hour ago on rival site. http://carolinagrowl.com/

Posted by: Disgusted | Aug 24, 2009 1:09:04 PM

there are breaks and then there are BREAKS. can we have a little more info please? how long out? which hand? can he play with a soft cast?

Posted by: tgh | Aug 24, 2009 1:20:38 PM

Think Robinson should have been cut not Carter.They both made mistakes in the last game. I have no hopes in Robinson.He had a full season at KO return & had only I above average game.

Posted by: panfan1 | Aug 24, 2009 1:22:57 PM

How about signing a DT !

Posted by: dee gray | Aug 24, 2009 1:26:35 PM

Godfrey was having problems tackling with two healthy hands......I can't wait to see how horrible he is with only one good one!

Posted by: stickyd8 | Aug 24, 2009 1:27:31 PM

All these injuries are making me nervous. And poor Jason Carter; you had to like the guy.

Posted by: Jason Alston | Aug 24, 2009 1:37:13 PM

I was already feeling bad about our chances of going 8-8 this season when we lost Kemo but now I'm really starting to think we could be in for a 6-10 type season.

I hate training camp and I really hate the preseason!

Posted by: Chump | Aug 24, 2009 1:41:12 PM

Day to day with a broken hand? I thought the NFL had rules about being open and honest to keep gamblers from paying moles in the organization.

Posted by: Ben | Aug 24, 2009 1:42:38 PM

Hey stickyd, you're a real ray on sunshine, you know that? On what are you basing that stuff about Godfrey not being able to tackle? Is that just your expert analysis of the situation? Seems to me he's been doing just fine as a starting safety with the exception of the odd missed play here or there. I can only remember one obviously blown assignment that led to a TD last year off the top of my head. But seeing as how he was a rookie who was changing positions and starting immediately, I'd say cut the kid some slack!

Posted by: Jones | Aug 24, 2009 1:42:59 PM

Damn, I liked Carter. But he hasn't shown anything this preseason, so it's not surprising.

panfan1: I'm guessing Robinson is currently on the cut list when they thin the rosters.

From nbcsports:
Kevin Kaesuiharn, S: This guy is a high-impact player who will bring speed and a physical style to the back level of the secondary. If you need a dash of toughness in your secondary, you can do worse than this guy — and many teams will.

Posted by: Bob | Aug 24, 2009 1:43:33 PM

I feel bad about Carter too and agree Robinson should prolly have been the one cut. But it looks like that'll happen anyways. Good luck Jason!

Posted by: Clay | Aug 24, 2009 1:44:23 PM

Right now I'm hoping Robinson goes and Moore gets a shot at #4...or maybe #3. Ahem.

Posted by: Jones | Aug 24, 2009 1:57:06 PM

Kaesviharn is the guy who picked off Jake Delhomme in the endzone late in the 4th quarter during our '06 loss against the Bengals.

Posted by: Collin | Aug 24, 2009 2:00:54 PM

Yea we needed safety help anyway. I've never seen Salley,Teal,or Fields do anything special. Maybe a little special teams help but this new guy can do that and actually be a good starter and great backup when we get Godfrey back. I love seeing us get guys who actually have a proven career. Brayton does good for us but I didnt know what to expect when we first got him last year.

Posted by: JonDaDon | Aug 24, 2009 2:22:53 PM

This panthers capable to be The Top Team in the NFC. However, our D-Line sucks so much; we became like I-95 HWY. WE need to address The D-Line. All Three TEams in NFC South getting better Than us This year. One Last Thing, WE need to Sign Matt Jones WR; he is really good and tall and young; can replace Jarrett. If Panthers Can't Fix both D-Line and Wide Receiver. WE will be 5-11.

Posted by: Al-King | Aug 24, 2009 6:07:43 PM