« Robinson miscue leads to Dolphins TD | Main | Post-game observations »

August 22, 2009

Stewart: Achilles has "ongoing pain"

Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart said he never expected his sore Achilles to cause him to miss so much practice and game time.

"I came into training camp expecting to work my way up from one-a-day (practicing) to two-a-days, but unfortunately that hasn't been the case," Stewart said Saturday night after the Panthers' exhibition at Miami. "We've just got to be smart and figure out what's going on and treat my Achilles to where it's going to be good for the team."

Stewart went through pre-game warmups in uniform Saturday, but then watched the game in street clothes. He missed the final seven practice days of training camp in Spartanburg and didn't practice with the Panthers Friday in Charlotte.

Stewart said he has "ongoing pain" in his Achilles.

"Just imagine you waking up in the morning and you have a knee problem or it’s just stiff," he said. "Every morning it’s that way, every time I walk. It’s just a nagging injury."

Stewart said he didn't know whether he'd play in the preseason.

"Ask the trainers," he said. "I’m planning on being there for sure in the regular season. We just have to play it by ear."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on August 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM | Permalink

Comments

not good at all

Posted by: jake the snake | Aug 23, 2009 12:23:22 AM

It's nothing that's his fault but Stewart is looking more and more to be one of those players that always has a nagging injury.

Posted by: Nate | Aug 23, 2009 12:27:05 AM

Two words: Mike Goodson

Posted by: Threatt | Aug 23, 2009 1:11:45 AM

Where are all those fans that were ripping Hurney and Fox for picking up another RB in the Draft...YOU never pass on a Quality RB (Like Goodson) or other skilled position...Even if you have starters in those slots... Dan Connor(LB) also looks like a great Pickup, incase Beason has to miss any time this year..It's a tough Sport, people will get hurt, that doesn't mean they are injury prone..

Posted by: CatsNMBR1Fan | Aug 23, 2009 1:50:22 AM

Sounds like fascitis to me. I've suffered the same thing for the past 8-9 years. It isn't fun. Feels like somebody hit your heel with ball bat all night when your feet hit the floor in the morning. I feel your pain JS!

Posted by: boonie63 | Aug 23, 2009 8:47:45 AM

I totally agree with CatsNMBR1Fan, it's football, people get hurt, and just because a team makes an odd draft choice doesn't mean it was a bad one, because injuries can devastate a team, they drafted players that we already had our strengths at but if someone goes down we can still remain strong at that position, in our case that position is RB. The Panthers are drafting best player available anyway, that's how they end up with so much talent. Just everyone calm down and let Mike Goodson get some reps and when the season starts Stewart should be in good shape and if he's not then we have a player who got good practice during the pre-season to split carries with D-Will.

Posted by: Cameron | Aug 23, 2009 9:41:06 AM

They just don't want to take the chance of it popping in a meaningless game. Once the regular season arrives, he'll play through it.

Posted by: Authority | Aug 23, 2009 9:49:03 AM

Sounds like plantar fascitis to me to boonie63.I have the same thing , so i hope his heals soon,they are in need of a power back like him.

Posted by: dee gray | Aug 23, 2009 10:27:23 AM

As exciting as Mike Goodson is to watch, I wonder if I wouldn't prefer to see a beast of a defensive tackle drafted to help STOP the run right about now. Watching other teams run up the gut this season won't be fun and will likely make the games seem to go on forever. I had to move away from NC but I am paying big $$$ for NFL Sunday Ticket on satellite so I can watch every minute of every game from my new home. I don't want to see opponents run, run and run some more for 1st downs and touchdowns because the Panthers don't have quality depth in the middle of the line. The best hope for new bulk in the line is the waiver wire at the end of pre-season play as if it's another round of the draft. That doesn't seem like a very good plan to me.

Posted by: FrankieB2 | Aug 23, 2009 10:59:07 AM

The Panthers knew the hand that was delt to them when they drafted Stewart over Mendenhall.

Panthers Dr's performed Stewarts toe surgery and Im sure they told him to stay off of it (the toe)and take care of it properly because it will cause problems in the long run (such as ankle/achilles problems) if it doesnt heal right.

It seems that after Stewart (knock on wood because I dont want it happening) finally tears his achilles this season that he will get it repaired but it will eventually spread into his calf/ up into the hamstring.

This isnt good at all.

Posted by: Ghost of Sparta | Aug 23, 2009 3:46:54 PM

What's really NOT good is the fact that the Panthers have NEVER made the postseason after a playoff year.

That said, with all of the injuries occuring (Beason, Kemo-out for season, JS, and Smitty) and an unpredictable J-Pep who commands 14% of the entire salary cap, we are royally going to be screwed if we don't have our starters healthy for the entire season.

Seeing two teams gouge our first team defense right up the gut for multiple yardage runs is not good. If we don't get that bottled up real fast, we'll never be able to run our game, which is coincidentally, to run the ball and control the clock.

Posted by: KLin | Aug 24, 2009 2:39:06 AM

@ FrankieB2 -

Stewart had surgery on his right big toe. This is his left Achilles tendon. How exactly has the toe surgery caused this Achilles problem?

Posted by: JB | Sep 2, 2009 8:54:39 AM