« Hoover back at practice for #Panthers | Main | Thursday's Panthers links »

October 07, 2009

Fox ready for defense's 'quarterback' to return

Strong safety Chris Harris has missed the Panthers’ first three games with a left knee injury and coach John Fox said it’s important to get him back.

“It’s huge,” Fox said. “We’re young back there. He’s kind of the quarterback of our secondary, if not the defense. He understands the defense, knows all the checks. The guys have a comfort level with him.”

-- Backup quarterback Josh McCown, who’s on injured reserve, is out of the protective boot he wore for about two week after injuring his left knee and left foot against Philadelphia in the Panthers’ season opener.

-- Long snapper J.J. Jansen is three games into his NFL career – he missed last season in Green Bay with a knee injury – and continues to work on the subtle and mundane aspects of his job. And he’s got a role model to follow.

“It’s all in the set up in doing the same thing time in and time out,” said Jansen, who replaced Jason Kyle in the offseason. “A guy like (kicker) John Kasay has been in the league 19 years because he’s consistent at what he does.”

Jansen works on is snapping the ball to such a fine point that holder Jason Baker doesn’t have to spin the ball so that its laces face away from Kasay when he kicks.

“If I can snap the ball the exact same way every time, I can put it where I want it and the laces will end up where I want them.”

-- Quarterback Jake Delhomme on recently signed defensive tackle Hollis Thomas:

"Playing against him for all of those years, it's nice to have a guy like that out there, a veteran guy who brings a little life, a little excitement. I think that's healthy, so it's good that we've got him on our side." -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on October 7, 2009 at 04:31 PM | Permalink

Comments

Hollis was a good pickup. Now if we could only trade Peppers for a QB and a head coach-the sky would be the limit.

Posted by: ChunkyLover519 | Oct 7, 2009 4:55:50 PM

shaun smith anyone?

Posted by: matt | Oct 7, 2009 5:21:20 PM

Cincy's long snapper almost cost them the game against Cleveland. Not hearing Jansen's name is a good thing.

Posted by: Ben | Oct 7, 2009 5:21:54 PM

I reckon some folks will call me a homer; um hmmm. But I reckon I don’t like the way you all tawk… I’m about give-out with all the negative tawk. It aint right. I’m gonna have a biscuit and mustard on Sunday, and some of them French-fried tatters, and watch them Cats beat that team from the north. Um hmmm.

Posted by: Carl Childers | Oct 7, 2009 6:02:22 PM

I propose Jim Grobe for Carolina Panthers' coaching job!A coach that teaches players to have HEART;DESIRE & FIRE to play!!!If he can turn Wake Forest around then why not the Panthers!No NFL experience but so what! You can win with the three words above that are CAPITALIZED!!

Posted by: panfan1 | Oct 7, 2009 6:05:05 PM

Until Fox is gone, this team has no chance of winning any game. Skins-42 Panthers-3

Posted by: Fire-Fox! | Oct 7, 2009 6:26:06 PM

Fire-fox, No way your a panther fan wanting your team to lose 42-3

Posted by: NJ | Oct 7, 2009 6:31:22 PM

NJ, who said anything about wanting my team to lose? Re read it, and if you can't understand, get your mom to explain it to you.

Posted by: Fire-Fox! | Oct 7, 2009 6:59:01 PM

Chill out, everything will be alright. We are going to get our first win Sunday. So grab you a couple of COOL ONES, and cheer for the PANTHERS!

Posted by: jakekern | Oct 7, 2009 7:04:33 PM

Fire-Fox is Rodney Peete,Hes still upset Jake took his job away,and Foxy told him so-long.....

Posted by: GhostOfSparta | Oct 7, 2009 7:15:28 PM

Fox had the sack to bench Peete in the 1st game and start a guy who had little "playing time" experience in the NFL because Peete was sucking. Well, it's time to do it again. Delhomme is considered to have had a GOOD GAME if he didn't throw an interception LMFAO!!! He sux on 3rd downs, he's not real good on 1st and 2nd. Why is he still our starter???? DRAFT TONY PIKE, AND RUN THE DAMN BALL MORE, move Smith around in 3 wide sets so we arent so predictable use Rosario as the 3rd wideout.

Posted by: Jack | Oct 7, 2009 9:41:07 PM

Oh yeah, BLITZ MORE!!!!! Teams block Pep and our crew because it's almost always our 4 against their 5-6, and THEY KNOW IT"S GOING TO BE LIKE THAT!!! I could do the game plan for the Redskins and guarantee victory against the Panthers. Hopefully the FO will try something new.... oh yeah, DRAFT TONY PIKE!!!!

Posted by: Jack | Oct 7, 2009 9:45:01 PM

Panthers will win by at least 2 scores against Washington, by one - two scores against Buffalo and by at least two scores against Tampa. Expect a 3-3 record, you heard it first.

Posted by: Cameron | Oct 7, 2009 9:52:31 PM

Fire Fox & Hurney. I was chewing my gum and clapping as I typed that.

Posted by: jgib | Oct 8, 2009 7:11:56 AM

LMAO at jgib.

Posted by: Tommy | Oct 8, 2009 7:28:17 AM

I'm with you all day Cameron. Who ever still believes the Red Skins are going to beat us, their mommy still tucks them in the bed

Posted by: mr.garcia | Oct 8, 2009 9:12:32 AM

FWIW...IT IS WHAT IT IS and that's all what it is...I'm Peppers the overpaid..Man!

Posted by: JS | Oct 8, 2009 10:28:11 AM

Harris: "We need to get medieval on them, with a pair of pliers and a blow torch!"

Posted by: CH | Oct 8, 2009 10:55:05 AM

im putting out a call for all the true panther fan if you love Your God and you want the panthers to win i want u to make a promise to God for our team for every Game the panthers win i want you to Promise GOd you will give $20 to a church/charity. It may be that God will hear our cry and see our tears and turn and heal our team, i cry to every true panthers fan join me in this promise to Almighty God $20 to a church or charity for every game the panthers win.

Posted by: christ prisoner | Oct 8, 2009 12:07:37 PM

Isn't Beason the QB of our defense? Fox specifically said that Harris was the quarterback of the "secondary." I know I'm splitting hairs, but I think the article title is disrespectful to Beast. On those rare occasions when Fox actually lets out an interesting quote, let's make sure we get it right.

Posted by: Newsinz | Oct 8, 2009 2:24:18 PM

Jon Beason is the leader of our defense and now with Hollis Thomas he will be able to diagnose and react quicker. Hollis Thomas has a couple years left and he will be perfect in our rotation next year as well. Next year, if we have a rotations of Kemo, Damione Lewis, Hollis Thomas, Hayden, Irvin. Our defense is pretty young and will be dominant for years to come, just not this year.

Posted by: James T | Oct 8, 2009 11:54:49 PM

I feel the only reason we made it to the superbowl is because of Rodney Peete. Everytime Jake made a mistake he ran to Rodney to see what he did wrong. Rodney would tell him and the next time Jake got out there the offence would go down the field and score. They should have made Rodney the quarterback coach.

Posted by: dundun | Oct 9, 2009 2:59:11 PM