« Rumbling, stumbling ... fumbling | Main | Get Panthers updates on your cellphone »

August 27, 2009

Panthers RB Williams returns

-- Running back DeAngelo Williams, who missed Wednesday’s practice with a sore knee, was back Thursday. He wore a sleeve on his right knee but didn’t appear to be limping. Coach John Fox didn’t say whether Williams would play Saturday.

Also missing practice were running back Jonathan Stewart (Achilles), safety Nate Salley (knee) and guard C.J. Davis (ankle). Linebacker Jon Beason (sprained knee) and safety Charles Godfrey (broken hand) continue to be day-to-day, according to Fox. In Stewart and Williams’ absence, Goodson has been practicing with the first team.

“The holes close up much faster with the (first team),” said Goodson. “You’ve really got to hit it.”

-- Kicker Rhys Lloyd, who led the NFL with 30 touchbacks last season, has reached the end zone twice in his seven kicks this preseason. “I’m a little disappointed in that,” said Lloyd. “But I’ve watched film and corrected the problem.”

To be fair to Lloyd, his job isn’t necessarily about simply lining up and kicking the ball as far as he can.

“No, there’s kicking left or right, with direction, that kind of stuff,” he said. “I had a good year with it last year and I want to make sure I’m back at that level this season.”

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on August 27, 2009 at 12:33 PM | Permalink

Posted by: Stanley Nwador | Aug 27, 2009 1:24:35 PM

Posted by: Stanley Nwador | Aug 27, 2009 1:24:44 PM

Posted by: Stanley Nwador | Aug 27, 2009 1:24:48 PM

Nice spam Stanley. You fail.

I'm glad to see Williams is back, though I didn't worry at all that he wouldn't be back. The real one I'm worried about is Jonathan Stewart. It is beginning to feel like he'll need a surgery on his Achilles. If that is the case, will Mike Goodson be a good scatback to pair with the best back in the NFL?

Posted by: Revshawn | Aug 27, 2009 1:31:56 PM

“No, there’s kicking left or right, with direction, that kind of stuff,”

I had a good laugh in that part of the article. Lloyd is so full of crap it's hilarious. He gets a starting job just for that comment.

Posted by: Revshawn | Aug 27, 2009 1:33:12 PM

How long does it take for an achilles injury to heal anyways? Does it heal at all? Would it be worth it to just go ahead and get the surgery done?

Posted by: Josh | Aug 27, 2009 1:56:31 PM

I am starting to get really worried about Stewart too. Goodson better be ready to fill in. Any word on if the Panthers are going to carry 2 fullbacks? Who is ahead if only one is going to be kept Hoover or Fiamella?

Posted by: docnolz | Aug 27, 2009 2:19:26 PM

Yeah I think everyone has to be worried about JStew at this point. I mean, he only had 8 months to get healthy.....Hopefully I'm wrong.

Posted by: John | Aug 27, 2009 3:20:13 PM

Posted by: J.ERIC MITCHELL | Aug 27, 2009 3:27:39 PM

J.ERIC MITCHELL: Relax, there is no one out there yet. Wait till the week before the first regular season game.

Josh: Achilles' injuries are tricky. They'll either heal in time or blow. They haven't said it's torn, so I don't think surgery is a necessity at all. I think he'll play Week 1.

Posted by: Bob | Aug 27, 2009 4:03:07 PM

Don't forget Decori, he's big like Brandon Jacobs.

Posted by: Rock | Aug 28, 2009 10:14:10 AM