« Panthers lose as Delhomme throws 4 interceptions | Main | Monday's Panthers-Jets links »

November 29, 2009

Fox to consider lineup changes at quarterback, elsewhere on offense

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Carolina Panthers coach John Fox said he’ll evaluate the entire offense and consider possible lineup changes, including at quarterback, after Sunday’s 17-6 loss to the New York Jets.

“We’ve got to look hard at who’s out there, what we’re doing and get better,” said Fox. “I think we’ll look at the whole offense. At the end of the day, we weren’t productive enough to win.”

The Panthers’ 179 yards of total offense was the fewest they’ve had since gaining only 169 in their season-opening loss to Philadelphia.

Quarterback Jake Delhomme had a 12.7 passer rating, the second worst he’s had in a game in his seven seasons with the Panthers. (His rating was 12.3 last year at Oakland).

Delhomme threw four interceptions to raise his season total to 18, setting a new career single-season high even though the Panthers still have five games remaining.

Delhomme said he expected his starting status would be evaluated.

“I would assume, but to say we’ve talked, no we haven’t,” he said.

Asked whether he expects to start next Sunday against Tampa Bay, Delhomme said, “I don’t know.”

Fox said he considered switching to Matt Moore during the game, but decided against it.

“There was discussion about it,” said Fox. “But overall, we felt like Jake was the best guy to be in there for what we were doing in this game, and that’s what we did.”

Asked if he thought the Panthers’ reluctance to turn to Moore reflected a lack of confidence in the third-year quarterback, Fox said, “I don’t think that’s accurate.”

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on November 29, 2009 at 05:25 PM | Permalink

Comments

I wish the Panthers well, but I just cannot watch anymore of their games. Frustration doesn't do it justice, but it's as close as I can find at the moment. Big changes are in store for this team.

Posted by: Bump_N_Run | Nov 29, 2009 5:31:40 PM

While I don't think Moore is the long term answer, it IS time to see what we have in this guy. You never know...

What I do know is Jake's career looks done! I don't mean his time as a Panther...I mean CAREER!! Our offense was belittled to thowing it up blindly and hoping a receiver made a play. UNREAL!!

Posted by: Nick | Nov 29, 2009 5:37:26 PM

John Fox needs to stop "considering" changing QB's. Whats to consider? Jake Delhomme plays like a 4th string QB while making money like a starter. Did Moore sleep with Fox's daughter? If not why isn't he starting.

Posted by: capfolly | Nov 29, 2009 5:41:25 PM

i hope now more than ever its obvious the panthers need and have needed to look very hard for a starting QB. i feel jake is past his prime and as good as his arm is i think that his field vision has been long gone. everything today was high or overthrown.

Posted by: big kat | Nov 29, 2009 5:41:43 PM

I am confused by Fox's approach to this who;e thing. He is so smarmy. He never directly answers a question and that is a problem with those of us who contribute to the financial success of the team.

Either he has confidence in Moore or he doesn't, right? And what was it about Jake's first half performance that encouraged them about what they were trying to do in the second half?

If he thought Jake's first half was the pre cursor to a good second half, then he is the idiot we suspect he is. If he didn't like what he saw and saw the rotten mechanics we saw, then he must have no confidence in Moore.

Posted by: cmo | Nov 29, 2009 5:42:18 PM

A little too late! Fox! Your an idiot! I like you but not your decisions!And just after just calling you an idiot! Bad QB play & coaching decisions has killed us!STUBBORNESS!I am Piss-Pour-Sour! With all our talent & now having to possibly groome a new QB & anything else & players getting in their prime now or past their prime! I am going to the bathroom to piss or puke!

I am beginning to think what's going on in the Richardson family! I love the "Big Cat" but...........don't get it Jerry!

Posted by: panfan1 | Nov 29, 2009 5:42:40 PM

said Fox... “But overall, we felt like Jake was the best guy to be in there for what we were doing in this game, and that’s what we did.” Hmmm....was the plan to LOSE??? Another fine job at head coach and QB

Posted by: arejaye | Nov 29, 2009 5:43:04 PM

Please stop by Bojangles this week and try one my deserts. I reccomend the turnovers!!!

Posted by: Jake Delhomme | Nov 29, 2009 5:43:23 PM

It is completely apparent that the entire passing game needs revamping...Although a lot falls on the arm of Jake, other than steve, the WRs and TEs are completely ineffective in their route running! No one is getting open! The Defense is playing well enough for the panthers to win games and we all know the panthers have 2 STARS at RB. Looking to next year, NO WAY they can franchise Pep again. If they can't come to a long term deal with him, let him go and spend that 20 mil on about 10 guys that can come in and play! They have BIG issues at depth at WR and have completely missed at TE. Big changes need to come offensively in the offseason! It needs to start with the passing game and Jeff Davidson!

Posted by: changes | Nov 29, 2009 5:45:25 PM

The entire PANTHERS team has "Tommy John" elbow... They were infected by Jake Delhomme.

Posted by: Blackspeak | Nov 29, 2009 5:48:08 PM

Now we can get on with the real problem of this team, finding the next qb. Delhomme is pitiful and has been all season, i dont know why it took missing the playoffs to start trying out others but it is what it is. The play calls were good, the qb ability was lacking. Thewre is no way possible that Moore can be any worse than Delhomme. I will still watch every game no matter what they do, its sad to see a good team lose but i still like watching them.

Posted by: MrBernz | Nov 29, 2009 5:49:51 PM

Jeff Davidson is a budding superstar. Defensive coordinators around the league are working long hours to analyze his innovative offensive schemes. Owner's have filed complaints with the league office to get him to scale back his innovation. Why on earth has Mr. Richardson allowed Fox to hire 2, TWO, offensive coaches from CLEVELAND

This is rocket surgery.

Posted by: cmo | Nov 29, 2009 5:51:19 PM

Hey, I got an idea....let's draft a QB in first round. Oh, wait. We do not have a first round pick.........

Posted by: Dom Capers | Nov 29, 2009 5:52:01 PM

Note to all...the scream you heard in Matthews was me after the third int....

Posted by: Dom Capers | Nov 29, 2009 5:53:09 PM

He will not bench Jake. Success with any one else would be a sign that he could have made the change earlier in the season and probably been in playoff contention. Would you want to seem that stupid?

Posted by: Al | Nov 29, 2009 5:53:54 PM

Note to all....the scream you heard in the Matthews area was me after the third int.

Posted by: Dom Capers | Nov 29, 2009 5:54:53 PM

Posted by: Dom Capers | Nov 29, 2009 5:55:37 PM

You guys are going to have to keep it down, don't want to wake Mr. Richardson. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......he still thinks he won the Superbowl, three times with Fox.

The more I watch the other games, I really like this NFL thing. Maybe Charlotte could get a team?

Posted by: cmo | Nov 29, 2009 5:56:59 PM

Its easy for us to retrospectively evaluate a decision after the fact. Had those decisions worked, we would be talking about Fox being a genius. However we are now 4-7 and almost out of the Playoffs. Now is the time to see what else we have on this team. But isn't it a shame we can't shuffle coaches decisions like on a 'DVR'!

Posted by: TheCatman | Nov 29, 2009 5:57:07 PM

It amazes me how a coach can not know the common sense things that the fans sitting at home know: Jake Delhome is NOT able to get it done and it's time to try something else.

Posted by: John | Nov 29, 2009 5:57:55 PM

Can someone explain to me, someone who has watched thousands of NFL games, who has gone to most every Panther home game, how Jake Delhomme gives this team the best chance to win? Why is Matt Moore even on this team if he is so aweful?

Being good two years ago does nothing for me today. Do you mean to tell me that Moore or Feely would do worse that this guy? A passer rating less than 12.7? More than 4 interceptions? Throw more blooper/jump balls than Jake throws? Stare down their receiers more than Jake does?

Help. Please. Am I wrong here or is John Fox living in a delusional world.

Posted by: Yes | Nov 29, 2009 6:00:19 PM

Gotta make some changes. Is it possible that Fox was told at the beginning of the season win or it's time for you to move on. I can see no other reason why Fox would not bench Jake unless he knew he was done here.At this point it does not matter if Matt Moore plays or not. Fox knows he is gone. If so he's going out on his terms.

Posted by: Shawn | Nov 29, 2009 6:02:31 PM

Boy....after this season, Richardson is going to have to make some big changes or all of the best talent we have (and we have some fantastic players) are going to ask to be traded. This team is hemmoraging fast. Super-stars won't tolerate this kind of performance for very long. It's a damn shame too. I feel like we could be at least 7-4 if things had just been handled differently back during preseason and the off-season.

Too late now though; but, it is now time to admit we have a problem and start working toward making changes to get the team back into a position of winning again (next year).

Posted by: BG | Nov 29, 2009 6:03:37 PM

Let's hope a real estate agent gets the call and lists a lovely Italian mansion in Quail Hollow. Beautiful in law suite, great view of Quail Hollow Club. Owner leaving town, must sell.

Posted by: cmo | Nov 29, 2009 6:04:11 PM

Close your eyes and listen.....who said this?

"Without a doubt, I suck."

Posted by: cmo | Nov 29, 2009 6:08:04 PM