« Only 22 of 160 #NFL teams who've started 0-2 since 1990 made the playoffs | Main | Friday's Panthers links »

September 17, 2009

#Panthers' Smith gives Jake 'pep talk'

-- Receiver Steve Smith wore a microphone for NFL Films during the Eagles game and a “pep talk” he gave quarterback Jake Delhomme caused a bit of an Internet sensation Thursday.

“Hey, I know you feel like crap,” Smith said to a slightly stunned-looking Delhomme, who was in the midst of a four-interception day. “I mean you’re not a very handsome guy anyways, but the performer, the quarterback?  I never really liked you as a quarterback.  But as a person, I love you as a person.”

Rest assured Smith’s words came with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 17, 2009 at 05:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

That clip was great. Esp. when he was talkin to Dwil, then Dwil flipped the script later. That showed good leadership and faith in Smitty. Which is exactly what Jake needs if he's gonna be starting for us, because the Lord knows some of the fans don't believe or have faith! I'm lookin for a totally different Panther TEAM to show up on Sunday. Whether you like to believe it or not!

Posted by: PantherNation | Sep 17, 2009 5:21:02 PM

Great job SMITH!!!

Posted by: bryant80 | Sep 17, 2009 5:30:08 PM

I wish he would have made one of Jake's teeth loose after them crappy throws(for you Jake homers, that is only a joke). You can clearly see he was tightly covered in about all those throws. Hats off to Smitty for being a great teammate.

Posted by: wayne | Sep 17, 2009 6:05:45 PM

Great clip. Steve Smith and DeAngelo Williams are great guys for sure.

Posted by: capfolly | Sep 17, 2009 6:09:16 PM

Its a shame Steve is out there killing himself and for what? Could you imagine if he had a QB like Manning or Brady? Steve Smith would lead the league in receptions every year. How poor was the pass behind Smith that was intercepted. I feel sorry for the guy. He says all the right things when you know in the back of his mind he is thinking I gotta get out of here.

Posted by: krd | Sep 17, 2009 6:12:55 PM

Guess I can only quote one of the worst songs to come out during my generation.... "lol :-)"

Posted by: EricH | Sep 17, 2009 6:20:40 PM

Love Smitty keeping it loose!!!
Sunday is the day we see the Jake we all know and love!!!
For all of the doubters on the board: if you can't get behind Jake then go get under a garbage truck!

PAAAAAANTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SouthFloridaPanthersFanClub | Sep 17, 2009 6:21:18 PM

Great clip man you'll saw how great of a releationship are team have which make me believe we still have a great chance to do something special.

Posted by: Telling Like It Is | Sep 17, 2009 6:40:16 PM

It's foolish to think that Steve Smith would be that much better with Manning or Brady. Little newsflash folks: you don't get much better than 1,400 yards in a season at WR. Manning and Brady spread the ball around to an array of targets. Jake's always looking to get Smitty the ball. That's why he puts up the monster numbers. If we had Manning or Brady, we'd probably see a decrease in turnovers and a rise in production from our other receivers. I could make a strong case that 89's production would drop noticably with a top tier QB.

Posted by: bigdave7567 | Sep 17, 2009 7:01:27 PM

I could make a strong case that 89's production is going to skyrocket when Jake returns to top tier status on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: SouthFloridaPanthersFanClub | Sep 17, 2009 7:09:48 PM

He should haved talked to the o-line.

Posted by: dee gray | Sep 17, 2009 7:33:36 PM

I want to believe it so badly, SFPFC!!!

Posted by: bigdave7567 | Sep 17, 2009 8:49:34 PM

Cute, maybe. But not so sure if I'd call that "firmly planted"!!

Posted by: junque | Sep 17, 2009 9:02:48 PM

That throw that was behind Smitty that was picked off was tipped at the line of scrimmage. I saw that as soon as it happened on Sunday, but the commentators never mentioned it. They just kept saying how bad of a throw it was.

Steve even says in this video clip that the pass got tipped.

Posted by: appstategrad | Sep 17, 2009 9:19:18 PM

Man I love Jake but he's totally lost it.

Sucks.

Posted by: Amazed | Sep 17, 2009 9:53:19 PM

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Posted by: ctbarton | Sep 17, 2009 9:59:45 PM

Cool to get a view into Smitty and Jake's relationship there at the end of the clip. He was frustrated, but he was also hurting for his QB.

By the way, does Jake say in that clip "go make a play for him?" in reference to McCown?

Posted by: PantherinTuscaloosa | Sep 17, 2009 10:06:55 PM

HEY NATION WHAT DOES HAVING FAITH HAVE TO DO WITH FAN'S OPINION OF JAKE'S PLAY? Now, if you don't write positive things about Jake, you are a heathen?? are you serious. I hope I just misunderstood you because as someone who was mostly raised in the South, you just may be embarrassing me.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Sep 17, 2009 11:14:51 PM

Ummm I think it was meant to be Faith in Jake and/or the Panthers.

Posted by: heelsrule | Sep 18, 2009 12:19:28 AM

That's why I love Steve. What a competitor. That last interception was underthrown by five yards. Jake better pick up because Fox will not bench him. The play calling has to get better too. Why don't we have more 6 snd 7 yard passing plays? More usage of tight ends and backs. Jake has his laser eyes locked on his target. No pump fakes....and no movement.

Posted by: Steve Gilmore | Sep 18, 2009 12:22:45 AM

Is Delhomme superman? in the 1 play, he threw to Smith & it was intercepted, smith chased the player till he was tackled & Smith immediately ran out of bounds, & there stood Delhomme who already had his helmet off like he was an innocent bystander. All them know Jake is done, Smith telling Williams if he wants to "bomb" to do it on him, then Williams telling Smith he can "bomb" on him, thats all so they dont beat Jakes ass. And whoever it was that said a Brady would spread the ball around & it would lower Smiths receptions or yardage is retarded, Smith wouldnt get it thrown to him every throw, but every throw to him would be to him not 5 yards behind him, making his receptions about the same and raising e1 elses reception amounts.

Posted by: mrbernz | Sep 18, 2009 12:32:53 AM

Ok maybe saying theyre retarded was a little harsh, but other than that i think i got my point across.

Posted by: mrbernz | Sep 18, 2009 12:34:58 AM

That was great. How could you not be a fan of Smitty after seeing this clip. Great job trying to keep everyone loose. Yes, it was a bad game but it is just 1 game. Let's hope the O-line gets it together and Jake has gotten his awful game out of the way in Week 1 instead of in the playoffs. After watching this game again, the o-line was AWFUL! At one point Jake had just gotten the snap took a step back and had a defender draped all over him. With that kind of consitent pressure all day long it is no wonder Jake was throwing inaccurately. This is a good group of guys, let's hope they get it together this week. Go Panthers!

Posted by: Brian | Sep 18, 2009 6:50:31 AM

IT'S GREAT TO SEE THAT OUR PLAYERS ARE OUT THERE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT ACTING THAN PLAYING FOOTBALL.

Posted by: PLAYBALL | Sep 18, 2009 8:03:26 AM

That was so cool. It really shed a totally different light on Steve Smith man. You would expect him to be screaming and upset that the balls were all badly placed but he is there encouraging his teammates to keep their heads. Wow! This guy has become a true leader. This was something special to see from this guy.

Posted by: Mike James | Sep 18, 2009 9:54:48 AM