« Delhomme will start vs. Cardinals | Main | Warner: Jake will get through it »

October 28, 2009

Delhomme: Confidence not "through the roof" but situation "can't get much worse"

Here are highlights of Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme's interview with reporters today after coach John Fox announced he'd remain the starting quarterback for Sunday's game at Arizona:

---

(On Coach Fox's decision): If he would have went that way (with another QB), how could I blame him? Let’s be real here, how could I blame him? But I was hoping it would be me. There’s only one way. I’m going down swinging. I don’t know the way to put it. We haven’t played well. I haven’t played well. Certainly, the last game was disappointing.

(On Facing Arizona, team that you had six turnovers against in the playoffs last year): It probably makes me want to play even more.  You want to go out and play them. Hey, watching those games ('08 reg. season and playoffs) yesterday and again this  morning in the film room, you learn by what we did decent and what we did not good in the two times we played them year.

(irony of coming full circle and playing Arizona): It’ll be full circle if we go out and play well, that would be a nice thing. That’s what we’re going to try to do. But they’re a good football team. We’re going to have our hands full.

(where's your confidencne): Let’s be honest, if you want me to sit here and tell you it’s through the roof, that would be a lie. I still do have a lot of confidence. It’s frustrating that it’s a couple of plays a game (that don't turn out well.

(blocking out past mistakes): You have to. I think the thing you’ve got to think about is, ok, it can’t get much worse, so don’t worry about nothing. That’s the kind of mentality you have to take. That’s how I’m taking it. It couldn’t get much worse than last week, let’s go, forget about it and go on.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on October 28, 2009 at 02:53 PM | Permalink

Comments

Im agree with Foxy, when you bench a 7 years starter thers alot that goes with that, I think the fact that John showed he is willing to do it, lets Jake know he has to play well here. If he goes and throws two picks early, John will bench him, no doubt. I hope Jake plays well, cause he is a great guy, no matter what you think about him on the field.

Posted by: Ronnie | Oct 28, 2009 2:59:40 PM

somewhere out west, cardinal fans are smiling

Posted by: fox is a joke | Oct 28, 2009 3:07:51 PM

The sad thing is Ronnie, I can honestly say that I think Fox IS going to stay with Jake through whatever happens. 1 TO or 5 TO's, Fox isn't going to let go! It's so frustrating as a fan to sit and watch your QB LOSE the game week after week. The ONLY reason we have 2 wins against horrible ball clubs is because we played to our strength in those two games and that's running the football!!

Posted by: JW | Oct 28, 2009 3:08:20 PM

Things you don't want to hear from your starting QB "I think the thing you’ve got to think about is, ok, it can’t get much worse"

Posted by: k | Oct 28, 2009 3:11:39 PM

Posted by: k | Oct 28, 2009 3:11:40 PM

If Jake was a true team player, he would sith himself out. IF JAKE TRULY gives the team the best chance to win, that's not saying much. Put him out of his misery.

Posted by: Mee | Oct 28, 2009 3:12:01 PM

Pay attention to the ints and you will notice that most of them are on the receivers lack of effort to catch the ball.
Now Jake has been inaccurate at time as well but as a reciever you have to try your best to catch every pass or prevent the defense from catching it.

Posted by: Leonard | Oct 28, 2009 3:14:19 PM

Quote: "It couldn’t get much worse than last week, let’s go, forget about it and go on."

Well, at least he seems to have the forgetting part down. It has been worse than last week much of the year, and certainly the last time against the Cards.

Maybe a few more hours in the film room will jar his memory. Now, if someone would just kick Foxie hard enough in the ass to jar him into sitting this washed up Joke of a QB.

Posted by: prometheus | Oct 28, 2009 3:14:21 PM

Oh dear God, Jake just made THE mistake of all time. Dude, NEVER CHALLENGE WORSE!!!!!!!

Posted by: J | Oct 28, 2009 3:14:26 PM

I'm just ready for this season to be over with so we can move forward as a team with a new head coach and QB. There is no way in the world Jake will not get booed off the field the rest of the season so John Fox has written has signed off on his firing. It is only a matter of time because this much I do know. Jake will fail this weekend in Arizona no matter how little they have him throw the ball, which will probably be 10 times at most.

Posted by: James | Oct 28, 2009 3:15:30 PM

Fox is a idiot,Delhomme is a idiot.How can he say we have'nt played well ? He has'nt played well all year .A decent qb,and this team would'nt be that bad.IDIOTS !

Posted by: dee gray | Oct 28, 2009 3:15:35 PM

I have a feeling about this weekend...

Perhaps I've seen too many movies of the week with neat "character development/overcoming obstacles" arcs, maybe I'm an optimist, or maybe I'm just standing up for a stand up guy.

Give 'em hell Jake!

Posted by: JMc | Oct 28, 2009 3:16:15 PM

The receivers are who have kept Delhomme and fox here as long as they have.

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Oct 28, 2009 3:20:31 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Jake not only should not start he does not even belong in the league. Let's face it Jake sucks, Fox is too conservative, Beason is over rated, Smith deserves the chance to go to another team that can utulize his abilities and Marty Hurner needs to go back to the newspaper business. Cut the losses trade what you can stock pile picks and bring in Cowher.

Posted by: jim moser | Oct 28, 2009 3:23:03 PM

Go get em' Jake!!

Posted by: M | Oct 28, 2009 3:23:19 PM

And one more thing get rid of John "The Toe" Stewart what a waste always milking that injury never practicing and never producing.

Posted by: jim moser | Oct 28, 2009 3:25:17 PM

this season is so strange that i got 2 crazy ideas last sunday. the first thought that popped into my head is that fox is totally burned out and that
either consciously or not i believe he may be trying to be fired.the same may hold true for jake.people act in very unpredictable ways in a pressure cooker.

Posted by: ray | Oct 28, 2009 3:30:24 PM

I think its funny... Win 12 games and your just alright, but lose a few and you better watch your back. I dont understand this town. HOw many games has jake won for us. He will be back! what do yall think without him and john things will be all better... NO they wont you know why... great qbs dont just fall from the sky, coaches eaither!! Evidently neither do real Panther fans...

Posted by: bob | Oct 28, 2009 3:33:15 PM

I believe that Jake is still the quarterback for this Panthers team and deserves the chance to face (and beat) those demons that haunted him in last season's playoff game against the Cardinals. He definitely understands what is at stake and I expect he will play well. If not, Jake is smart enough to inform Coach Fox that he needs to go with another quarterback.....Jake is not foolish but knows that he wants to prove his worth and value to this team. Truthfully, a majority of his turnovers this year have been the result of tipped balls and poor routes run by his receivers. He has also had passes dropped that could have been game winning moments. Football is a TEAM sport and it is very easy to single out your quarterback when the you lose.....Let's give Jake the opportunity to play Sunday! I believe in the Panthers and Jake Delhomme this Sunday - GO TEAM!!!

Posted by: Terese | Oct 28, 2009 3:33:24 PM

The Cardinals defense took Jake's soul like how Albert Pujols did to Brad Lidge a couple of years ago in the NLCS.

Posted by: Big Pat | Oct 28, 2009 3:33:26 PM

GO PANTHERS!

Posted by: Newsinz | Oct 28, 2009 3:37:48 PM

I wonder how the rest of the team feels about this. Are the other 52 players on the roster confident that Jake can turns things around and lead them to a victory? I've lost all faith, but I still hope for the best. I find Fox's decision to be incredibly stubborn and highly illogical, but then again, I'm just a fan.

*Sigh*

Posted by: Newsinz | Oct 28, 2009 3:37:58 PM

Where is all the John Kasey hate for missing TWO field goals last Sunday? OH - I forgot- that was Jake's fault too. Haters suck

Posted by: Wiggles | Oct 28, 2009 3:39:49 PM

Get 'Em Jake!!!!!!!!

Posted by: South Florida Panthers Fan CLub | Oct 28, 2009 3:46:59 PM

i'm a huge jake fan and i mean if we're all honest with ourselves, coming into this season jake delhomme and drew brees had rediculously close comparisons stat wise. the guy WAS a top 10 qb in this league before this meltdown.

but to me....after the buffalo game....you gotta give matt moore the reigns for a few games to remind this team and the fans how much better delhomme really is than the majority of the guys out there trying to be QB's. hell delhomme needs to feel it too. 2007 showed it, and we probably need that again. a change has to be made at this point if you're gonna save the guys career. you go to the backup for a week or 2 and come back with a refreshed jake. maybe you even let moore finish the season and come back with jake next year. the guy needs a vacation or something to get his mind right.

Posted by: charlottean | Oct 28, 2009 3:50:50 PM