« Fox doesn't rule out #Panthers adding another QB | Main | LT Gross, C Kalil say #Panthers' O-line didn't give Delhomme a chance »

September 14, 2009

Fox regrets running screens instead of draws in #Panthers' loss to #Eagles

Highlights from Panthers coach John Fox's press conference today looking back at Sunday's 38-10 loss to Philadelphia:

Fox: Injury wise no real update. Josh is still the same prognosis, knee and foot sprain. That’s the only injury we have.

Q: Will he be able to play next Sunday at Atlanta?

A: I don’t know yet. It’ll be day to day.

Q: Have MCL and ACL injuries been ruled out?

A: Right now, they’ve told me it’s a knee and foot sprain, day to day.

Q: What have you been told about Charles Johnson and Richard Marshall?

A: Nothing on Richard Marshall.  Charles Johnson twisted his knee, but he was supposedly not on the injury report.

Q: Will you sign another quarterback this week?

A: Not necessarily. We’ve gone into a game with two quarterbacks before. I wouldn’t rule it out, but until we get a chance to see Josh, see how he heals, we’ll go from there.

Q: Looking back at Jake Delhomme's performance, is he tipping off defenders? Can you put a finger on anything he’s doing incorrectly?

A: Other than what I mentioned yesterday ... I think it’s definitely true after watching every play of the tape, it’s not just Jake. We just didn’t execute well in the passing game. A couple of those third-and-longs, I wish we’d run our patented draw instead of screens because that resulted in two touchdowns (on) one sack-fumble and one interception. It’s important not to get in those situations and when you do, sometimes bad things can happen if you’re not careful.

Q: How would assess the receivers route-running in the game?

A: I think overall we just didn’t execute well enough  in the passing game. I think that’s fairly evident. But there’s a lot of moving parts in the passing game. Obviously, the quarterback is one of them. You’ve got protections, you’ve got routes, you’ve got being in the right spot on routes. Overall, we didn’t execute very well in thet passing game.

Q: You have acknowledged significant issues with pass protection. Would you say there were significant issues with receivers running routes poorly and not being in the right place?:

A: It doesn’t take much. I don’t know how to really answer `significant.’ But if everything is not right, just like if you don’t block somebody on a run, the same thing can happen if you don’t block somebody on a pass, if you don’t get separation (on a pass route), (and) if the quarterback doesn’t deliver the ball there. It’s never just one guy.  Everybody wants it (to be so), because the quarterback’s easy to blame, but that’s not always accurate.

Q: Are you still planning on Jake being the starter this week?

A: Yes, that hasn’t changed.

Q: How secure is his hold on that job?

A: Probably like the security of all of us, day to day.

Q: Was it week-to-week before yesterday?

A: No, in this game, it’s what have you done for me lately? But that’s true at all positions. I want to be sure to clarify that.

Q: But this guy has really not played this way his whole career and the last two games have been pretty much the same story. What do you put your finger on?

A: You can go back to Tampa there, you can to go Oakland (for Delhomme's performances against them last season).  I can go to two years ago. It’s like Tiger Woods doesn’t win every (golf) tournament. (Roger) Federer doesn’t win every (tennis) tournament. There are a lot of people out there (on other teams) who practice and get paid, too.

Q: But tiger doesn’t shoot 90 in back-to-back weeks either.

A: I’d have to go back and look at that. (Laughs). I’m not going to argue with you, (but) you’re not going to be perfect every game.

Q: Are you worried about jake’s psyche given the last two games he’s played?

A: You worry about your psyche anytime you lose. It’s not the first game we’ve lost. We’ve lost two in a row before. It’s just the nature of the beast. It’s one game. After tonight, 50 percent of the league is going to be 0-1. People on the outside can make big deals out of it. They’ve made big deals out of it before. You expect it. It’s how you respond inside that room that’s key. That’s not new today (more than it was) five years ago, two years ago, one year ago. These guys all understand it. I understand it. The coaches understand it. It’s the nature of the beast. I’m more concerned about how we respond.

Q: A lot of fans in Philadelphia are clamoring about McNabb getting injured on his touchdown run when Damione Lewis and Tyler Brayton fell on him. The league has said it’s a legal play. When you looked at it, did you see anything you thought was over the top at all?

A: No. It’s a rough game. We’re not clamoring about Josh McCown. He got whacked pretty good, too. It’s tough. I’m sorry (McNabb) got hurt. I don’t like to see any player get hurt, our team or theirs. It’s unfortunate.

Q: Was your plan going in for DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart to have a pretty close split on carries?

A: Not really. As I’ve mentioned to you before, we just kind of roll guys through. Sometimes it ends up that way. I think we would have liked to have had more rushing attempts, period, but I’m not sure the game developed that way.

Q: What happened on the punt return for a toucnhdown? Did Jason Bakerr outkick the coverage? Was it poor coverage?

A: It was a combination of things. He hit the ball really well all day. I think that one was probably a little less hang time than some, but we had a gunner free there. Speaking of clamoring, we’ll turn in a particular block on that play, not to say it’ll do any good. But that’s just what we do. There were a couple of things we couldn’t done better.

Q: Did you see a block in the back on that return?

A: We have one we’re going to question. ... (But the return) was well-executed on their part and it was an excellent run by Jackson.

Q: Now that teams have seen what Philadelphia’s pressure and blitzes did to you offensively,  do you think Atlanta will step outside their normal defensive style to mimic what the Eagles did?

A: You’d have to ask them. It’s not a new revelation in this league if you’re getting something (done against you) or having problems with it, it doesn’t matter what phase of the game it is, you’d better have an answer for it, because you’ll continue to see it. I think that’s pretty well documented.

Q:  Several players talked about the need to rally around Jake. Do you think he needs that?

A: I think you’d be hard-pressed  to find a tougher guy in that locker room. I think anytime you go out there and don’t have success, whether it be as a player or team, that might be the case. But they’ll all watch that tape. There might be some of those guys you’re talking about (who said that about Delhomme) who may need consoling. I don’t know who those guys are you’re referring to, but when those guys watch it, they may need some pats on the back.

Q: You’ve said your pass protection wasn’t good enough. What specifically was it that Philadelphia was doing with its blitzes that you were having trouble with?

A: It’s the first game. People spring some things on you. That’s true in all three phases. That’s not unlike regular season openers ever, or probably will be. We didn’t execute as well as we needed to.

Q: Are you saying they threw a few blitzes at you that you hadn’t seen?

A: I’d say that’s fair to say. But there are concepts in protection. It’s not all that (complicated).

Q: On Delhomme’s sack and fumble that was returned for a touchdown, how many defenders did you count that the Eagles sent on that blitz?

A: That one was a screen. We let (an Eagles player) scot-free. Typically on a screen, you slow most of them down first. To execute a screen, a quarterback has to have vision. Obviously, it caught us off guard.

Q: Did you question Jake’s decision to let the ball go there? Should he have just held onto the ball for a sack instead of trying to pass?

A: I’m not sure he just actually let it go. But I would have preferred a lot of other outcomes.

Q: Is there a sense of relief that the next couple of games are going to be on the road given the reception by the home fans?

A: I can’t control that. The schedule has been the way it is for a while now. I know we’ve got a tough opponent to go to Atlanta. Our results weren’t very good last time we went there.

Q: When David Carr was here, you once said you didn’t want to subject him to the boos of the home crowd because of the way he’d play previously. Will it be nice to be in front of somebody else’s fans Sunday?

A: I’m not really concerned about that part of it. I’m more concened about those people (pointing in the general direction of the locker room).

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on September 14, 2009 at 02:08 PM | Permalink

Comments

I think these two upcoming road games are going to define this season.I think playing in a hostil atmosphere sometimes brings out the best in a team,lets hope that happens in Atlanta.Hoping the BOO's we hear next week are for the opposing team.

Bill

Posted by: bill dudley | Sep 14, 2009 2:34:25 PM

I was embarrassed by "my" fans that were around me at Bank of America Stadium. When my team lays an egg, and comes out with a horrible game plan, doesn't execute said plan, I do get bothered. But I never boo my team. I think the people of the Carolinas need to think what this team means to them, and if they want them gone, please keep booing.

Posted by: Raleigh Pantherfan | Sep 14, 2009 2:40:37 PM

i know everybody will come on here and bash the guy for being vague and sticking to his guns but that's the type of stuff that keeps us from having a josh mcdaniels/tom cable/jon gruden type of coach that causes more problems than he fixes. keep fox, keep jake, keep winning within reason. in the years we haven't won under those 2, injuries have been the reason. it is what is is©fox.

Posted by: charlottean | Sep 14, 2009 2:43:10 PM

i think foxy know his time is up. the realization is sinking in.

Posted by: stockholm | Sep 14, 2009 2:50:08 PM

Work sucks, I am broke and the Panthers suck!! What else can go wrong, glad I stayed in the mountians sunday

Posted by: MP | Sep 14, 2009 3:11:07 PM

This is again a reflection of the "don't care" attitude that drives me crazy about this staff. They act like nothing's wrong and nothing happened and no one questions them? "Bad day to have a bad game" Really??? How about some accountability? How about telling it like it is instead of saying "it is what it is" Not out looking for a QB right now is another in a ling line of monumental mistakes this staff has made over the years. When is enough enough?

--Disgruntled Fan

Posted by: Tired of all it | Sep 14, 2009 3:14:15 PM

I think we need a new quarterback one that knows how to release the ball and not sit back there like he is lost with happy feet and loosing the ball or throwing an interception he just sucks plain and simple. I'm sick of paying good money to watch such a sorry player.

Posted by: Leslie Townsend | Sep 14, 2009 3:18:14 PM

Good job reporting here.

It's nice to see some more aggressive questions. John Fox needs to be put on the spot and answer his questions. Well done.

Posted by: Revshawn | Sep 14, 2009 3:33:29 PM

I am usually good with predictions. If you search and find my entries in Scott Fowler's blog and some other posts here, you will see that I had predicted an Eagles rout in this one. However, that being said, I am now predicting that this team will turn around and believe it or not Jake will start playing well (like 03 to 05). All we need is to be the Division champs to get to the Playoffs and in order to do that we need to beat the Falcons, Saints and Bucs twice and add 3-4 victories (Miami, Buffalo, Washington and possibly Jets) and we can be in the playoffs. Sounds like I am drinking/dreaming? Just watch.

Posted by: Vikram | Sep 14, 2009 3:34:06 PM

I have been a season ticket holder since day one and have never booed my team but yesterday I WAS Booing Jake, i have tried and tried to stay positive with him and he continues to let me down. To the rest of the team the boos were not directed at you or the organization just one man and one man alone!!!!

Posted by: Pantherhill | Sep 14, 2009 3:39:16 PM

I believe Fox and Jake can still redeem themselves. John Fox can break down game tape as good as anyone, but he still is subject to surprises. I think we will be ok after they have some time to analyze their opponents.

I think the Panthers weakness is that they are too consistent. They need a few wrinkles and Jake needs to keep his tongue from hanging out. Everytime he is going to pass, he is biting his tongue.

Please incorporate a few tricks, stop telegraphing the intentions of the offense.

Maybe Davidson should stay up top and get a birds eye view of the defense. Most O.C.'s are not on the field and I think for this reason. We are not reading the defenses as well.

Stay with the run game even if behind. We were still getting 3 - 4 yards after the eagles shut down the passing. We could have worn them down in two long drives and then did whatever we wanted. Fox used to preach not losing focus in 2005-2007 and staying with the run, please return to form.

Still a faithful fan.
Tony

Posted by: Tony | Sep 14, 2009 3:39:42 PM

Raleigh Panthers Fan....stick to the Hurricanes or Wolfpack. I pay a great deal of money....I can doo if I want. ou want to pay my PSL fees....I'll gladly quit the booing. Let me know, I'll give you my address.

Posted by: Brian Fransco | Sep 14, 2009 3:40:55 PM

What I heard from this?

I know he has to try and make his QB feel a little better but dang he blamed everyone on the team but Jake...wr's ran bad routes the O-line didnt block very well...are you kidding? thats why the Panthers are where they are now for not seeing the reality of the situation..Jake just isn't very good...maybe the blame should go to the O coordinator for calling plays that take too long to develop...hmm?...people now know if they bring the house Jake is gonna get scared and throw like an idiot...get ready because everybody and their mothers will be doing this to us....3 step drop-THROW or throw it away...then every once in awhile go long...throw on 1st down more...mix it up...the whole NFL knows the Panthers offensive game plan...wayyyy to easy.

Also heard...and no matter what...Jake is our QB...Fox's biggest issue is he just doesnt have the abilty or the desire to switch up his game plans...thats why he needs to go away...IF guys are not prepared to run the proper routes...coaches fault...IF the line is not blocking properly...coaches fault...if guys arent fired up to play...coaches fault...if QB is a headcase and we should be looking elsewhere and dont...coaches fault...

How many time the past few years have people commented on the players just not being fired up and ready to play...they look lazy...they just dont look like they care?....tousands of times...coaches fault...so he is right not just Jakes fault I put alot of the blame on Coach too.

Posted by: jason king | Sep 14, 2009 3:51:23 PM

Fox is as sly as a Fox. Of course you realize he doesn't really care what we think of his decisions since he has a contract.He answers the questions very sarcastically and really has no clue how to fix Jake. Maybe he could use Tom Knotts from Independence High. Fox will do the same thing he did against Philly, but just pray that he is playing against dumber less athletic players in Atlanta. Jake will sacked 9 times because NOW he will be afraid to throw the ball unless the receiver is covered Muggy Bowes. PLEASE Fox is a numbskull and his locker room is waiting for him to get fired. I wish him well, but he's gotten tired of trying to win it here. FACE IT. the guyis out of ideas and Energy. Isn't it obvious

Posted by: Sid | Sep 14, 2009 3:53:43 PM

go panthers!!

Posted by: fred | Sep 14, 2009 4:22:02 PM

Fox doesn't even blame Jake at all. I don't understand.

Posted by: fred | Sep 14, 2009 4:24:06 PM

I think John Fox needs to be more worried about what the fans think since it is the general perception, not to mention are the ones that support his paycheck. He is definitely losing his grip!

Posted by: Pat | Sep 14, 2009 5:00:40 PM

ON MANY OCCASIONS IT HAS BEEN SAID THAT "JOHN FOX IS A NICE MAN".
MY FATHER WAS ALSO A NICE MAN BUT HE COULDN'T COACH EITHER.
I FEEL VERY SORRY FOR MR RICHARDSON AND THE DECISION HE WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO MAKE REGARDING FOX.

Posted by: ARTHUR | Sep 14, 2009 6:02:10 PM

We should have gotten Michael Vick. We will never win a superbowl as long as we have Jake :(

Posted by: True Words | Sep 14, 2009 6:47:37 PM

At last he didn't say,

They're who we thought they were...lol

Seriously, didn't the Cardinals do the samething in the playoffs...

Playoffs, Playoffs, I just hope we can win a game!

Posted by: Jrock | Sep 14, 2009 8:15:25 PM

You mean the great John Fox who is going to get canned actually took some of the blame himself. Go away Fox and Hurney.

Posted by: Wiggles | Sep 14, 2009 8:56:26 PM