« Fox says Delhomme still #Panthers' top option at QB | Main | Eagles at Panthers game coverage links »

September 13, 2009

Was hit that broke McNabb's rib late?

Talk radio and others in Philadelphia are suggesting that the hit on Donovan McNabb that broke his rib, by the Panthers Tyler Brayton and Damione Lewis, was late. Judge for yourself, it's at about 4:00 in this YouTube video.

Posted by Observer Sports on September 13, 2009 at 08:36 PM | Permalink

Comments

Screw those clowns. How about being up 38-10 late in the game and going for it on fourth down TWICE, then bringing your starters back in the game with under two minutes remaining for a goal line stand! ANDY REID IS A MUSTACHIOED MARBLE SHAPED MUFFIN MAN WITH ABSOLUTELY ZERO CLASS. Enjoy your dog fighting thug of a backup. Maybe they signed Vick because Reid's son was a good friend of his in prison.

Posted by: jeff | Sep 13, 2009 8:49:36 PM

it was a little late but it wasnt on purpose. How do you want a 300 pound guy to just stop on a dime. Brayton and Lewis both had a speed burst because of the way McNabb bounced off Marshall

Posted by: nieko | Sep 13, 2009 9:01:08 PM

Late yes it was! But not real late!Make sense? WE SUCK!FIRE FOX & JAKE!NOW!!

Posted by: panfan1 | Sep 13, 2009 9:05:07 PM

It was very late and a ridiculous cheap shot. Neither player even began his dive at McNabb until McNabb was LAYING IN THE END ZONE WITH THE BALL. Hell, McNabb was starting to get up he'd been in there so long. I could understand a guy who had started his dive to stop McNabb from scoring from behind, but Lewis came from the side and jumped on 5 while he was already in the end zone. How is he trying to make a play when McNabb's already in the end zone?

This is the second time McNabb suffered craacked ribs on a pathetic cheap shot vs. the Panthers. The last time it got you a trip to the Super Bowl (not saying the Panthers may not have won that game anyway, but it rendered our star ineffective and immobile early in the second quarter of a 7-0 game). Maybe Fox teaches his players to cheap shot the other team's superstar long after the play is done.

Some fans can't own up to anything. I'm a Philly fan, I'll be the first to say when my team is wrong or classless or when our fans behave like idiots. Panthers fans should do the same on what is a pathetic cheap shot by one of their players who was mad that his team was being humiliated at home.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 13, 2009 9:26:33 PM

JAKE dEL"HOMMO" SUCK!!!,not the OFFEnsive LINE!!.He really tried to force the ball to steve smith when was DOUBLE covered and then underthrown him..
jake needs to learn how to just take a sack!! Stop throwing the ball anywhere every time ur about to get sacked.

Posted by: Stefon | Sep 13, 2009 9:33:08 PM

Who cares about Philly??? McNabb is an idiot that likes to eat Campbells Chunky soup.

And did anyone see the PETA protesters outside??? I went by them and told them VICK was suspended today and wasn't even there....they didn't even know it.

I wish Vick was with us. Too bad he isn't the caliber of player we need because of his past. Peppers is who we need - a guy who doesn't want to be here but we keep him anyway.

I still say if Sean May was our DT we would be much better. Be like a big old donut wrapping up Mcnabb. Donovan better be glad Sean May isn't in town, he would have ate him like a can of soup.

Posted by: Shane Stone | Sep 13, 2009 9:47:23 PM

I loved the so called "HIT",It's always a treat when we break Mcribb's rib's.It always seems to happen and couldnt have happened to a better class of fan's being that the teams Qb is a Eagles Qb and from Philly, I loved it and it wasnt malicious,just a late falling down by Mr. Lewis.

Kuddo's to Lewis and Brayton.

Posted by: Ghost Of Sparta | Sep 13, 2009 9:53:10 PM

Kuddo's to Lewis and Brayton.

Posted by: Ghost Of Sparta | Sep 13, 2009 9:53:32 PM

Kuddo's to Lewis and Brayton.

Posted by: Ghost Of Sparta | Sep 13, 2009 9:53:54 PM

Kuddo's to Lewis and Brayton.

Posted by: Ghost Of Sparta | Sep 13, 2009 9:54:44 PM

Kuddo's to Lewis and Brayton.

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Sep 13, 2009 9:54:59 PM

Dang,sorry all,but atleast it went threw and I got to have my say,

Love, Mcribb

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Sep 13, 2009 9:56:42 PM

No it was not late but I think he got what he deserved. Up 31 to 10 with your team in complete control and your star quarterback trying to act like a running back. SMH

Posted by: Avante | Sep 13, 2009 9:58:53 PM

ROFL.
Isn't this football?
Man up!

Posted by: PantherPerk | Sep 13, 2009 10:13:26 PM

It wasn't to late, but dirty - no reason to fall on a guy when he's down in the endzone. Panther fans = sore losers!!! and you be losing a lot this season so get used to it!!

Posted by: ddt | Sep 13, 2009 10:19:19 PM

BTW, dogkiller was in the stadium today. When you watch in realtime, the hit was not late. Watch the entire game again, you can see iggles players doing the same. Quit whining, dumba$$ wanted to be a big shot and he took a big shot.

Posted by: Russ | Sep 13, 2009 10:25:33 PM

In the NFl there is no such thing as running up a score. Go watch your poor local ACC team get walloped if you want to complain about that. What your fat loser lineman did was criminal and we can only hope that he is fined, suspended, and then have his knees taken out. Your team sucks and your fans are idiots.

Posted by: Baby Whiner | Sep 13, 2009 10:29:52 PM

It was absolutely a late hit. Anyone with half a mind can tell you that. I thought Panther’s fans were somewhat intelligent but I guess not from what I am reading on this message board. The funny thing is I watched it on television in Philly and it sure sounded like there were more Eagles fans there than Panthers. That is a damn shame….your teams really sucks. Let me explain to some of you idiots why the Eagles went for it on 4th down twice and brought in their first team def at the end. If you watched the game you can see that our back up QB is God awful and needs all the work he can get. Plus, the Eagles kicked the crap out of the Panthers and knew that there was no chance for a comeback. Kolb is horrible and clearly needs the extra practice. It was no way Reid being classless and running up the score. It was too late for that anyway. He knew what all of us in Philly knew that there was no way Kolb can score. Personally I think they should part ways with him…but that’s just me. Okay why the fist team def at the end……it is called setting a TEMPO. Anyone who has ever played football will understand. Lastly, to the biggest morons on this message board….the McNabb Haters. He is better than any QB you have ever had, and probably ever will. You have 3 good players on you team….that is not enough to win a Superbowl….or make the playoffs. You saw what happened today. Accept it….and just enjoy the wins when they come…..Don’t Hate

Posted by: Jermac | Sep 13, 2009 10:32:52 PM

jermac, your labotomy appeared to be successful.

Posted by: Russ | Sep 13, 2009 10:38:30 PM

He needs to remember that next time and get his butt down before he gets in the end zone. It's a simple choice: Lay down early or get hurt. Not too smart to trade your health for a meaningless TD. Maybe he'll choose the smarter option next time!

Posted by: Eddie | Sep 13, 2009 10:42:20 PM

Didn't look late to me. Typical Panther tackle though, tackle from behind instead of getting between the player and the goal line.

Posted by: sore loser | Sep 13, 2009 10:47:27 PM

Oh, wow Russ that was such an intelligent comeback…...you really must have put some thought in that one. Well Panther’s fans I rest my case after that response……point proven. Good night

Posted by: Jermac | Sep 13, 2009 10:49:37 PM

Like I said,the so called "HIT" (If you Mcribb Fans call it a hit) couldnt have happened to a better fan base.To bad someone couldnt Roy Williams (horse collar) Mcribb instead of just putting a Rocky Balboa on him.......

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Sep 13, 2009 10:52:17 PM

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Sep 13, 2009 10:53:35 PM

I don't think the hit was late, but it was unfortunate that McNabb was injured on the play. I'm not an Eagles fan, but to say that ANY player DESERVES to be hurt on the field is ridiculous to me. He was told to go for it, and he did.

As far as Brayton and Lewis, they just followed through on the play, like any other play by any other defense on any other team. You go until the whistle blows, that's what all defenses do. I seriously doubt that John Fox is telling his players to try to take out McNabb by intentionally aiming for his ribs.

As far as the game goes, I thought the Panthers D didn't look bad at all, but the O-line couldn't seem to pick up the Eagles blitz and Delhomme couldn't seem to make them pay for blitzing all day. He was definitely shook up and couldn't seem to get his head screwed on straight after that first pick. The good news is, if Jake ONLY has one game like this a year I would rather see it in week one than in the playoffs =).

Posted by: The Real James | Sep 13, 2009 10:54:17 PM