« Some QBs available in case #Panthers go shopping | Main | Was hit that broke McNabb's rib late? »

September 13, 2009

Fox says Delhomme still #Panthers' top option at QB

Carolina coach John Fox was asked after Sunday's 38-10 loss to Philadelphia who he's starting at quarterback is for next week's game at Atlanta. His options could be limited because backup Josh McCown suffered knee and foot injuries in limited action against the Eagles.

Here's the way Fox responded to the question:

"Obviously, I think we start back with Jake. I think we’ve got to go back and evaluate what happened to us. Personally, after not seeing the tape, I don’t think that’s all Jake’s fault."

Fox cited the Panthers' pass protection problems.

"I think it’s uncomfortable playing quarterack when you’re getting sacked, knocked around," said Fox.

Delhomme, who had four interceptions and a fumble, was quick to say he played poorly, but made it clear he wants to remain the starter.

"I hope so," he said. "I'm not looking for the easy way out, (for the Panthers to) play somebody else and I can sick on the sidelines and lick my wounds. I'd love to be out there. I hope to be out there and I'm going to go back to work. That's me."

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on September 13, 2009 at 05:55 PM | Permalink

Comments

Obiviously you start the guy who has almost single handedly BLOWN your last two games and sucked the life out of his team and the fans. THAT IS CLEARLY WHAT ANY SENSIBLE PERSON WOULD DO!

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING, YOU STUBBORN OLD YANKEE!!!

Posted by: jeff | Sep 13, 2009 6:04:53 PM

Jackass Fox just keeps defending his star Joke Delhomme. Finishing last or next to last isn't going to help because we don't have a number one draft pick.

Posted by: NC Tarheel | Sep 13, 2009 6:05:07 PM

Fox will be gone after week 7

Posted by: IceWhiteice | Sep 13, 2009 6:06:43 PM

CAUSE OF INT:
"They got good pressure, and we didn't respond to it. Give them credit. You know what? This is the NFL. If we didn't deal with it this week, we're going to see a lot more next week."

ARE YOU SERIOUS JAKE!?! NOW YOU'RE GONNA BLAME YOUR OFFENSIVE LINE FOR YOUR PI$$-POOR ACCURACY AND DICISION MAKING!?! I wasn't going to say anything bad about the guy, believe it or not, but what a Jacka$$! HEY JAKE, MAYBE IF YOU QUIT PLAYING WITH HORSES AND SHOVELING THEIR THOUGHTS OF YOU DURING THE OFFSEASON AND STARTED THROWING BALLS IN BARRELS (AND TIRES) MORE OFTEN, THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN!!!
Surely you can afford some barrels and tires with $20M guaranteed.

BTW, those of you who are going to recite everything you hear and read as if that makes you intelligent, please at least try thinking for yourself about it before you go around saying that Fox resigned a 36+ year old QB with an ailing throwing arm and a pathetic performance all season who, BTW, WAS STILL UNDER CONTRACT!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | September 13, 2009 at 06:04 PM

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 13, 2009 6:09:03 PM

White ice, keep smoking your meth and leave the thinking to others that matter. Despite what the sellout so-called reporters have conditioned you to believe these past few months, it was not Fox who signed the Bojangles walking billboard to a ridiculous extension. WAKE UP!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 13, 2009 6:10:46 PM

CAUSE OF INT:

Surely you can afford some barrels and tires with $20M guaranteed.

Posted by: SYRPIS | September 13, 2009 at 06:04 PM

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 13, 2009 6:10:53 PM

Well of course he's going to start Jake. That's how he has this whole QB situation set up. Since Jake was the starter Fox and Hurney have never brought in a QB that got to actually compete for the position. You know why? Because Fox doesn't value the QB position. We have Jake and back up stiffs. Have back up stiffs at QB gives FOX the out. Fox can always say, Jake is still the best QB on our team, and that keeps him from having to address why there isn't another QB waiting in the wings. Look at the contract they gave Jake! Fox and Hurney have no intention of upgrading the QB position in the near future. That's a tactical error on their part.

Posted by: JohnnyCornbread | Sep 13, 2009 6:12:02 PM

By your arugment, "CORNBREAD," if Fox doesn't value QB's, then he obviously can't be the one that signed him to the extenstion and gave him not competition, despite what these sellout hacks want to condition you to believe. The fact is simple, "JAKE SELLS BISCUITS!!!" Right cornbread?

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 13, 2009 6:16:47 PM

@SYRPIS -

WAY TO GO, MAN!!! The deal Jake signed is heavily back laoded and 2009 cap friendly. HE DID THE TEAM A FAVOR!!!

As for today, Jake is now officially toast. I was hoping Fox would yank him at halftime a la Rodney Peete. I was begging for it, as a matter of fact.

Now...what to do next. I'm betting McCown is done for the year. We're going to be left with Moore and Jake, neither of which thrills me. You guys may scream for Moore, but I'm just not so sure he's the solution. Personally, I'd like to see the team chase Garcia down. He may be w West Coast QB, but at least he can move and keep plays alive.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 13, 2009 6:17:17 PM

I drive to Charlotte: pay to park: pay to eat: pay to drink: and pay YOU to entertain me. You make more money in one day than I do in a year. Some of you make more every down that you play then we, the fans, earn in a year. If any of you think that you earned you money today, you will not find a fan to agree. I know that some Panthers will read this but, I don't think that any Panthers care.

Posted by: JustAfanNtheStands | Sep 13, 2009 6:27:42 PM

@sypris

That's funny. Let me clarify. Fox doesn't value the QB position because to him, the QB is a "manager" not a leader. Fox want's to run run run. Notice how he values the RB position? Since Fox, we've always had a tandem. Davis and Foster. Foster and DeWill. DeWill and Stewart. He used his RB's to push each other. The same goes for the linemen. Kemo is a freak accident, but our LB's can mitigate to sum degree our poor DL until he can get that fixed. Our OL is about as good as it's ever been under fox. But who has Fox ever brought in to compete for the QB position? Carr probably came the closest but he was no challenge to Jake. Passing on Vick is proof. Vick was garage sale cheap (1.6 million) and we passed on him. Vick could compete for the QB job with Jake. McCown and Moore are not competing for the position. In fact, Fox will use them as excuses for playing Jake. He'll say that Jake is still the best QB we have on the team (like he always does every year) and he's right. But that's by DESIGN. That's the way FOX wants it to be. Right now, Jake would make a great back up, but not a starter.

Posted by: JohnnyCornbread | Sep 13, 2009 6:31:38 PM

i think the question should be "Who is the starting coach next week?".
Really, I'm tired of watching this train wreck.
Hey, Peppers, get in there and earn your $$. What are you doing, racing the guy down the field?
Jake, practice getting the ball to your man.
It's simple, if it's broke, YOU FIX IT!

Posted by: kp | Sep 13, 2009 6:35:23 PM

I thought that the playoffs were one of the saddest days in Panther history but today was worse because every fan wants to hope that the BS of pre-season is just that but for Charlotte it is not! We all know the reality of the facts, Peppers, Jake, losing good players who want to go somewhere they have a chance to move forward. It is like the old saying it is not a rut it is a hole!!!! If Richardson, Fox, etcd dont get it together we are going to see a lot more problems than today....players are going to become so unhappy and play is going to be affected more than jsut signing Peppers to a deal or leaving Jake in at quarterback...it is called "Mutiny" and this season will be TOAST and we will look at losing the good ones, Williams, Smith, etc.....we all know the score (a Pun Intended) for sure!!!!

Posted by: just can't stand to watch | Sep 13, 2009 6:35:36 PM

Of course Fox is going to say that. It's because he is right and everyone else is wrong. This poor preparation for this game shows you that the 0-4 preseason was not a fluke but a vision of things to come. The only bright spot that I saw was Julius Peppers. So many people have been bad mouthing him and I hope he put notice to the way he will spend his last year with the Panther's. This was totally poor coaching. There is no one to blame besides Fox. You know....it is what it is.....

Posted by: Steve Gilmore | Sep 13, 2009 6:36:41 PM

Why is Jake still our QB? Why is Fox still our coach?

Do we need Richardson to die to get rid of Fox? Just sayin....

It is what it is.

Posted by: OneAndFifteen | Sep 13, 2009 6:45:48 PM

This is why Fox will be gone next year. I love Fox, but have NEVER liked Jake. I cannot believe it took this long to bench him. There is no one that has been groomed for the QB position. Jake is a total JOKE!!! Yes, the offensive line is to blame as well. If you look at ALL 3 QB stats...they were bad. I just don't understand why Jake is still around. How many more chances does he get? Panthers...PLEASE GET RID OF HIM AND GET SOMEONE THAT CAN PLAY.

Posted by: David | Sep 13, 2009 6:47:35 PM

No Jake your time is up, start Moore Fox!

Posted by: Kyle | Sep 13, 2009 6:49:05 PM

Sorry Carolina fans but I'm here to stay. I just signed a fat five-year $42.5 million extension with $20 million guaranteed and I have every intention of playing it out. I will be your starting QB all the way until 2014. Go Panthers!

Sincerely Jake Delhomme

Posted by: Jake Delhomme | Sep 13, 2009 6:51:54 PM

What makes me most sick to my stomach...is I feel like we will have wasted the awesome talent of Steve Smith, Deangelo Williams, Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, Jon Stewart etc... before our teams management realizes that we need a change. Everyones getting older, its really ashame to see all of that Super Bowl talent go down the toilet because of "so called loyalty!"

Posted by: Pat | Sep 13, 2009 7:02:17 PM

Start Jake! Start Jake! Panthers fans, we will demolish you guys next wk, good to see yall fail to start the season. Til next week...adios

Posted by: Atlanta Falcons next week | Sep 13, 2009 7:16:06 PM

Well the only bright spots was Deangelo Williams on offense and Julius Peppers on defense!! 38-10 loss was all Jake fault, get real people and I don't pull for Panthers

Posted by: bigdogg | Sep 13, 2009 7:16:42 PM

NOBODY in the Panthers' organization cares what any of us think----I think it would be cool if we(media, fans, etc.) don't even mention Jake's name at all next week. Just act like the guy doesn't even exist. It would serve two purposes it seems to me--1)begin the healing process for the fans which is long overdue after suffering with this guy as our quarterback and 2) we wouldn't have to hear Fox tell us "it is what it is" when he announces Jake as his guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jv | Sep 13, 2009 7:16:48 PM

Fox is completely clueless. Jake could throw five consecutive picks, and he would say he's his QB. Pathetic.

Posted by: heelatious | Sep 13, 2009 7:17:21 PM

Meanwhile, Peppers made about $300,000 per tackle today. Not bad work if you can find a sucker to pay you.

Between Jake and Julius they make well over 2mil per game- I wonder how much line help that would buy?

Posted by: koolaidmansux | Sep 13, 2009 7:18:43 PM

The Panthers played the same way they did against the Cardinals and show no improvement. The offensive line was horrible and they cannot depend on Jake to win games for them.

Posted by: John | Sep 13, 2009 7:20:58 PM