« Delhomme: Confidence not "through the roof" but situation "can't get much worse" | Main | Thursday's Panthers links »

October 28, 2009

Warner: Jake will get through it

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, a former teammate of the Panthers' Jake Delhomme, had this take on Delhomme's recent struggles Wednesday afternoon during a conference call:

"I went through some tough stretches where it seemed like everything went against me. Even though it wasn't always me -- it seemed like every tipped ball got intercepted, every time there was a miscommunication between me and somebody, it was intercepted. Every time I got hit, the ball popped out. Everything spiraled down hill.

"But at some point, you've kind of got to get a grip on it and get moving in the other direction, get on track.

"There's no question Jake will do that because of the kind of guy he is and the player he is."

"We've all been through it. All great quarterbacks go through times when they struggle a bit."

Warner said he relied on friends, family and teammates to pull him through the tough times, like during an 0-6 stretch in St. Louis.

"I think leaning on people around me, surrounding myself with people who are positive, not people who say I can't play any more."

"But I'd try to be critical of my play and the situation. When I went to watch film, I'd look at what I did wrong. Or did I do something wrong? There were times if I had three interceptions (and they weren't all my fault), and, not to pass the blame, but I wouldn't run out to the media and say it wasn't all my fault."

"But in my mind, knowing it wasn't all on your shoulders was really critical when you make mistakes. You fine tune not to make any more, but you can take some solace in knowing that not everything's my fault. You've got to win and lose as a team. I'm part of the problem, but I'm not all of the problem. It at least allowed me to hang on to my confidence, to believe that I've got to play a little bit better, the guys have got to play a little bit better and we'll come out of this as a team. Instead of going into a shell in your locker feeling like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. Because nobody can handle that." -- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on October 28, 2009 at 05:07 PM | Permalink

Comments

Kurt Warner hasn't had to watch Jake throw 13 interception during the past six games.

Posted by: John | Oct 28, 2009 5:19:03 PM

Jake's NOT GREAT! That's were Kurt Warner is wrong... This has nothing to do with Jake.

All I have to say is... when Jake throws the first pick, pull him out and wave a banner saying "Moore's team 2009".

God knows my fantasy team will do amazing because I have Karlos Dansby and Rogers-Cromartie as Individual Defensive Players playing against the Panthers this weekend.

Posted by: Cameron | Oct 28, 2009 5:29:03 PM

Or even better, watch him throw 17 int, and 5 fumbles in the last 7 games. And would you believe that fox is keeping this guy behind center check this link. The observer guys are slow as heck!!

Posted by: Chuck | Oct 28, 2009 5:33:16 PM

Jake just feels unloved and needs a hug. Next home game all you real Panther fans stand up when the team takes and field and chant 'JAKE-JAKE-JAKE...' for the next 5 minutes. I have my stop watch and will be watching to see if anything at all occurs other than the sale of beer.

Posted by: george | Oct 28, 2009 5:34:39 PM

My little buddy will do okay on Sunday. The PRofessor made a special helmet out of a giant coconut; Thurston Howell Peppers said that Lovie gave him the OK to play hard. Ginger and MaryAnne... Well I'm not allowed to fratenize with the Top Cats...

Posted by: The Skipper | Oct 28, 2009 6:00:24 PM

I'd like to point out that the playoff game against the Cards last year was NOT the start of Delhomme's downward spiral. His play in the last half of the year got worse each game. In the Detroit game, for example, he couldn't even complete short flare-out passes. He was just lucky that they weren't intercepted (and that it was Detroit). He's really been not very good for a whole year already, and he shows no signs of improvement. This is different than Kurt Warner's experiences. I don't know if it was the surgery or what, but Jake's accuracy never was very good and now it's getting worse. Time for plan B!!!

Posted by: Wayne D | Oct 28, 2009 6:03:11 PM

I have all the confidence in the world in Delhomme....throwing INT #16 in the 3rd quarter against Arizona.

Posted by: Bra-ha | Oct 28, 2009 6:19:01 PM

Well Kurt, when you have time to throw, at least you're accurate ...

Posted by: Big Pat | Oct 28, 2009 6:21:34 PM

At this point, who else are they going to start??? At least with Poopers, they went out and made provisions for him potentially being replaced (see Everette Brown). With Jake (and Smith), nothing. All they have is a youngin with potential and a journeyman career backup who joined the roster last second.

Unfortunately, Double Trouble is too banged up to have the effect they did during the seond half of last season. They will therefore not be able to run, run and run some more like they should in order to get some W's. Moreover, Kasay better cleanse himself of BOJANGLE'S CURSE soon!!! Those missed field goals (and consequently, the failed fourth and short attempt that followed soon after) really lost that game, coupled with the turnovers, of course.

POOR FOX. WOULD YOU WANT TO BE COACHING A TEAM WITH A KICKER THAT MISSES FIELD GOALS AND A QB THAT KEEPS TURNING THE BALL OVER??? HECK, FOR THAT MATTER, WOULD YOU EVEN WANT TO BE ON THAT ROSTER?????

Posted by: SYRPIS | October 28, 2009 at 06:32 PM

Posted by: SYRPIS | Oct 28, 2009 6:40:15 PM

WITH INJURIES AND THE BOJANGLE'S CURSE PLAGUING THIS TEAM, IT IS TIME FOR THE BACKUPS TO STEP UP!!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Oct 28, 2009 6:41:01 PM

SMITH SHOWING HIS TRUE COLORS AGAIN (speaking of BOJANGLE'S CURSE)...

Said wide receiver Steve Smith: "I just work here... (If) Jake is the guy, Jake is the guy. It’s not my call."

Smith went on to say that he can't worry about other people's jobs.

"It’s not that other guys don’t care, but Jordan Gross, for instance, he has to block (Arizona defensive lineman) Darnell Dockett and he can’t be concerned with how Jake feels or doesn’t feel," Smith said. "We all have our own designated jobs. When you have that going on I think it’s unfair to try to add more pressure on to a game that is important this week."

THEY WERE ALLEGEDLY BEST OF BUDS WHEN JAKE WAS THROWING THE BALL AT HIM, EVEN IN TRIPLE COVERAGE, REGULARLY. NOW SMITH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT JAKE'S FEELINGS??? SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

Posted by: SYRPIS | Oct 28, 2009 6:46:12 PM

we all need to call billy graham and ask him to pray for jake to do better i hate to see him play like this after he gave us so many thrills in charlotte! come on jake play ball man!

Posted by: tony joe white | Oct 28, 2009 6:55:25 PM

or i'll whip you up a mess of pokeeee salad! huhhhhhhhh!

Posted by: tony joe white | Oct 28, 2009 6:56:48 PM

Make him the starting QB no problem..but make sure all you run is wildcat..thats the only way to get it done!

Posted by: PantherPride | Oct 28, 2009 7:52:49 PM

I'm glad smith doesn't have his back anymore. Jake sucks! Fox can't even see that he's losing the team. If 90% of the fans don't believe in Jake, what do his teammates think? I think it's starting to come out. I hope he breaks the int record.

Posted by: Rudeboyardee | Oct 28, 2009 8:05:36 PM

It's hilarious how the NFL interception leader is the "best chance to win". Fricken hilarious...

We would have the "best chance to win" if we run the Navy offense. Just run the ball the entire game and pass like 3 times. God knows John Fox doesn't have a problem pounding it, seems like him and Jake do that every night anyway....

Posted by: Cameron | Oct 28, 2009 9:16:39 PM

run the wildcat with smith and williams

Posted by: foxisclueless | Oct 28, 2009 9:25:19 PM

We have been fans since day one.It's time to say they need a change, at coach at qb and their defence sucks too .After last Sundays game I will no longer watch a Panther game

Posted by: Bubba | Oct 28, 2009 9:33:04 PM

Carolina Panthers 2010-'11:

We lose Julius Peppers. We lose Mushin Muhammad. We lose Steve Smith. We lose Jonathan Stewart. We lose Deangelo Williams. We lose some other key players that have or haven't been vocal about their future as a Panther. Why?

Has anyone interviewed Rip Scherer? What does he have to say about this situation? Or maybe this season is being used as practice for next season?

Posted by: 2ndGenBulldog | Oct 28, 2009 9:40:46 PM

The defense sucks? Bubba, did you not watch the game on Sunday? The defense is the only thing working for this team. True fans stick with there team through and through. Yes Jake hasnt played well. Actually pass offense hasnt played well, and we have been playing behind most games. But from 2003 until 2008, we've had a pretty darn competitive team, more than a some fans of other teams can attest. It COULD be worse. Look at Detroit. Now, I am disappointed, frustrated, upset, whatever have you, BUT, I appreciate the good things this team has done. Only a small number of teams win every year, and every year we've won at least 7 games under Fox. Until you 'part-time' fans understand this league, and show some loyalty and appreciation you will continue to make me want to puke. Thank you.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 28, 2009 10:05:38 PM

You Know John Fox must love losing because not only is he losing games, he's also losing the faith of the fans, think about it, if it wasnt for the fans paying for tickets to watch them HE wouldnt have a job. NFL is not into Revenue Sharing.

Posted by: Brian Laster | Oct 28, 2009 10:20:36 PM

Just an friend taking up for his ex NFLE player. If i was the other qb I would want Jake in also so I can get the ball more. I wonder if Brenda approves of Jake's play also?

Posted by: wayne | Oct 28, 2009 10:45:59 PM

I Agree 110% with Bill.

Posted by: GhostofSparta | Oct 29, 2009 3:04:41 AM

Open message to Jake Delhomme:

Jake, thank you!

Thank you for your courage!
Thank you for your heart!
Thank you for your passion!
Thank you for your character!
Thank you for your "I won't quit!" attitude.
Thank you for the many, many months you put in to rehab to come back after your surgery!
Thank you for ALL you've done for Charlotte and the Panthers in the past six plus years!
Thank you for being GLAD that you're going to get to start on Sunday, when you could easily take the easy way out and "sit it out!"
Thank you for taking the time to autograph the picture I sent to you of myself with my little dog in his Panther jersey and helmet! I will always treasure such a special gesture!
Know that I will be praying for you on Sunday as you "face your giant!"
GO JAKE--GO PANTHERS!

Posted by: Panthergirl | Oct 29, 2009 9:33:07 AM

It's not all Jake's fault. Yes, he has been inacurate and has made some bad decisions but I can't believe nobody has said anything about special teams.
They suck worse than Jake.
Those dumb-asses have given the opponents more points than he has.
They've screwed us in every game so far.

Posted by: Adawg | Oct 29, 2009 2:26:47 PM