« Panthers trade for DT Leonard | Main | Panthers not changing hands »

September 01, 2009

Mark, Jon Richardson resign

The Panthers announced today that Mark and Jon Richardson have resigned as presidents of the team and stadium, respectively. Both will remain members of the franchise's ownership partnership group. "Both Mark and Jon made great contributions to the stadium and team that have enabled us to enjoy much success over the last 15 years," said owner Jerry Richardson, their father. "At the same time, I am thankful that we have a staff that has been in place for many years and knows our philosophy." No reason was given for the resignations. -- Charles Chandler and David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on September 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM | Permalink

Comments

I guess they thought the team looked like sh** too!

Posted by: Celery | Sep 1, 2009 12:32:38 PM

This is really bad news. Either there is family infighting about something or the team could be going up for sale. I hope the former, at least, and really fear the latter.

Posted by: Dan | Sep 1, 2009 12:34:02 PM

Hopefully Delhomme will follow their lead.

Posted by: Marty Hurney | Sep 1, 2009 12:37:55 PM

Part of the founding family is bailing. This cannot possibly be anything but bad.

Posted by: J | Sep 1, 2009 12:42:03 PM

I am using this forum to announce that I will step down as head coach for the Carolina Panthers to pursue my life long dream of being a member of the Blue Man Group.

Posted by: John Fox | Sep 1, 2009 12:42:39 PM

Anybody need a big fat defensive tackle? Football isn't my sport but I'm willing to learn.

Posted by: Sean May | Sep 1, 2009 12:47:05 PM

The Panthers will be sold this year!

Posted by: MJ | Sep 1, 2009 12:47:48 PM

Wonder Why? Its possible the team may have to be sold to raise money for the taxes of Richardson's estate should he die. But why would his sons have to resign while he is still living. Maybe there is a family dispute or the other owners have put pressure on Jerry to make this move. Very strange.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 1, 2009 12:50:22 PM

I agree that this can't be good news.

I think we've sometimes taken for granted what a good owner Jerry Richardson has been, but he has done an outstanding job. After slimy George Shinn, he was a breath of fresh air. I'd hate to see the Richardsons sell the team.

Posted by: Gboro cats fan | Sep 1, 2009 12:52:52 PM

Sell when your 12-4 or 7-9 (worst)..When it the best time to sell? Plus the high payroll coming and Richardson's health..Hmmmm....

Posted by: MJ | Sep 1, 2009 12:54:11 PM

I guess the sky really is falling. So glad I'm not much of a football fan.

Posted by: Dtownres | Sep 1, 2009 1:04:14 PM

It looks like that rumor is true; the one that says once Bob Johnson gets rid of the Bobcats, he's ready to take on the NFL's Panthers and turn them around. LMAO!

Posted by: DC Almighty | Sep 1, 2009 1:04:35 PM

Posted by: MJ | Sep 1, 2009 12:54:11 PM

I guess the sky really is falling. So glad I'm not much of a football fan.

So why post?
Why click into and read a football column and then post that your not much of a football fan?
You offer nothing to the topic except to say you're not a fan.

Posted by: Teddy Ballgame | Sep 1, 2009 1:10:03 PM

Wow! Now if they could only get rid of the wicked witch in their HR office!

Posted by: TJ | Sep 1, 2009 1:13:36 PM

I hate to see a sex scandal tear the panthers and this set of brothers apart like this.

My prayers are with the family.

Posted by: Sean May | Sep 1, 2009 1:15:41 PM

You people kill me......So What....New Management.....New ideas.....The sky is not falling.....Last time I checked them two don't play on Sunday.....

Posted by: Michael D | Sep 1, 2009 1:16:23 PM

How does one apply for the open position?

Posted by: Matt Millen | Sep 1, 2009 1:44:01 PM

Teddy Ballgame you are a TOOL and a panther HOMER...

i never said the sky was falling that was Dtownres ...

i said

The Panthers will be sold this year!

and

Posted by: MJ | Sep 1, 2009 1:44:17 PM

YAY better chances for Tampa to not get a beat down this year!

Posted by: SONOFBUCSTER | Sep 1, 2009 1:45:10 PM

Once again I come to this site to find people bashing the Panthers or the organization in general. If you really aren't a Panthers fan, please explain why you read this column. At the end of the day you need new blood in every organization.

Posted by: RealPantherFan | Sep 1, 2009 1:51:16 PM

Surprising. Not sure what it means.

Jon, as stadium corporation president, has ALWAYS been a true gentleman and an unbelieveably competent and courteous executive. Remember, he had a pretty serious bout with cancer a few years ago...maybe he's seeing the value of family and a respite from the demands of such a challenging job.

Mark was sort of a "bad boy" playboy at the beginning, somebody whom I credited with some of the team's bad decisions back in the Capers days when Bill Polian was shafted by the organization and Mark seemed to be in way over his head just because Daddy put him in charge. It seems that Mark may have grown up quite a bit in recent years, but nobody really knows what motivates people.

Best wishes to both of them.

Posted by: rick b | Sep 1, 2009 2:08:33 PM

Can we now get Rosinski back please?

Posted by: Celery | Sep 1, 2009 2:39:09 PM

Mark and Jon Richardson: "Daddy, we didn't want to bother you while you were ill, but guess what....We gave Jake $20 million guaranteed."

Jerry Richardson: "Your fired." (And the sound of the defibulator kicks in in the background.)

Posted by: Ding Dong | Sep 1, 2009 2:46:51 PM

No huge loss there... clearly the class of the organization is Jerry and always will. Sometimes family can get in the way and get nasty... just look at the DeBartolos (49ers) and the Browns. (Bengals)

The exception to the rule has been the Rooney Family

Posted by: Frank | Sep 1, 2009 2:47:07 PM

I remember Final Four '94, Richardson was walking around Uptown with his Panthers jacket on - big man, big grin, bringing big things to Charlotte. It was fun thinking of what was to come. Love the Panthers and hopefully Richardson will hold to 'em as long as he can.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 1, 2009 3:14:06 PM