« Tuesday's Carolina Panthers links | Main | Beason doesn't make Pro Bowl »

December 29, 2009

Panthers' Peppers makes Pro Bowl, earns $1.5 million bonus

The Observer has learned that Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers has been elected to the Pro Bowl, earning him a $1.5 million bonus that raised his total compensation for the 2009 season to nearly $18.2 million.

No word yet on if other Panthers players were selected. Top possibilities include linebacker Jon Beason and running back DeAngelo Williams.

The announcement of the full Pro Bowl team is scheduled for 7 p.m. tonight on the NFL Network.

This marks the fifth time that Peppers has been selected to a Pro Bowl in his eight-year NFL career. He also earned the honor in 2004, '05, '06 and '08.

Peppers' Pro Bowl incentive carried over from his contract that ended after the '08 season. When he signed his one-year tender offer of $16.683 million, it was accompanied by the Pro Bowl bonus.

Thus, his earnings of more than $18 million are about $3 million higher than the average salary of the NFL's highest paid defensive player.

-- Charles Chandler

Posted by Observer Sports on December 29, 2009 at 06:12 PM | Permalink

Comments

Good Job Pep..

I hate that you take plays off sometimes, but I think you turned it around this year...

Thanks!

Posted by: AKJoe | Dec 29, 2009 6:17:23 PM

Charles,

Can you explain the last paragraph?

Posted by: cmo | Dec 29, 2009 6:28:17 PM

Peppers is the best player in franchise history. Keep him and we have a chance.

Posted by: Fox_blows | Dec 29, 2009 6:28:51 PM

Charles is sometimes startled to find out that 50% of the NFL's players make more than the average salary.

Posted by: Authority | Dec 29, 2009 6:41:29 PM

Actually, that's the mean salary, but you get the point.

Posted by: Authority | Dec 29, 2009 6:42:11 PM

Not bad for a guy that takes plays, sometimes games, and in 2007 a whole year off. He's good all the time and great when he feels like it. He's too expensive for what he's worth, and his ego comes before his desire to help his team. Time for a new home somewhere else.

Posted by: PantherFancier | Dec 29, 2009 6:46:28 PM

And folks complain about the $$ paid to exec's. I think the Obama administration needs to look into the ultra high salaries of athletes and movie stars

Posted by: David | Dec 29, 2009 6:46:40 PM

And he's bad,bad Leroy Brown,baddest man in the whole d a m n town,badder than ol'king kong,meaner than a junk yard,and he's bad ,bad... Eat crow Tom Sorreson and the rest of you haters.lol

Posted by: bryant80 | Dec 29, 2009 6:49:51 PM

I still support Peppers. Not 18 million dollars mind you but get him signed. Our DE rotation will be sick next year with Peppers staying.

Posted by: capfolly | Dec 29, 2009 6:50:26 PM

if you're mad at his compensation....stop paying to go to the games and watching his games on tv. from a business standpoint, peppers deserved every dollar he made this year. how many other lines of work can contractually keep you from leaving the company?

Posted by: charlottean | Dec 29, 2009 6:52:19 PM

just pep and williams

Posted by: doug | Dec 29, 2009 7:03:12 PM

Congrats to Peppers! I support you whether you stay or leave.

Posted by: Glo | Dec 29, 2009 7:08:53 PM

Congrats to Julius Peppers and to DeAngelo Williams. Jon Beason, you were robbed!

Posted by: Kathryn | Dec 29, 2009 7:12:22 PM

Why do we get so fixated on the bonus amount?

Posted by: Rob | Dec 29, 2009 7:20:46 PM

If Richardson wants to keep John Fox and his illegitimate son Joke Glacomma then I hope Peppers takes him to the cleaners again nest year. No more money from me until Delhomme is off the team.

Posted by: kevin | Dec 29, 2009 7:25:05 PM

As soon as I read this I started laughing at all those that have said he has done a terrible job this year. Shows how much football knowledge they have.

Posted by: SargeN | Dec 29, 2009 7:25:13 PM

Its obvious. He only turns it on when he's on national tv. Beason gives it all all the time.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 29, 2009 7:25:46 PM

That last paragraph makes zero sense. Are you saying that he makes 3mil more than the next highest paid defensive player? I mean, if you are talking 1 item there is no "average". Perhaps you meant 3mil more than the base pay of the next highest?

The terminology you used makes it impossible to know just what the hell you are talking about.

Posted by: prometheus | Dec 29, 2009 7:26:09 PM

Peppers greed/attitude cost us the season. Where was he for the first 6 games?

Posted by: Dan | Dec 29, 2009 7:31:31 PM

Did Joke Glacomma make it? I am sure anyone worthy of a 40 million dollar contract should be on the team. I hope Jerry enjoyed christmas with his son Joke. I hope no one shows up for the game Sunday. My seats will be filled by people from New Orleans. I will not return to the stadium until Jake Bojangles Richardson Dalehommie is gone.

Posted by: kevin | Dec 29, 2009 7:32:19 PM

What costed us the season was that loser Jake Delhome and the arrogant sob John Fox.

Posted by: kevin | Dec 29, 2009 7:33:43 PM

Just once can Brad Hoover get some Pro Bowl consideration. Two straight years lead blocking for one of the NFL's best rushing attacks and he gets no love from the voters.

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 29, 2009 7:41:32 PM

Dan:

The guy had like 6 sack in the first 6 games, thats where he was.

Posted by: Maj Schaefer | Dec 29, 2009 7:41:35 PM

Good question. I'm confused as well.

Posted by: Charles Chandler | Dec 29, 2009 7:45:32 PM

Who would you want on your TEAM? Jon Beason or Julius? Seriously! I respect Pepper's ability, but I wouldn't want my son to want to be like him; clap on, clap off.

Posted by: Dan | Dec 29, 2009 7:46:39 PM