« Friday's Panthers links | Main | Moose, Godfrey, Rosario out for Arizona game »

October 30, 2009

Panthers head out to Arizona early

NFL teams usually fly to the location of away games one day ahead of the game, but for the past several years, the Panthers have left on Fridays for Sunday games out West.

The Panthers were scheduled to leave this morning and to practice near Phoenix shortly after landing this afternoon. The early arrival helps the team get acclimated and to have Saturday to rest after a long flight.

As a result, the injury report, which usually is released around noon on Fridays, won't be available today until after the later practice, which is likely to be about 6 p.m. EDT.

Based on how the week has gone so far, it sure looks like wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad and safety Charles Godfrey will be among the players declared out.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on October 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM | Permalink

Comments

I love the Panthers to death. With the exception of the opener and Atlanta, I am hyped for this game. It was hard to have the same feeling against Buffalo, Washington, and T.B., but oh well. It is such a shame the way the season has turned out thus far. Delhomme is our starting quarterback for this game and we must support him because I have come to realize he is going to be there til the end. I don't want to be calling for Matt Moore during the game because I'll know we will be losing and I don't want that to happen. I'll call on Matt Moore after the season. I'd rather Jake and Fox finish the season together. If John is going to go down then it will be with his quarterback. If fans truly believe the season is over then a quarterback switch shouldn't matter. I don't believe the season is over and Jake is at his best when our running game is our priority. If you recall against Philly and Arizona(in the playoffs), we ran it down their throats on the opening possession with Jake mixing in some passes. Then we got away from the game strategy. It's on Fox and for that reason alone I see us returning to our running game for almost the entire game and beating Arizona. It's not impossible but that's why I love the Panthers and this game. You just never know. GO PANTHERS!!!

Posted by: Paul | Oct 30, 2009 12:55:27 PM

A quarterback switch is KEY if the season is over. We need to find out whether or not Matt Moore can be a starter in this league. When he played two years ago, we didn't have the defense or the running game we have now. This will benefit the team and coaching staff (regardless of who it is) in the future. You've really got to wonder what Coach Fox is seeing from Moore and Feeley. They must be coloring and wearing their jerseys inside out at practice for Jake to give us 'the best option to win'.

Posted by: Jake | Oct 30, 2009 1:24:39 PM

I have always been a Jake supportor...he's never been the most fundamental QB out there, but simply put, he was a winner. But the key word in that last statement is "was"...don't get me wrong, he'll still win a few more games, but his confidence is shaken at this point. I think there are more than enough reasons to sit Jake down and start Moore...not for the sake of Jake playing bad per say, but to see what Matty can do for us...and for more than 3 games, which is the last shot Moore got. We've got to look to the future at this point...and honestly, the season can still be saved, but not with the way jake is playing. He at least needs to sit, take a deep breath and watch for a few games. If Moore sucks out loud, then put Jake back in to finish the season. Just my two cents...

Posted by: justin | Oct 30, 2009 1:53:33 PM

Paul, I hear you and I love this team as well, and as much as they piss me off from time to time I can't shake that affection. Fox and Delhomme has planned to either sink of swim together, the captain goes down with the ship. I am pulling for us to win, and we can win because the teams are the same teams that played last year in the regular season when we won and the same team that played in the playoffs. The Cardinals run defense is pretty good, we have to be on our best. I am hoping Jarrett has a big game, and Delhomme settles down and play conservative but focused. We can beat them, but realistically speaking it is far-fetched. Jake, your comment about the coloring is hiliarious, and i agree with you if we can't even give the other guys a shot to show what they can do.

Posted by: Panthers2003 | Oct 30, 2009 2:01:56 PM

The cold hard truth is our team isn't playing together as a group. Its either the offense (Jake),the D-Line or special teams but they haven't played a complete game in all phases yet. That's mental not physical. If they want it bad enough they can bring it all together. Character is what will determine this Panther teams fate. Only time will tell. I for one am pulling for the team.

Posted by: Scott Griffin | Oct 30, 2009 2:50:53 PM

Is there anybody else who has been less than impressed by Charles Godfrey's play? Maybe it's just me, but I think we could use an upgrade. I'd never heard of him before, but I was hoping Sherrod Martin would be a good option.

Posted by: jeff | Oct 30, 2009 2:54:02 PM

Both Charles Godfrey and Sherrod Martin have not worked out.........I don't know how to feel about this game. One side of me hopes that the Cats will have REVENGE on thier minds. While the other side of me thinks Fitzgerald will have 3 TD's off receptions, and Rogers Cramartie will have 3 TD's off interceptions!!!

Posted by: Smitty | Oct 30, 2009 3:11:18 PM

Panthers defense has been clicking the last few weeks, its Delhomme and special teams, thats all it is. You take away all the turnovers from Delhomme and the special teams and the Panthers are at worst 4-2 now instead of 2-4. I dont understand how a player can be hired to return punts in a professional sport and not even be able to catch a punt. All they have to do is fair catch, dont drop it. Or let it hit the ground & stay away from it. Then Delhomme has to get in the game & not for the other team. Once that happens they start winning, i dont care what team they play they can win. If Delhomme throws 1 interception he should be sat down, that should be the end for the season, there has to be a penalty for playing for the other team at some point.

Posted by: MrBernz | Oct 30, 2009 3:47:18 PM

It's funny how 7th rounder Captain Munnerlyn starts over 2nd rounder Sherrod Martin. Godfrey is not physical and all this time John Fox has raved and raved about being physical, and running the ball.

Cardinals 35 - Panthers 10

Kurt Warner 300+ Passing Yards - 3 TD's
Fitzgerald 150+ Yard Receiving - 2 TD's
Tim Hightower 80+ Yards Rushing - 1 TD

Jake Delhomme 60 Yards Passing - 3 Int, 1 Fumble
Steve Smith 15 Yards Receiving
Deangelo Williams 55 Yards Rushing - 1 TD
Jonathan Stewart 45 Yards Rushing

I may be right on the money, or way off, but God knows those are realistic statistics!

Posted by: Cameron | Oct 30, 2009 3:48:18 PM

It's going to be ugly! Zona-45,Cats-10.I'm afraid this is the real start of the end of the Fox and Hurney era.

Posted by: dee gray | Oct 30, 2009 4:07:12 PM

Cameron-

talk about a jump ship reaction...

talk about "fair weather".....

Posted by: AK Joe | Oct 30, 2009 4:08:29 PM

Sorry AK Joe, Cameron doesn't appear to be "fair weather" no more than I am...appears more realistic. Moose out and Jarrett in? Oh my, even that is a down grade to the running game. There will be 8 men in the box all day, count on it. Smitty will be double covered, count on it. Jake will be forced to throw down the middle to backs and TE's and we know how that story ends...

Posted by: jrauhauser | Oct 30, 2009 5:01:48 PM

I've been a fan ever since 1995 when they came out. I have sat and watched every game, even the 1-15 season. I have watched Jake do great and I've watched him tank. You say I'm fair weather? really? I am only being logical, he leads the league in interceptions and saying that the Panthers will loose makes me fair weather? Well take a look on the voting poll and 97% of everyone else "fair weather" and "real fans" know we will loose, the other 3% is just ignorant. Can we win this game? yes, will we? Not with Jake. Even though I would love Jake to come out and throw for 300+ yards and 3 TD's, honestly that's not going to happen. He has lost confidence and if you think those statistics are off then you should join the 3% of ignorant fans on this blog. I am not jumping ship, I will watch every game, no matter who starts QB. I will cheer for Jake when he does good, and flip sh!t when he turns the ball over.

I am also a huge fantasy geek, so these numbers I posted are realistic, I know everyone on the Panthers roster by heart, my house is covered in panthers gear, I am probably one of the few fans who hasn't burned my Delhomme Jersey.

But by all means, call me "fair weather"

I will just call you "ignorant"

Posted by: Cameron | Oct 30, 2009 5:06:01 PM

Cameron should be upgraded to Qb coach..maybe he can turn around Jake's atrocious delivery...maybe not.

Posted by: Jerry Richardson | Oct 30, 2009 11:16:12 PM