« Panthers quotes from the locker room | Main | Looking back, looking ahead »

August 18, 2009

Peppers breaks silence after game

345-PANTHERS_GIANTS_28.standalone.prod_affiliate.138 Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers said after tonight's 24-17 exhibition loss to the New York Giants that it won't be easy for the team to deal with the loss of defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu, who's out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon.

"It's definitely something that we've got to try to overcome," Peppers said in his first interview since training camp opened.

"We just have to find somebody (who) can play or get somebody in here (who) can occupy some of the space that he took."

Peppers said he's had a smooth reunion with his teammates after missing minicamp and summer school practices due to a contract dispute with team officials. Peppers said in February that he wanted to go to another team, but wound up back with the Panthers after the team used its franchise tag on him.

"I came right back and got right into the groove of things, met the coaches," said Peppers. "And it went pretty smooth. There haven’t been many bumps at all.”

Peppers said he's excited about playing in the new scheme being installed by first-year defensive coordinator Ron Meeks.

"After a couple of more practices and a couple more weeks of playing, we should get some of the mistakes that were made tonight cleaned up and hopefully be a pretty good defense," he said.

Peppers said he was welcomed back by his teammates.

"I think everybody has contract situations or whatever the case may be," he said. "It has nothing to do with any personal relationships on the team or the football side of it."

The Panthers have been working Peppers at both right and left defensive end, which he said is a good idea. He started last season at right end.

"It’s a good change up," he said.

"It’s a good thing to have that type of rotation.”

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on August 18, 2009 at 12:22 AM | Permalink

Comments

Maybe Peppers can loan the team some money to get a decent dt in here. lol

Posted by: dee gray | Aug 18, 2009 12:27:23 AM

If not for lazy Peppers greed and grandstanding, the Panthers could afford to sign or trade for a decent DT. Jerk.

Posted by: Phil | Aug 18, 2009 12:55:07 AM

You can't be mad at Peppers for looking out for himself. The Panthers don't have to pay him, they chose too. And for a top DE in the entire league, I think it's worth it.

Posted by: Rico | Aug 18, 2009 1:26:35 AM

Way to go Julius! Hey man, meet me at Outback in Sacramento, I'll buy you a steak (and 3 for me)

Posted by: Sean May | Aug 18, 2009 2:37:39 AM

Sean--- LMAO! It took me a minute, but that was a good one. I just hope a trade to the Cards is not out of the question. Rico, that is exactly why we are mad at him, selfish/egotistical @#%$&!!, ...and for single-handedly doing his best to destroy the franchise, meanwhile telling the world that he will do all he can to help the team. It is people (for a lack of better words) like him that have ruined the NFL. On that note, ...GO VICK!!!

Now there is a guy that is in the position to make a huge difference in the world. Let's see what he does with it. IN the meanwhile, it will be the first time (since he played against ECU his last year with VT) that I will be rooting for the guy. It's Donkeyman McNappy that I wish would...!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Aug 18, 2009 2:48:35 AM

HI I WILL ENJOY TO SEE HOW THIS PROCESS WORK'S OUT.
RICK HANSEN

Posted by: RICK HANSEN | Aug 18, 2009 7:21:07 AM

How can anyone get excited about sorry-ass Meeks' defense? He had us playing a Cover 2 last night! WTF, that's not us! Don't bring that sorry-a$$ defense in from the Colts. It sucked in Indy and it will suck here. Also, Meeks said he's going to "strip down the defense to the basics and let the guys make plays". Well I hate to say it, but our front 4 isn't good enough to run a "basic defense" and rely on plays to be made. I hope Meeks learns the error his ways and starts to put in some blitz and cover packages that work. If not, we're in trouble. Oh, and please trade for Corey Williams from Cleveland. It's obvious we will not be successful without a veteran DT to fill in for Kemo.

With all of that being said, it was just our first preseason game, so no need to jump ship yet folks! Great teams make adjustments, so let's just see what this team does the next few weeks!

GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: stickyd8 | Aug 18, 2009 8:28:07 AM

D-Line and QB, DLINE AND QUARTERBACK..... get ready to be blaming these two deficiencies all year long.

Posted by: John | Aug 18, 2009 8:32:24 AM

Yep, just picture the scene. April 2009, Peppers and his agent talking on the phone. "Ok, we'll hold out on signing the franchise tender so they can't make a trade. Then sign and tie up all that cap space. Then half an hour into training camp when Kemo tears his achilles tendon they'll be screwed. AH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!"

That's exactly how they planned it. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Posted by: swiznami | Aug 18, 2009 9:04:50 AM

Why is everyone busting on Jake? He had two bad throws.....the one he missed Moore and the one he underthrew Jarrett. The fumble wasn't his fault at all! Other than that, he was efficient and didn't throw any INT's. It's the first preseason game and he didn't have Smitty. I like Jarrett, Smitty and Moose and thing King and Barnage will be keys this year too. We definitely need a veteran DT, but we'll find one through waivers or a trade. Also, why was NY running stunts and blitzing last night? I can honestly say, that we played straight-up man-to-man defense on every front and didn't show anything in our bag. I just hope Meeks doesn't run a soft Indy-like defense here! He doesn't have me too optimistic!

Posted by: stickyd8 | Aug 18, 2009 9:14:03 AM

Don't blame Peppers. He probably doesn't want to play for Carolina, because he feels like he's taking everything we have when he asks for a a lot of money! You go to a team with a rich owner, he doesn't care! The Redskins sign Haynesworth and didn't think twice. We give Peppers $16 million and it's like we sold the farm and we have to all start eating SPAM for dinner. It's depressing. haha

Posted by: Clay | Aug 18, 2009 9:47:41 AM

Doesn't everyone realize that last night was a preseason game? They're kind of like practice games. They don't count. The teams generally don't show anything other than to get their football team to go out and hit the other football team. And just in case you are too wrapped up in preseason games, please remember the Detroit Lions went 4-0 last preseason.

Posted by: markp | Aug 18, 2009 10:09:56 AM

It's not Peppers I am worried about. After last night's performance, I have knotts in my stomach thinking of how we possibly traded our 2010 draft pick for a 'Situational Pass Rusher'. With the decision to keep/pay JP and the loss of Kemo (not going after depth), if Brown turns into just that - a situational pass rusher, it will have turned out to be a dismal off-season.

Posted by: Easy | Aug 18, 2009 10:45:02 AM

Posted by: Easy | Aug 18, 2009 10:45:06 AM

Clay, I understand it is a pre-season game, a game in which you look at other players and identify some weak spots. #1 weak spot is Kemo gone, and there isn't anyone on the roster right now who can fill that role. #2 - SO FAR - is Brown's inability to prove his potential is anything but that of a situational pass rusher. It was ONLY the FIRST Pre-season game, though - the game is guy is young, developing, and a whole career ahead of him. He's got lots of time to prove me wrong and that he will be something special.

Posted by: Easy | Aug 18, 2009 10:48:03 AM

Posted by: Easy | Aug 18, 2009 10:48:10 AM

"Don't blame Peppers. He probably doesn't want to play for Carolina, because he feels like he's taking everything we have when he asks for a a lot of money!"
Oh yeah, he was so concerned about USwhen he refused to sign the FA tenure so we could affect the trade that he wanted. Oh yeah, he was thinking about US when he allowed the deadline to sign a contract expire recently that would make it easier to trade him next season. Yeah, he has had Carolina's best interest at heart this whole time!

Posted by: Easy | Aug 18, 2009 10:52:05 AM

Jake + Josh + Matt = 3 Stooges. Should have signed Vick

Posted by: williwonka | Aug 18, 2009 11:14:24 AM

williwonka - Take I-85 South and go back to Atlanta.. Vick was NEVER a QB,,Jake had better QB stats then Vick during the same (6) yrs they were both active..Do your research before you open your mouth..shows your age ( I am guessing 16yrs old)..

Posted by: CatsnmbrOneFan | Aug 18, 2009 12:58:46 PM

I have to admit I was very upset with the way the game ended last night. I went from euphoria when we tied the game with less than a minute to play, to stunned disbelief when Cantwell attempted a pass with 26 seconds left on the clock and starting from our own 18-yard line! Had we been on the Giants' 18, I could possibly have seen taking one shot to win the game. Given the situation, why would you not just run one play on the ground and then take a knee, take a breather, and move to overtime. That wasn't "stunning" as the media portrayed--that was STUPID!!!! I felt much better, however, when I saw both head coaches laughing after the game...after all, it was just a preseason game, but I would've LOVED to have had a crack at a win in overtime!

Posted by: Panthergirl | Aug 18, 2009 1:03:51 PM

you people that complain about the contract make me laugh..its not his fault he is franchised and thats what hes due..what he is suppose to say ehhh...thats too much, take some back...you fair weather fans are sick...if it was steve smith in same boat he would have done same thing...THEY all would...its the business....maybe if they didnt give delhomme what he makes we could get nice dt...delhomme sux but noone has problem with his contract....hes just lucky has smitty to bail him out or else he wouldnt be top 15 qb in league...pepp. next yr come down here to tampa and ill gladly pay to watch you....panther fan in tampa...go panthers

Posted by: mike | Aug 18, 2009 3:32:09 PM

Preason games in the NFL, they are just scrimmages like in middle school and high school if any of you ever played you should know...Quit given Peppers flack b/c he's being paid what they wanted to pay him, that was the Panthers choice, god help us all if he was the one that got hurt, boy ya'll haters would have a field day complaining about he's overpaid and such and such, no one ever says Jerry Richardson is overpaid or Jerry Jones, do they?

Posted by: Hater Hater | Aug 18, 2009 5:05:32 PM

Why is everyone still hating on Pep? He didn't place the franchise tag on himself. He fulfilled his contract with the Panthers. The Panthers would have had plenty of cash if they had not put the tag on him. I'm just as upset as you guys are about our salary cap situation, but it's the NFL...and the bottom line is it is a business. Every team has decisions to make and the Panthers thought it was the right move to put the tag on Pep...so now we live with it. Don't blame Pep.

Posted by: rockstarpanthersfan | Aug 18, 2009 7:49:59 PM

I'd like to see Matt Moore, yet again, get a fair shot. But Fox/Hurney are stubbornly loyal to veterans, thus why they try to keep McCown #2 as to not threaten Jake. At least let Moore play with the firsts on a series or two and get to throw to Smitty and Moose....I'd like to see it.

Posted by: Phil | Aug 18, 2009 10:04:22 PM

I can't believe we didn't sign MIKE VICK!

Posted by: pjscollegefund | Aug 19, 2009 8:54:17 AM