« How to fix Panthers; other links | Main | Fox ready for defense's 'quarterback' to return »

October 07, 2009

Hoover back at practice for #Panthers

Panthers fullback Brad Hoover, who missed Carolina's game at Dallas on Sept. 28 with a back injury, returned to practice Wednesday.

Rookie running back Mike Goodson missed practice, recovering from a concussion he suffered against the Cowboys.

Practicing on a limited basis as the Panthers come off a bye week to prepare for Sunday's game against Washington: Defensive end Everette Brown (ankle), linebacker Na'il Diggs (ribs), fullback Tony Fiametta (ankle), safety Chris Harris (knee) and running back Jonathan Stewart (Achilles). -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on October 7, 2009 at 01:21 PM | Permalink

Comments

Well it CAN get worse but I just can't see this team at 0-4. But Foxie did come out swinging at 1-7 once, so don't get your hopes up everybody. If you have any left that is.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 7, 2009 2:06:05 PM

So we dont have a completely healthy fullback at all? Great. That should help the running game.

Posted by: Elrod | Oct 7, 2009 2:23:14 PM

FB's are needed. They will just run different offensive sets. Maybe spread out Washington with a 3rd WR or go with 2 TE or 3 TE sets.

Posted by: YOYO | Oct 7, 2009 2:38:06 PM

Does anyone honestly care?

Posted by: Reporter of the Obvious | Oct 7, 2009 3:19:24 PM

Hell yes I care! Some of the posts here make me want to puke, for crying out loud!

I'm embarrassed to say that I am actually from Charlotte based on the kinds of posts that some of the idiots out here enjoy writing.

I guess it's my fault - I keep coming back here for news and inevitably read the comments. Sooner or later, some putz says something that I just can't let pass without a comment, like 'Reporter of the Obvious".

If you don't care, that's fine. Being a fan means sticking with your team through thick and thin, budro. Contrary to what they teach in public schools, it's not an "I'm okay, you're okay, nobody loses, everybody wins" world out there.

These guys that suit up every Sunday care and care deeply, and so should anyone that claims to be a fan. I say to you, and to the rest of you that can't stand by your team when the going gets tough, to grow up a little and get a clue. Sometimes your team loses, and sometimes they lose way more than you'd like.

GET OVER IT. You're part of the problem in this town, dude...the lack of maturity of the fan base shows in these posts and shows in the stadium, too. Anyone who claims to be a football fan KNOWS to shut the heck up when your team has the ball. Not in Charlotte, though. That would be too much like right.

So, Reporter, there are plenty of people that care and really still hold out hope for a decent recovery for this team. Quit trying to pee on everyone's Wheaties, okay?

Posted by: Scott | Oct 7, 2009 3:51:33 PM

I dont even remember Goodson playing in the Cowboys game let alone him getting hurt. Why are all these players so soft? Some of them have had a week or longer to recovery AND theyve had these past 2 weeks. Stewart isn't even getting the ball 10 times a game & he's still hurt? Brown has played limited in just two games & he's hurt? Harris all of a sudden hurts his knee out of nowhere(I say out of nowhere because he was playing like crap in the preseason missing tackles & not wrapping up) ironically right before the season starts & has not played since, what gives?

Posted by: D.W.G. | Oct 7, 2009 3:55:25 PM

Right on Scott!!!

Posted by: Deck | Oct 7, 2009 3:56:45 PM

Hoover sure was missed last week. You can certainly tell. Fiametta couldn't block, catch, nothing. So basically he fits right in with the rest of the team....but he still has to catch up to the speed of the game so he has an excuse.

Posted by: Smitty | Oct 7, 2009 4:03:39 PM

DITTO: RIGHT ON SCOTT!

Posted by: sip | Oct 7, 2009 4:53:33 PM

Scott, please post more often. That was a great summation of how a true fan feels. Some of you clowns will inevitably say "I'm a true fan and Peppers sucks and Delhomme sucks and Fox sucks and Hurney sucks and everyone sucks." What can you do about it? Not a darn thing. That's why you belittle all these players and coaches. They make you mad so you call them names...Nice. Keep your day job and go jump on a bandwagon.

Posted by: LordWard | Oct 7, 2009 4:57:40 PM

The Panthers will win this Sunday. There are too many good players on this team to lose against Washington. Look for Williams to get the ball a great deal more in this game and the defense to play much better. I don't believe we will make the playoffs, though crazier things have happened.

Posted by: MrScotland | Oct 7, 2009 4:57:58 PM

Scott, good post, but look outside Charlotte every now and then. These same type comments show up on message boards in every city where fans feel that the team is underachieving.

From the last part of the 2006 til the first few games of the 2007 season, the Panthers had their asswiped at home 4 or 5 straight times.

So, it's not just LOSING that irks people. It's not being competitive, getting blown out, getting waxed, getting routed, getting stomped that adds to the depth of the emotional well. If the Panthers had been competitive in the playoff game, the off-season comments wouldn't have been so negative.

Posted by: Ben | Oct 7, 2009 5:10:25 PM

As stated on Packers show, the Panthers need to get some trade value for Stewart. Not only is he always hurt, he seems to disrupt DeAngelos flow. Im tired of hearing about his Achilles year in and year out.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 7, 2009 5:11:11 PM

Mr Scotland is spot on. I moved to the Atlanta area recently. You see the same type of posts down here on the AJC about the Falcons. Always complaints about the soft defense, bad coaching calls, etc. I just read the columns and blogs and ignore the comments. Still a Panther Fan!!

Posted by: Hotspur | Oct 7, 2009 5:42:47 PM

Scott, you just said what I have been thinking since the beginning of the season! Charlotte fans are the "soft" ones. You have to believe in your team, stick with your team, and hang in there with your team, no matter what! Let's not let Charlotte do to the Panthers what they did to the Hornets. No support = bye bye team.

Posted by: True Fan | Oct 7, 2009 6:02:52 PM

I reckon some folks will call me a homer; um hmmm. But I reckon I don’t like the way you all tawk… I’m about give-out with all the negative tawk. It aint right. I’m gonna have a biscuit and mustard on Sunday, and some of them French-fried tatters, and watch them Cats beat that team from the north. Um hmmm.

Posted by: Carl Childers | Oct 7, 2009 6:06:53 PM

Scott, I want you have my back when I get in a fight man! I am a Detroit Lions fan and I proudly went to the game last year when they played the panthers..did we stink it up? you bet we did but I still support em..its like if your wife gains a little weight, do you like it, probably not but you stick with her through thick and thin (no pun)...grow up Panther fan base!

Posted by: bigguns | Oct 7, 2009 6:17:51 PM

Scott, get a life. I am a true fan and since I paid for my PSL and my game tickets, I can complain when I am given garbage. This team is horrible. TO the core horrible. We will not win a game as long as Fox keeps coaching. When we are 0-10, I bet you as well start to get a bit tired of it. If you are not fed up, that is your right, you have no reason to tell others how to feel or react. Grow up.

Posted by: Fire-Fox! | Oct 7, 2009 6:20:39 PM

Scott...I'm with you...If the Panthers don't win another game this season...I will never jump ship...I'm a true fan...Win or Lose...Sure I get mad and wonder why...But bottom line is...I love my Panthers and I am happy the state of North Carolina has a professional team...I would have never thought...I'm die hard baby...We still have a chance to do some positive things...

Posted by: MoveMe | Oct 7, 2009 6:26:38 PM

Yeah I'm a true fan too, but that doesn't mean I can't be pissed at the team, the coach, the qb, and the overpaid slouch on the d-line. Some guys out there always play hard but the ones who don't deserve mediocre fans.

Posted by: Will | Oct 7, 2009 6:31:01 PM

Fire-Fox, what a mature name. You said the Panthers wont win a game until Fox is gone, put up or shut up, If the Panthers win a game, you come in here with your Fire name, & tell how wrong you were. Tell everyone that youre just a crybaby that really has no clue about football.So what you have psl, youre the 1 that paid for it, not Fox, & you were not told they would win any games when you paid for it. Post your opinions all you want, but to say they wont win a game is retarded.

Posted by: mrbernz | Oct 7, 2009 7:12:24 PM

As I said before. It's a 5-11 season at best.

Posted by: StartTheWaterboy | Oct 7, 2009 9:05:27 PM

I still can be a Panther fan and say the truth about some of the players and coaches. Freedom of speech used to be ok. When you have a dude making more money in a game than I make in 10 years, his butt should be scrutinized. As for any jabs at a QB, get friggin real. Just look at his stats over the last 10 games. Do it NOW. He is in the lower echelon in the league. I love Beason, Davis, D Williams, Kasey, Hoover and all of the guys that seem to have their mind in the game. The coaches and management are not preparing the team well and have made some poor decisions. Is that my fault? If I screw up at work, my butt gets fired. This should apply to everyone in the Panther's ORG.

Posted by: Steve Gilmore | Oct 7, 2009 9:17:03 PM

Some of you people still just don't get it. I understand frustration, and I also understand that tendancy to scream about everything short of the Tooth Fairy. I get it. I'm as frustrated as anyone else about the way this team has performed (or not performed) when there's more talent than 0-3 shows.

That doesn't explain or justify the relentless whinng and puking and moaning and wanting to fire everyone you think isn't cutting it, or the outright cheering for the team to fail. I've put in my time, my money, and taken a lot of crap from the Falcon fans since moving to GA several years ago, too. I've got the same scars everyone else who follows this team has, so don't tell me that you've got the market cornered because of being a PSL owner or something. I don't buy it.

The fan base in this town doesn't get "it". What "IT" is is the big picture - the season is a marathon. A team can lose games and lose them ugly and still be a good team. Players are people, too and have bad days. The NFL isn't a Madden game, either, where you just trade and power guys up on a whim.

I think people in Charlotte and the region need to keep their eyes on the ball a lot more, learn something from cities that have had franchises that have been up and down, and stop crying every time your team doesn't beat the other team. Think about it - everyone loves to hate the Patriots, and they sucked huge for a long time before now. The Raiders used to be a force, and where are they now? Pittsburgh went DECADES between Super Bowl appearances. The Colts left a city in the lurch, and now are a perrenial power. And throughout all of that, all Carolina has done is make the NFC title game three times and post a better winning percentage over the last 6 years than every franchise except two. I know everyone wants a Super Bowl title here, but really - there's only one of those a year, and it's not like everybody else has one except Charlotte.

Football is an inexact science. People succeed and fail on a very high profile stage, and hundreds of thousands of supporters live and die with every play and every game. It's a great thing! I'd like to think that over time, Charlotte will grow up as a sports town and stop crying like a baby every time a team struggles.

In the mean time - I wonder what kind of fever would catch on if this team seriously got on a roll and won like 11 of their next 13. I wonder what would happen to all of the haters out there...

Posted by: Scott | Oct 8, 2009 8:54:42 AM

If you think the folks posting here are bad, you should see what they are saying in Green Bay!

Posted by: Rod | Oct 8, 2009 10:24:06 AM