« Wednesday's Panthers links | Main | Players happy about Fox news »

December 30, 2009

Fox mum on his future

Panthers coach John Fox didn't have much to say about his future after Wednesday's practice.

Following an Observer report earlier this week quoting sources saying the team wouldn't fire Fox, he was asked to comment.

"I've got a year on my contract. I don't get into that right now," Fox said. "My focus is to get through the season. I have an agent (who) deals with that."

Asked if it would be difficult to coach a season when he's in the final year of his contract, Fox said: "I think I just answered that."

* Running backs DeAngelo Williams (ankle), Jonathan Stewart (Achilles) and Tyrerll Sutton (ankle) were among the players who didn't participate in practice. It's customary for Stewart to rest on Wednesdays.

Also sitting out: right tackle Geoff Schwartz (groiin(, cornerback Richard Marshall (ankle), ajd wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad (ankle).

Quarterback Matt Moore (rib) practiced on a limited basis.

* The Panthers still haven't placed receiver Steve Smith on injured reserve and added another player to the active roster. Fox said there wouldn't necessarily be a move.

* Linebacker Jon Beason was named NFC defensive player of the week.

<span class="icon icon-bullet"></span>Beason, center Ryan Kalil and Smith were named second alternates to the Pro Bowl.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on December 30, 2009 at 02:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

Did anyone expect Fox to wax poetic on this topic? Good luck squeezing blood out of that stone. If Fox doesn't get resigned after next year (or chooses to leave after this season), he should strongly consider getting into professional poker. I bet his poker face is the stuff legends are made of.

Posted by: Newsinz | Dec 30, 2009 2:53:22 PM

Maybe the other teams who want Fox will want Mr. Bojangle as well. I can't believe Jake didn't make the Pro Bowl. He is such a great quarterback, remember the one who gave us the best chance to win?

Posted by: kevin | Dec 30, 2009 3:14:17 PM

QUIT,QUIT,QUIT,QUIT,QUIT,QUIT!!!!!!

Posted by: hellfish | Dec 30, 2009 3:32:44 PM

So even no news somehow becomes news

Posted by: Frank | Dec 30, 2009 3:44:26 PM

Fox, Cowher, or Gruden? I like Fox first. I like Gruden next. Rothlesberger, etc. may have been the success of the Steelers more so than Cowher (after Cowher left they won a super bowl). Gruden won a super bowl and had great teams without a great quarterback.

Posted by: JW | Dec 30, 2009 3:45:33 PM

Coach Fox, thanks. People have such short memories. Typical of some folks to think you can buy a team rather than building one. I appreciate your approach and wish you well - in whatever you do.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 30, 2009 3:47:46 PM

Gruden won a SB with Dungy's team then did nothing after that. Cowher won a SB thanks largely to the refs. We don't need either one of those two coaches. We have our best chance with Mr. Fox. Face it, Jake ruined last year and this year not Fox. Yes Jake should've been pulled earlier in the year and that falls on the coach but thats over now (I hope). Fox has a good system in place right now. All we need is some luck.

Posted by: pland67 | Dec 30, 2009 3:56:28 PM

Thats right Chris. Thank him for the arrogant answers, the stubbornness, the non aggressive play calling, the up and dwon years, the three playoff appearances in eight years, the unwillingness to change, the veteran loyalties to a fault, etc.

Posted by: D.W.G. | Dec 30, 2009 3:58:38 PM

i guess he picked a bad year to have a bad year

Posted by: Bobcat Terry | Dec 30, 2009 4:05:23 PM

I think Coach Fox's silence on his future is better than most of you people deserve! You rake him over the coals, criticize the decisions he made in good faith, lambast his loyalty to his players, overlook his players' loyalty to him, overlook his past accomplishments, forget that he is considered one of the best coaches in the NFL, and then expect him to invite you to his "Here's my Plan" party. Regardless of who starts at QB next season (and please don't start the Jake bashing again--despite Moore's recent success, he is still unproven over the long haul), if we change the head coach and/or some of the other coaching staff, there WILL be the inevitable turmoil that major change brings with it, and we may be two years away from being competitive again. As I said in a previous post, be careful for what you wish! And lest you accuse me of being "Jake blinded," I do understand that Jake's time may have passed--I just want him to have a chance to out with dignity. Having said that, I wish Matt Moore the very best of luck--I think he is a fine young man whose patience and loyalty are paying off in a big way--I sincerely hope if Jake's career is over that Matt Moore continues to improve and has a long and distinguished career with the Panthers!

Posted by: Panthergirl | Dec 30, 2009 4:08:16 PM

To "Frank"of Dec 30 2009 1547:46, If you research a little you will find it to be true that John Gruden actually inherited that Tampa Bay SB team after it was built by Tony Dungy.

Posted by: fredrick bernard henderson | Dec 30, 2009 4:11:22 PM

DWG:
see, that's the difference - clearly your glass is half empty. let's agree to disagree on this one cuz by the tone of your post, nothing good will come from your fingertips.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 30, 2009 4:22:15 PM

What a condesending Asshole. As a PSL holder I pay his salary. I hope his days in Carolina are numbered. Go to Buffalo, you and that city deserve each other

Posted by: Brad | Dec 30, 2009 4:34:52 PM

DWG could not have said better mself. I think DWG's glass is Full of reality!

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Dec 30, 2009 4:52:02 PM

SOOOOO Stupid you panther fans that want fox to go. Why don't you invest in a library card and do some reading during the off season. You are soooooooooo dumb. I bet you believe in the tooth fairy and flying spaghetti monster.

Posted by: Mosca | Dec 30, 2009 4:57:14 PM

something in the milk isn't clean ....is coach fox leaving us?

Posted by: Letha | Dec 30, 2009 5:00:01 PM

what the hell is a flying spaghetti monster?

Posted by: Gut | Dec 30, 2009 5:11:23 PM

@ mosca ,I guess "Jake gives US the BEST chance to win was "intellectual" When THAT DECISION ALONE was made by HIM. HE SHOULD be held ACCOUNTABLE for NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS with a STUPID decision like who the best QB is for this TEAM! Obviously YOU are to "FOX" smart for the OBVIOUS. SOOOOOOO to much HOMERISM!

Posted by: hellfish | Dec 30, 2009 5:11:28 PM

Cool your jets Fox haters. Cowher was in steel town for 15 years. He did not win a Superbowl until his 14th year. If you take away the bad decision to stay with Jake for too long (money & contract). Fox did a good job, with all the key injuries on this team. Just look at the last 2 games these guys have been play some inspired football. Can't say that for some other teams that are not going to make the playoffs.

Posted by: redwine | Dec 30, 2009 5:12:42 PM

You really couldnt blame
John Fox for taking that double pay Tampa job he was offered secretly after they fire Morris for incompetence. Word is Fox is also slippin out od town with Jake on the midnight southbound train 700 mile trip.

Hes leaving on that midnight train to Tampa ... Leaving on the midnight train to Tampa...woo woo ...

Posted by: Fox the Buc | Dec 30, 2009 5:25:26 PM

I saw a piece today linking Fox and staff to otherh coaching vacancies that are anticipated after the season. Folks should be careful for what they ask for.

Posted by: Origional PSL Owner | Dec 30, 2009 5:29:17 PM

c'mon man!!
Moore has inspired the team and every team deals with injuries. How many teams in the playoffs now are dealing with serious injuries?

Posted by: fox has to go!! | Dec 30, 2009 5:32:02 PM

i can't believe no one said ,"it is what it is" and "jake gives us the best chance to win" unless it's matt moore. if fox leaves i'm pretty sure he's not taking jake with him.

Posted by: joe cool | Dec 30, 2009 5:50:48 PM

Sounds like he was being a smart ass in his answers

Posted by: Frank | Dec 30, 2009 5:51:26 PM

Fox should have his contract extended. It's the stupid head fans that are wrecking the ball club. Coach Fox and Hurney build solid teams that compete weekly.

Posted by: Mosca | Dec 30, 2009 5:57:46 PM