« Wednesday's Panthers links | Main | Thursday's Carolina Panthers links »

December 23, 2009

RBs miss practice

Three Panthers running backs -- DeAngelo Williams (ankle), Jonathan Stewart (Achilles) and Tyrell Sutton (calf) missed Wednesday's practice. They were joined on the sidelines by quarterback Jake Delhomme (finger) and cornerback Richard Marshall (ankle).

That left rookie Mike Goodson as the only running back at practice, although fullbacks Brad Hoover and Tony Fiammetta were out there.

Stewart routinely doesn't practice on Wednesdays. Williams left Sunday's game against Minnesota in the first half after apparently re-injuring the same ankle that kept him out of the Panthers' game against Tampa Bay on Dec. 6.

Quarterback Matt Moore practiced fully despite what was listed as a shoulder injury. Coach John Fox wouldn't elaborate on the injury.

-- Stewart, who had 109 yards rushing and scored twice in Sunday's victory against the Minnesota Vikings, was named the NFC's offensive player of the week.

-- David Scott

Posted by Observer Sports on December 23, 2009 at 02:15 PM | Permalink

Comments

Dang, the NFL beats people up.

Posted by: Ed | Dec 23, 2009 3:53:38 PM

Congrats to J Stewart on the recognition!

Lets go into pre season mode so the next coach can start evaluating what he has to work with ;)

Posted by: StonePanther | Dec 23, 2009 3:55:59 PM

;)

Posted by: nasty704 | Dec 23, 2009 5:20:58 PM

Next Coach??? Who are you kidding. I talked with Jerry and he wants to sign me to an extension. Now who's laughing Biotches.

Posted by: John Fox | Dec 23, 2009 5:30:57 PM

I say fox says...where are we are going to find a better coach?

Posted by: Letha | Dec 23, 2009 5:58:35 PM

I really hope matt is O.K., he's got the skills the team needs!!!

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 23, 2009 6:09:44 PM

"I say fox says...where are we are going to find a better coach?"

How about Bill Cowher? He lives in Raleigh, he loves the Panthers (you can tell whenever he talks about them). Cowher is as close as it comes to a shoe-in for our next coach. He may have a similar philosophical football outlook as Fox, but he has credentials (super bowl win), passion (chin), and will bring PUBLICITY (he is well known)!

Posted by: Quintin | Dec 23, 2009 8:17:31 PM

Qintin, really? Where have you been. Yeesh!

Anyway, I was waiting for the, "well he is just doing this to save his job" routine. No takers. Finally, some of you woke up after having things spelled out for you by someone who is not on the Cowhard payroll?? If so, about time.

I think some of that may be a ploy (or, I hope that it is). If not, they will have no chance against the Giants without a rushing attack. Don't forget, that team loves to attack QB's, and the Panthers' O-Line is banged up.

The bright side is that it looks like Moore has settled in! I just hope that wasn't because of a lack of expectations on him. If not, this offense may still have a chance.

If none of those running backs can play, I would use more Wishbone and 3-4WR formations. Moore did a great job with his progressions and would trust him with putting more targets out there for him to locate. Also, with the Wishbone, the Panthers can use both fullbacks up front to create some confusion.

In short, despite the injuries, it's still possible that this group comes up with a win in the Meadowlands. WHAT A GREAT WAY THAT WOULD BE FOR US PANTHER FANS TO CLOSE THAT PLACE DOWN!!

Posted by: SYRPIS | Dec 23, 2009 8:41:54 PM

Fox will not be fired this year. Jerry will allow him to work out his contract and if he takes them to SB next year then he will get an extension otherwise he will not be renewed. Cowher is not a good option...it took him too long to win SB w/ Steelers, hiring him is equivalent to Oakland hiring Art Shell or Skins hiring Joe Gibbs. Cowher is done, he is no different than Jim Fassel, Brian Billick, etc.

Posted by: Hindupanther | Dec 23, 2009 8:46:40 PM

I doubt the Panthers will get Cowher. Why would you want Cowher anyways? It took him 14 years to win a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh and plus he would change the defense to a 3-4 which I personally do not want to see happen considering our defense is just now grasping Ron Meeks system and starting to play lights out. The Panthers are going to keep Fox for at least another season, and of course we'll make the playoffs and then he will receive an extension and be around here to bore us with his predictability for many years to come.

Posted by: Drew | Dec 23, 2009 8:48:26 PM

Congrats to Stewart on NFC's OP....He deserves it...

Happy Holidays to each and everyone of you...

Stay Safe and see you on here after the game this weekend..

Posted by: Jennifer | Dec 23, 2009 10:19:43 PM

Gosh people... I am so sick of hearing about this 'new coach' who everyone thinks will miraculously bring this team to playoff contention every year, and a SB ring within 2. Fox is a good coach!!! This is the NFL!! Every team is so evenly matched! Hello!?!?! The Saints were a disappointment last year, and look at them now. There's just more to coaching a team than you OR I know. Leave it to the experts. We do need big improvements at QB, WR and special teams, but our head coach is very good. He's done better than the first two. Suck it up, support your team and be patient. It's only a matter of time before Fox gets a SB ring. I hope it is with the Panthers.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 23, 2009 10:50:53 PM

Unless The Hardheaded Fox is willing to change his coservative ways; sit Delhomme,get another qb and recivers big strong and fast and can catch,he will do the same sorry a$$ job next year.Everybody keeps talking about what he and delhomme did for this frachise,which is good,but it is time to take it to the next level.Not the inconsistency year after year after year.He needs to change with the times,4 yards and a cloud of dust will not win you every game.To get to the next level and beyond ,you need more than just one great reciever and a qb that can manage a game.You need a qb that can takeover a game and recievers to throw to.

Posted by: dee gray | Dec 24, 2009 12:19:12 AM

I can't see Richardson letting Fox go. In fact, if he does, I'll be shocked. I'll be even more shock if we go 1-1 over the next 2 games and he goes. Fact is, if they release Fox they owe him some $$. Second, Fox has a history of bouncing back from bad years. Third, minus some key guys back from injuries and some minor improvements, we are back in the hunt here. It's not as simple as you cut Fox and sign Cower... there is a big price Richardson will pay for that. I just don't see. Unless we finish 0-2 and look horrible, I think Richardson has already made him mind up on this season.

Posted by: Clay | Dec 24, 2009 12:51:31 AM

"I say fox says...where are we are going to find a better coach?"

Ummm....what? People, proofread what you write! Oh, coaches are everywhere. We don't necessarily need a big name coach. If they do their homework they may be able to find an OC or DC that would be a better fit. I say even give Davidson or Meeks the job; who knows how they would do. They are only judged now by what Fox "allows" them to do. Me personally, I wouldn't mind Leslie Frazier from Minnesota.

Bill,
Fox is not a GOOD coach and to judge his coaching compared to "the last two" is irrelevant. It doesn't matter who you have on the staff or players on the field; if the HMFIC doesn't do his job and prepare year in and year out, it all "runs down hill" (or up, depends where you're standing). Change needs to come eventually at some point. Whether that point is now, we will find out.........

Posted by: I's is Smart | Dec 24, 2009 9:34:21 AM