« Moose speaks on changes at the top | Main | Wednesday's Panthers links »

September 01, 2009

Salley placed on I.R.; Panthers down to 75

The Panthers placed safety Nate Salley on injured reserve today after releasing rookie defensive tackle Lonnie Harvey. That brings the team's roster down to the required 75 players. They will release 22 more on Saturday to get to their roster down to 53 players for the regular season.

Salley injured his knee in training camp and hasn't practiced for several days.

Safety Charles Godfrey was back at practice Tuesday wearing a protective cast on his broken left hand.  -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on September 1, 2009 at 04:33 PM | Permalink

Comments

The Panthers have traded for Cleveland DT Louis Leonard. WAKE UP OBSERVER!!!

Posted by: I got Deangelo at #7 | Sep 1, 2009 5:06:41 PM

I got Deangelo...
We had this several hours ago. Here's the link.

Posted by: David Scott | Sep 1, 2009 5:13:52 PM

What does the team see in Nate Salley, this is the 2nd time he has been put on IR in his career and I believe the other year or so he has be healthy he has only be a special teamer.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 1, 2009 5:22:13 PM

good job panthers, please play hunter this week

Posted by: jamie | Sep 1, 2009 5:28:19 PM

Given the Panther's sad cap situation, how can it possibly be a good idea to carry this guy and his $1 million dollar salary?

Posted by: dogear | Sep 1, 2009 5:30:06 PM

I cant believe the Raleigh News and Observer beat you guys on 2 big Panther stories today.Like below postersaid wake UP!lol

Posted by: bryant80 | Sep 1, 2009 5:37:59 PM

Hopefully an injury settlement is in the works.

Posted by: dogear | Sep 1, 2009 5:38:52 PM

Yes, folks. You can't cut an injured player. Salley has to be healthy before he can be a cut, so instead, they put him on IR and will reach a settlement later on. He's done as a Panther.

Posted by: Authority | Sep 1, 2009 6:01:34 PM

David Scott:

The article on trading for Louis Leonard STILL SAYS DE. LOL... He is a DT.

Posted by: STH | Sep 1, 2009 6:19:19 PM

sth - louis leonard was a DE in the cleveland 3-4, he's going to be a DT with us. Get over yourself.

What a waste of 1M Sally was.

Posted by: jb | Sep 1, 2009 6:22:10 PM

JB:

They now fixed it, it says DT which is the CORRECT heading.

Posted by: STH | Sep 1, 2009 6:47:35 PM

STH,
You really have issues! You really sit here and watch for what you think is an error. Actually, if you look on cleveland browns website, they have him listed as a DE, because of the 3-4 D they run. SO they did trade for a DE, but they will make him a DT in our system. Meaning, the paper has it right, and you are wrong. Which I am sure you are use to. Now go ask your mommy to fix you dinner, so you can go to bed by your bed time!

Posted by: getwithit | Sep 1, 2009 6:58:56 PM

You guys argue over meaningless stuff. DE vs DT title, get a grip. Glad Nate is gone & Louis is hired. Time to focus on more hirings/ firings. Dump McCown, takes up valuabe roster space & costing us 3 mill against the cap.

Posted by: williwonka | Sep 1, 2009 9:50:34 PM

Im with you about Nate Salley. I just dont understand why they're trying to keep him. HE SUCKS!!! When is he ever not injured. Anytime I read about him or hear about him, he makes me wish that we had kept Colin Branch instead. He had more potential than this guy. I also think Colin had more potential than Charles Godfrey. Charles is so overrated. I pray that they let Nate Salley go, like everyone is saying. He is such a waste. Hopefully, Sherrod Martin can do something, with him being hurt I dont know if he's playing cornerback or safety.

Posted by: afrocelticboy | Sep 1, 2009 11:22:40 PM

Thanks for the updates, guys.

Posted by: emlit | Sep 2, 2009 7:40:48 AM

It's starting to look like a season w/out Jonathan Stewart.

Posted by: John | Sep 2, 2009 10:47:26 AM

I trust I'm not the only one wondering why there has been little to no information about Stewart? All that has been reported has been limited to the following:

1. Achilles is sore, didn't practice
2. Achilles is sore, didn't practice but REALLY wants to play
3. Excused from practice for "personal reasons."

Any chance someone, i.e. The Observer, can do their job and tell us what the hell is really going on with this guy?

Posted by: pantherfaninyankeeland | Sep 2, 2009 3:05:10 PM