« Fox: Delhomme has broken finger in right (throwing) hand, Moore may start | Main | UPDATE: Finger injury may force Fox to replace Delhomme »

November 30, 2009

Transcript of John Fox news conference on Delhomme, Moore, etc.

Here's a transcript of highlights of Coach John Fox's weekly news conference today. Questions and answers were edited for clarity and brevity:

(Injuries from Sunday's game vs. Jets): Tank Tyler a knee sprain, DeAngelo ankle sprain, Dwayne Jarrett ankle sprain, Jake Delhomme broken right finger.

(When and how did Jake hurt his finger?): 2:24 to go in the fourth quarter, I think it was fourth and long, on that throw to Dwayne Jarrett. I think he got a hand caught in between his fingers and kind of moved (a finger) in a non-normal direction.

(Which finger?): Just right hand.

(How does this affect your plans at quarterback?): We’ll evaluate that as we move forward. Obviously, he’ll be day-to-day and see what he can take and can’t take. I’d say it’ll probably be pretty hard-pressed for him to take snaps Wednesday.

(If Jake is healthy, will he start Sunday vs. Tampa Bay?): I can’t deal with ifs. I think it’s fairly safe to say Matt Moore will be there Wednesday and we’ll evaluate it day to day.

(Could this be a season-ending injury?): I just found out about it an hour ago. We’ll keep you posted.

(Did Jake know about it yesterday?): I think more or less it got sore overnight and it was definitely sore this morning, and the docs took a look at it today.

(How do you feel about Matt Moore possibly taking over?): We’ve started Matt Moore before. It’s been a few years. He’s stepped in and did a pretty decent job. We’ve had more time with him now. We’ll kind of go from there.

(What else are you going look at doing on your offense?: We didn’t execute very well at all, not just the quarterback position. I think there were miscommunications in the protection routes, the run game, from first play on, so we’ve got a lot of work ahead of us.

(How do you explain so many problems in so many areas on offense?): Obviously, we didn’t do a good enough job preparing them. We weren’t ready to play. That starts with coaching, all the way down to the players’ responsibility. I thought there were some phases of our game that were  pretty good. The offensive phase was below average.

(Will you make other changes to the starting lineup?): We have that right every week.

(Do you foresee any?): I don’t try to foresee, just evaluate.

(Why was there so much miscommunication yesterday?): It comes up every week, it just came up more often this past week than weeks past.

(If Jake finger sidelines him, would taking a break be good for him?): I think with a broke finger, he’s going to get a little time away from it. If his finger wasn’t an issue, I couldn’t with a straight face make a change just to him. That was a combined effort by the offensive players, not just one player – just for the record. And I would say we get a chance to research those things. It was poor not just by the quarterback.

(Specifically, what finger is it?): It’s a right hand finger. That would not be the thumb.

(Do you not want to say what finger you’re dealing with?): No, because we don’t have to.

(How did you feel about the play of the defense yesterday?): As far as our `musts’ going into the game, I think obviously the run game was going to be fairly critical. I thought all in all, we did a pretty good job in the run game. When you can hold an opponent to 10 points, you should win your share, and that wasn’t the case. We did have three takeaways – two fumble recoveries and an interception.

(Was DeAngelo affected much by the ankle sprain?): It happened on their sideline. I can’t remember exactly what quarter it was, but I think it was in the second half. I’m sure that was sore on him.

(Why do you believe you've continually had difficulty getting Steve Smith involved? He had one catch for 5 yards.): He had one in the end zone I remember.

(Did you think it was a touchdown?): Obviously, it wasn’t.

(Why has it been so hard to get him the ball?): We got it to him on that other play. It could’ve been a touchdown, but we didn’t hang onto it. That was a fairly big play.

(How is Steve playing?): Again, 4-7. just like we’ve all coached and like we’ve all played.

(Because of the nature of the position, do you think Jake takes more criticism than he should?): I think there’s no question, but that’s true in the other 31 cities in the National Football League also. I don’t know I’d say (it’s more) than he deserves, I’d just say it’s the nature of his position.

(Do you anticipate you’ll have an announcement Wednesday about who will start at quarterback vs. Tampa Bay?): We’ll have to wait and see what Wednesday brings. I mean, today is Monday. I hope I’m here Wednesday. I hope you are, too.

(Could you you elaborate on how you feel about Matt Moore?): We haven’t gotten a chance to see him in a whole lot of live play lately. I think he’s capable of making all the throws. He’s got the height, weight and arm strength you look for. The quarterback position is about decision-making. Until you get in there in live situations, you really never know, and he hasn’t had that opportunity a lot. I think he prepares hard and he’ll definitely give his best effort.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on November 30, 2009 at 01:41 PM | Permalink

Comments

C'mon man. Someone get this character to answer a question properly.

Posted by: george | Nov 30, 2009 1:55:34 PM

he hopes to be here on wednesday???wow!!with a coach like that we don't need an enemy!!good-bye .500

Posted by: specialc3632 | Nov 30, 2009 1:56:26 PM

I just can't figure out why he takes up for Jake so much. Numbers show this season that when qbs have performed like Jake has this year they have been BENCHED. There is no way he gives us our best chance to win. Fox always talking about evaluating, he better start evaluating himself then Matt Moore! Whole season down the drain!

Posted by: Gee | Nov 30, 2009 1:56:55 PM

He might be thee hardest interview is sports!

I (i dare so most of us) are sick and tired of his non-answers. He owes to us fools that are paying these outragious prices for everything from soup to nuts ($4.00 for water!) in that stadium to give us some real answers! He won't even say which finger is broken for crying out loud.

Enough!

Posted by: PanamaRed | Nov 30, 2009 1:59:27 PM

" The quarterback position is about decision-making. " exactly thats y we keep playing jake d b/c he has been making so many great decisions with his 8 to 18 td to int ratio come on how bad could Moore be.

Posted by: dooby287 | Nov 30, 2009 2:04:27 PM

What gives him the right to be such a smart @ss to all of the reporters? He's not a Hall of Famer, Superbowl winner, or elite coach so why does he put his nose so far in the sky when it comes to protecting Jake and his pathetic attempts to prepare a team each week?! For goodness' sake, it's a broken finger Fox...not the combination to the bank vault!

Posted by: NFL247 | Nov 30, 2009 2:06:38 PM

When I managed a plant with 200 employees on three shifts I knew by 9AM the following morning what went right and wrong the previous 24 hours or no supervisors when home and the 2nd shift supervisors were called back to be certain I did know what happened. This did not make some of the supervisors and employees happy with me but it did get problems resolved, even if some them did not last through my tenure.
The fact there are communication issues after a group of people have practiced and played together for 15 weeks is a scathing indictment. My 7 year old grandson's soccer team makes fewer mental errors than this group of overpaid slackers.

Posted by: george | Nov 30, 2009 2:09:09 PM

haha i hope you're not here on wednsday fox...this is all a little fishy to me...he knows the exact time jake got his finger broke 2:24 in the 4th huh...so that A) covers your tail for finally having to bench him B) allows jake to sit down without the embarrasment of being benched...he's waving the white flag without actually waving the white flag...sly like a fox

Posted by: rjkilla | Nov 30, 2009 2:12:47 PM

I can't wait to see Moore play Sunday. Finally I am excited again!

Posted by: ickmule | Nov 30, 2009 2:13:27 PM

Why does anyone think that this organization owes you? They sell a product - entertainment. If you are not entertained, you can shop somewhere else. If you watch a tv show, and it is terrible, do you call the network and complain until it gets better - with you still watching every episode? Or do you just stop watching? This is supposed to be fun - if watching football stresses you out, it might be time to broaden your horizens.

And he owes you answers? Try getting them out of Bill Belichick - he is even more tight-lipped. Should he be fired for his interview tactics too?

Posted by: Nathan | Nov 30, 2009 2:14:52 PM

How do u guys like how he knows exactly what quarter, what minute, & what second it was when Delhomme got "injured", but doesn't know when their best player (DeAngelo Williams) got injured??? He says Smith ran the wrong route immediately after the game. He always says after the game that he has to "evaluate" the play but he just plain said Smith ran the wrong route. What about the other INT's?? Your gonna "evaluate" those too and blame it on the receivers? John Fox you are unbelievable. How you are a coach beats me. Oh yeah nobody's buying your whole Delhomme "Injury". Thats why you wouldnt say what finger it was. You just don't want to admit your wrong, so you could say the reason for benching Delhomme is his "broken finger".

Posted by: Nate | Nov 30, 2009 2:15:16 PM

The only reason the rest of the season is worth watching is because of the possible quarterback change and our schedule. We are playing playoff caliber teams and it would be interesting to see how that goes. We usually play to the level of the competition, so Brady, Manning, Farve, and Brees to finish the season is what I want to see. Heck even TB and Freeman are playing decent now. I was on a road trip but heard the game on the radio and I'm glad I did, otherwise, I would have blown a fuse if I saw it on TV. It's different from hearing the mistakes than actually seeing them, though considering the way the season has gone, I'm sure I could have pictured those easily. I love Jake Delhomme and everything he gave us through out the years but his mistakes are majority of our losses. Fox's only problem is loyalty. Other than that he is a good coach. He just doesn't have the quarterback. Put any of those four I mentioned above and I'm sure Fox is coach here forever. His game plan does work but he doesn't have the quarterback to do so. I'm sure no one would mind those guys in our offense. In the end, I hope he returns but with a new quarterback but one who fits the mold of those above. Does anyone oppose Ron Meeks coming back? I think he has done some good. Now, let's finally see what Moore can do.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 30, 2009 2:16:14 PM

(Did Jake know about it yesterday?): I think more or less it got sore overnight and it was definitely sore this morning, and the docs took a look at it today

BS.

JAKE BROKE HIS FINGER ON PURPOSE LAST NIGHT AT HOME SO HE COULD END HIS OWN SEASON. THAT WAS SMART JAKE!!! AND THANKS FOR HAVING THE SCROTUM'S TO HELP YOUR COACH AND TEAM!!!

YOU COULD HAVE SAVED A FINGER IF YOU WOULD HAVE JUST SAT YOURSELF DOWN!! I MEAN REALLY

Posted by: Chuck | Nov 30, 2009 2:18:50 PM

How can we have a proffesional and coaches When all you say is " we will get better" sounds like Pop Warner football. If our backup quarter backs are this bad why pay and keep them? Maybe we should let the panthers move LA and try baseball!

Posted by: James A Miller | Nov 30, 2009 2:21:07 PM

Geez Fox answer the questions, this isnt a presidential debate. This was a horrible interview. Teflon John at it again......

Posted by: Elrod | Nov 30, 2009 2:21:11 PM

The bottom line with coaches is this; if you are winning you can ignore reporters - Belichek, give vague non-answers - Fox, or abuse your players - Magnino. Once the losing starts all of this becomes intolerable. One thing is for sure, we will never see Fox do a Coors Light commercial.

Posted by: SportsDon | Nov 30, 2009 2:22:34 PM

Nathan, Fox is NOT Bill Belichick. BB has a talented roster and he tries to protect against giving the opponent a competitive advantage. Fox has a roster not anywhere near as talented and just likes to be a stubborn ox. All the opposing coaches have to do is construct a simple game plan to beat us; they don't need a secret advantage gained from press conferences.

Take yesterday, for example. The Jets figured out that all you have to do is send one more guy than we had to block, knowing our QB and WRs wouldn't be able to exploit the advantage that would give us. If you saw any of the Arizona-Tennessee game, you saw that when Arizona blitzed on the last drive, Vince Young found the WR with the advantage. When they didn't blitz, the Tennessee WRs managed to get enough separation for Young to find them. The Jets knew our offense couldn't do that.

So Fox doesn't need to put on this act he does in pressers. Tampa has a QB who is fairly mobile and very smart, and a rejuvinated run game, to score some points. Don't forget that this QB wasn't in the lineup when we played them earlier. On defense, they can just follow the Jets blueprint, because they have 2 good corners who can cover our WRs one-on-one. I don't think having Moore in there will solve the problem of our WRs getting no separation from the corners.

In other words, I have the same bad feeling for the Tampa game that I had all last week for the Jets game. What makes matters worse is that I will be attending the game in person with an old college buddy - a Tampa fan. Ugh.

Posted by: J | Nov 30, 2009 2:33:07 PM

Nathan, you compared Bill Belichek to John Fox??? HAHAHAHAHAHA My man your missing the point...Bill Belichek has a right to have arrogance, he has a winning season every year even without Brady (last year).

Posted by: Nate | Nov 30, 2009 2:37:33 PM

(Why was there so much miscommunication yesterday?): "It comes up every week, it just came up more often this past week than weeks past."

WTF?

Posted by: Brian | Nov 30, 2009 2:39:30 PM

Time for a new coach and QB
How soon will it happen

Posted by: JB | Nov 30, 2009 3:19:58 PM

The last Panther game I went to, I did not see a single, solitary guard posted who was forcing people to purchase water or any other products. Nor did I see anyone holding a gun and forcing people to purchase tickets. I'm sick and tired of whiners who complain about the price of tickets and concessions, but still continue to pay them. At the game to which I referred, I went at half time and got a drink of cool water from the water fountain. Cost: Zero! There you go.

Coach Fox, I would not have your job for all the diamonds in the world! Great jumping catfish--accusing you of LYING about Jake's broken finger?!?!??! They say you're faking that story to "save face" right after they say you should man up and bench Delhomme for his play. Following that logic, the "manly" thing to do would be to simply bench him--not make up a story about a broken finger. Come on, people--when you get angry, you don't know when to quit, do you?

Posted by: Panthergirl | Nov 30, 2009 3:46:09 PM

Ok, Susan Fox.

Posted by: Jason | Nov 30, 2009 4:28:26 PM

WTFFFFFF

Posted by: Jason | Nov 30, 2009 4:30:03 PM

"The quarterback position is about decision-making. Until you get in there in live situations, you really never know"

If this statement is true then how could Fox make the statement all year that Jake gives the team the best chance to win? If this is true he would have no idea who gives the team the best chance to win because he won't play any other QBs...
I cannot wait till Fox is gone.

Posted by: billyballs | Nov 30, 2009 6:02:47 PM

First of all, Fox is one of the better coaches in the league. Like his style or not.

Why would you want to tell the teams you are playing against which finger is broken? Might as well e-mail the opposing team your injury report of all your players.

Fox is not 'in love' with Delhomme. Fox has always been protective/to loyal to all of his players. Remember Dan Morgan or Stephen Davis?

Posted by: CarPanFan1 | Nov 30, 2009 7:39:49 PM